Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
fzero

Re: How to change the LCD and touch pannel of a V synth XT

Post by fzero »

Very happy for you ;)
dspange

Post by dspange »

Hi Halo7 , I just bought a used V-Synth GT from a pawn shop in Orlando for 4 synths (JP8000,original V-Synth,Novation UltraNova, Roland Gaia plus $80. I noticed at the pawn shop after powering the v-synth all the way up the v-synth works fine but one main problem is the main 'touch panel screen' is not working at all
:( The LCD works fine along with the tab buttons and spinwheel.( holding shift down for shortcut works and can get to some editing screens). I decided to still trade my gear for the v-synth gt and hopefully run the latest update 2.0 and get the touch panel to reset and start working. Well the next few days I ran the 2.0 update but the touch panel is still not working. I have been wondering if it would be possible to swap touch screens from a working original v-synth into the v-synth gt. How difficult is this process and would it even work. I believe they are the same touch panel screens type and size. Someone please help me out, this is very frustrating not having the GT fully operational. Getting it serviced would probably be my safest bet but its prob going to be around $600 plus wont have the gt for months . Help Help !!
halo7

Where to buy a touch screen panel for the V-synth GT

Post by halo7 »

Hello dspange,

8 months ago when my V-synth GT touch screen wasn't working I thought about using the original V-synth display. I called Roland and they told me That it will not work for 2 reasons. First the brown Ribbon Connector of the Original V-synth touch screen panel was different from the Ribbon Connector of the V-synth GT touch screen panel, "That's what they said" Second, they said that the Original V-synth Display assembly, not the glass touch screen panel but the Display assembly is a monochrome "black & white" Graphic 320 x 240 dot backlit LCD Display and the V-synth GT Display assembly is a 320 x 240 dot backlit "TFT full color Display" then they told me I could not buy just the outer glass 5.7 inch touch screen panel (pictured below) of the V-synth GT which is just a 5.7 inch glass touch screen panel. They said I had to buy the whole Display assembly "glass touch screen panel along with the 320 x 240 dot backlit TFT full color Display, the whole Display assembly was $599.00 plus extra to install it.

Your best bet is to buy the 5.7 inch glass touch screen panel and install it yourself or take it to a keyboard shop and have them install it. The keyboard shop might charge you a little to install it but it's way cheaper than buying the whole Display assembly from Roland for $599.00 and extra for them to install it. I assume that your GT color display looks good and clear it's just your touch screen panel that's having problems "touch sensitivity problems" Why buy the whole GT Display assembly for $599.00 when all you need is a new touch screen panel which cost $36.00. I got my 5.7 inch glass touch screen panel at ebay, of course :) The company is based in Hong Kong but they accept paypal which is the way I paid for it. The touch screen panel is $36.99 plus $7.00 or $8.00 for shipping. The name of the ebay seller is "goodsupply0889" They have 99.6% Positive Feedback and I had no problems with them. Excellent Transaction and Excellent touch screen panel.

A picture of what the 5.7 inch touch screen panel looks like is pictured below.

Click the link below for the ebay seller page "goodsupply0889" who is selling the 5.7 inch glass touch screen panel. I hope this helps.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-7-inch-Touch- ... 4aab2f58d9
Attachments
5.7 inch touch screen
5.7 inch touch screen
5.7 inch touch screen.jpg (77.88 KiB) Viewed 8614 times
dspange

Post by dspange »

Thanks so much Halo7 for your advice and info. Im really glad you could inform me that the original vsynth touch panel will not work on the GT. Im prob going to order and try to install the touch screen myself into the GT and save the 599, and if I fail then I will take it in for service. It doesnt seem to difficult like you said, just have to be very carefull and dont rush. I will keep you posted and will def ask you if I have any questions or issues with the install.
BIG THANKS Dean
ZerieSak

Not sure

Post by ZerieSak »

I am confused

Not sure, if I understand

Never mind my mistake ...

Post by dspange »

Hey Halo7, Just wanted to let you know I ordered the touch screen 5.7 4pin from good supply on Feb 7th and just waiting on its arrival. Thanks alot for your info on the touch screen replacement. I have disassembled my GT to make sure I could do what I needed to do to replace the screen before ordering, but It seems like the touch screen is glued to the LCD with some kind white glue or something , did you have the same issue when you replaced yours?? How did you separate the two? I don't want to damage the LCD? I would really appreciate your feedback again.

BIG THANKS
Dean from Tampa Florida
dspange

halo7

Post by halo7 »

Hi dspange,

Yes, it's a real thin double stick foam that's placed on all 4 sides of the LCD assembly. I was able by hand "no tools" to very slowly pull my touch screen apart from the LCD assembly without damage and place the new touch screen right over the LCD assembly since the thin double stick foam was still sticky.

If I were you I would wait until you receive the new touch screen before taking out the old one. If you pull your non-working touch screen from the LCD assembly now, the sticky foam may not be so sticky by the time you receive your new touch screen. Just a heads up.

Remember be patient, once you get the new touch screen properly set on the LCD assembly the rest should be downhill from there on. I hope this helps.

Michael
dspange

Post by dspange »

THANK YOU Michael !! I will let you know how it pans out in a few weeks. Big Thanks again!
dspange

Post by dspange »

Hey Halo7 I got the 5.7 touch screen 4pin delivered yesterday! But during my install I unfortunatley happened to put a minor 1inch crack on the touch screen when I was pressing it against the soft two sided white sticky foam. I new it was a bad thing, but I went ahead and installed it anyway. The touch screen was working for a little bit ! But then the 1in crack just got worse as I was pushing against the screen. Then the callibration went off and buttons stopped working correctly :( So I am ordereing a new one once again and should get it in hopefully two weeks again.

I have a question thou, Did you take off the clear protective covering off your touch screen before your install? I had protective covering on both sides of my touch screen , Maybe I should leave the protective cover on the back on to make it more secure so It wont break again during my next install, Im not sure If it will still respond with the clear protective plastic cover on the front panel, I dont think it will.
Big Thanks for you advice again
Dean
halo7

Post by halo7 »

Hello Dean.

Yes, I did peel off the two clear protective coverings on both sides of the touch screen before I installed it. When I was finished installing the touch screen and putting the keyboard back together I took one of the clear protective coverings and placed it in front of the LCD like you see in the music store when they have their keyboards on display for you to play or watch and the keyboard still has the clear protective covering on it.

I placed the clear protective covering on front of the LCD just to keep dust and smudges off the actual touch screen when pressing though the menu options but I still have the option to peel off the clear protective covering anytime I want if I choose to. The clear protective covering in front of the LCD doesn't affect touch response at all. It works fine.

When you install your new touch screen you don't have to apply that much pressure against the the two sides of the touch screen to get it to stick to the sticky foam. If the sticky foam on your LCD assembly is not that sticky anymore you can gently peel or scrap it off the LCD assembly and buy an industrial or professional strength "thin" double sided sticky foam from a hardware store and cut it to lenght and place it on the two sides of the LCD assembly then put the new touch screen over it. This is just a thought in case you run into any problems with your sticky foam on your LCD assembly. I hope this helps.

Michael
dspange

Post by dspange »

Just wanted to get back to you Michael Halo7 and says thanks so much for supplying your info again, I installed the new touch screen (second attempt) and my v-synth gt is working great, and the touch screen responds great. You prob saved me hundreds of dollars, because I prob would have have taken it to a repair shop. So its def worth doing lots of research online before spending so much cash at repair shops. Thanks again bro !!!!

Dean
Attachments
Finally got the v-synth gt up and running 100% !
Finally got the v-synth gt up and running 100% !
roland vsynthgt.jpg (115.98 KiB) Viewed 8436 times
halo7

Post by halo7 »

Awesome! you got it brother. Glad I can help.
Andy A6

Post by Andy A6 »

Wow, so glad I found this thread! I fired up my VSynth yesterday and found the touch screen was not working properly. Only a couple of spots were responding.

The eBay seller is still around and the price of the new digitizer overlay is now only $19 including shipping!!
Thanks guys.
EZB

Re: How to replace the LCD Touch Panel on V-synth GT

Post by EZB »

halo7 wrote:Hello fzero,

I know this post is 15 months old but I just wanted to say "THANK YOU" for the information you put on this post concerning the V-synth LCD and Touch Panel. I was having touch sensitivity problems with just the Touch Panel, not the actual LCD of my V-synth GT. I called Roland USA and they said they couldn't sell me just the Touch Panel. They told me I had to buy The whole LCD assembly which included the Touch Panel. When I asked them how much for the whole LCD, they told me $599.00 for the whole LCD Panel plus extra to install it. I kindly said thank you and started searching the Roland Clan for solutions then I came across your post. I know from your post that your situation was different from the pictures you posted, you needed a new LCD, my case was that I needed just the Touch Panel.

I did some more research and went on ebay and came across a website based on China. I typed on the ebay search "5.7 inch Touch Screen Digitizer panel" and made sure it was a 4-wire pin. I found a 5.7" Touch Panel for $36.99 + $6.00 for shipping by registered mail from China. $42.99 total. The ebay Seller User ID is goodsupply0889. They are based in China and have (6112) transactions and 99.6% Positive Feedback and accept paypal which is how I paid. When I used the buy it now to buy the 5.7" Touch Panel, I hit the request total invoice for the total. When I paid goodsupply0889 for the total through paypal I had to sign into my ebay account twice, weired but the paypal payment went through. I bought the Touch Panel from goodsupply0889 on 5/31/11 and received the Touch Panel today. Installed it into my V-synth GT and it works.

Please note the $42.99 I paid is just for the Touch Panel not the whole LCD assembly from goodsupply0889 on ebay. In any case I want to thank fzero for taking another approach other than Roland for coming up with a solution. This was all possible because of "Artemiy" of course for bringing this forum into existence and because of members like you fzero who took the time to detail all the information you did to make it possible for people like me to do some research to find a solution, because I was up against a rock and a hard place but with a little help and some research my cost was only $42.99 to get back the Touch Sensitivity of my V-synth GT :)

Picture below of Touch Panel with 4-wire pin from goodsupply0889 on ebay. Now changing or replacing the Touch Panel of the V-synth GT does take about an hour. After removing the back cover of the V-synth GT I had to remove one board which contained the (USB and Digital and Optical input and ouputs) This is the only board that is in the way of getting to the LCD display mount. When removing this board disconnect the power cable on the left hand side of this board, it's white with black and red wires. You need to disconnect this cable so that when you remove the screws from the rear of the unit of this board you can easily and gently place this board on its side at the right hand side of the unit without having to disconnect it completely. There are white connectors and very thin ribbon cables etc.. that has to be disconnected along with the screws so you can have access to the LCD Mount. As you do this Take close up pictures or draw a diagram if you can of each step so you can remember where everything was at and what it looked like.

As you start to unscrew and disconnect all the ribbon cables and connectors from the LCD mount remember that one ribbon cable the 4-wire pin one (pictured) and one wider white ribbon cable had to be disconnected by ("FIRST") "releasing a clip open with your thumb and finger to remove these cables "DO NOT YANK OR PULL ON THESE DELICATE RIBBON CABLES WITHOUT FIRST RELEASING THE CLIP OPEN OR YOU WILL BREAK OR STRIP THESE CABLES AND REALLY BE IN TROUBLE" The whole proccess takes time and patience, you do not want to rush through things and break anything. Even if it takes all day to replace your LCD Panel remember, take your time and have everything organized and ready for easy access. Plan ahead and do not jump into anything. Anyway, this is just a starting point for anyone willing to replace their LCD Touch Panel or Replace their Whole LCD Panel for their V-synth GT on their own. I hope this helps a little as a starting point. GOD BLESS.

Thank You Again fzero

Michael
Hello Michael

I want to replace my Touch Panel on the V-Synth GT, but this is the first time I am opening a synth. Could you please give some more details? I am not a native english speaker and therefore I need to know more details. For example, what is meant by the back cover of the V-Synth? Is it the cover containing the knobs and faders or is it the back of the V-Synth containing all the inputs and outputs? Or is the back cover the bottom part of the V-Synth? I only need to open the V-Synth GT and then I expect no trouble replacing it.
Looking forward to your answers and thank you in advance.
Gabriellehto

Post by Gabriellehto »

I'd like to thank you all so much for your help. I had same problem with my v-synth touchscreen... here in my country only the display with touch screen from Roland cost about US$1000.00... so. it is very very expensive!! This without the service of the assistance. But with your help I payed only US$ 15.00 on e-Bay ... so a big thank you for you all!!

My experience is that was easy to moderate to change it ... the only tricky part is to take out the old touch screen from the double-sided adhesive foam that is attached on LCD... you need to go very slowly in order to release the touchscreen glass... I started trying to put a tool like a knife or a screwdriver but I noticed that the glass could brake easily so I followed your instructions here in this forum.. so released the touchscreen glass by hand without any tool very very slowly and this worked perfectly!

The other attention is to the 2 flat cables that you need to detach to take out the LCD "module"... One small flat cable is form the touchscreen glass itself and the other flat cable is from LCD screen... but if you release the latches carefully you will not have any problem with this.

So my v-synth is like new again, working perfectly!

Again thank you so much for all information and help!!
Gabriel Lehto