Problem with MAC OSX Lion

Forum for Apple Mac computers
JunoJohn

Re: Problem with MAC OSX Lion

Post by JunoJohn »

JunoJohn wrote:1) Install Windows on your Mac and use the Windows version of Roland's software.
On second thought, that option looks like a mess.

Boot Camp 4 for Lion only supports Windows 7 and there is no Windows 7 version of the Juno-G Editor & Librarian. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is an article on Boot Camp with a possible workaround:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20 ... -or-later/
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

Thanks for all that info guys. I have 3 mac's. One running Tiger and two on Leopard.
All my live and studio hardware and software runs nicely at present.
I was looking into purchasing a new mac and upgrading the others to Lion but my research here and elsewhere suggests that I may be buying a huge millstone for my own neck.
I think Apple may have shot themselves in the foot on this one as there must be many more musicians (and other die hard mac users for that matter) who will be experiencing the lack of backward compatibility as a very expensive problem.
Is this Apple's version of Windows VISTA?

B4D
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Yes, backward compatibility has long been a problem for Mac users. Apple often takes the approach of "out with old, in with the new." That can leave us users feeling left behind.

I've been through the 68K to PowerPC transition, the "Classic" OS to OS X transition, and the PowerPC to Intel transition. It can be bewildering.

Lion sounds like a new leap forward, more "Mac OS 11" than 10.7.

Oh well, it's useful to keep obsolete Mac's around, anyway.

I fired up the old Quadra 610 last night!

------------------------------------------------

P.S. I just discovered, Snow Leopard's spell-check doesn't recognize "Quadra" as a word!
MartyM

Post by MartyM »

I realize this is a bit late but I bought a macbook Pro in July 2012.
It was the version that had been out since late 2011, pre the "Retina" versions.

It came with Lion pre-installed BUT I was able to install Snow Leopard 10.6.7 on it.

That was the minimum software version that would be seen by the machine and I was
able to borrow that particular DVD from a friend.
I then upgraded to SL 10.6.8

Lion is a PIG and both Lion / Mountain Lion still have major issues running logic pro.

It can be done but for machines later than that version it's impossible.

Marty.