Logic Load Up Time

Forum for SonicCell
DEVO-UK

Logic Load Up Time

Post by DEVO-UK »

Hi

Rather than bounce my midi files down to a stick to go in the back of the Sc for live work, I would prefer to keep my Logic / SC set up for live.

The main reason is onsite editing at live gigs, which would be a ball ache from the SC

The problem is that it takes 30 - 40 seconds to load each song, which is too long.

Is there any way of speeding this up?
rcraven

Re: Logic Load Up Time

Post by rcraven »

It takes 40sec to load a song into Logic?
I'm glad I use Sonar.
How long does it take to load a Midi file into Logic?

It is possible to have a number of songs loaded into Sonar at the same time.
Can you load a sets worth of songs at the start of the bracket and swap from song to song in Logic.
No flexibility of song choice during the set though.

Can you mainly use the SC USB files and only load the songs you need to change?

Royce
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

Hey Royce

Logic just takes about 30 - 40 seconds to make the connection with Logic each time you load up a new song, which is an eternity if you are doing one song at a time.

Yes, one solution is to load two or three songs into one Logic track, which is the solution I think I'm going to use. It all depends how many backing track lines you have for each song, as you're limited to 16, but still doable to squeeze 3 in at times. Great for continuity as well, as the can program transitions between them.

The DR-880 is amazing by the way. I'm using the drums on one channel and the bass on an other. Impressed with that.
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

Sorry Royce. I didn't read your post correctly.

A logic file loads instantly. It's the connection to the SC that takes approx 30 seconds each time you load a different song.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'connection to the SC'
Are you sending heaps of sysex at the start?
I load a Midi song in Sonar in about 2 sec then hit play and we are off.
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

I've no idea.

I load a song and I get the Sonic Cell pop up box, then a box "Now getting data" then a box ''Now synchronizing data" and it loads.
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

It just takes 30 seconds. I'm only using Logic as the midi file player, so maybe I should transfer everything to Sonar.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Sounds like Logic is loading the VST editor every time a song is loaded and the VST Editor is then downloading the current SC state in Midi.
Are you using the VST editor live?
I am assuming you are putting the patch, volume and pan etc in each of the tracks of the song and not relying on the editor to load this stuff.

Do you put the VST editor in a separate track in Logic ?
Try muting the VST track, but I think you will have to delete the track with the SC VST editor in each song.

Can you have multiple songs loaded in Logic and flick between them?
Song 1 just the VST - always stays loaded
Song 2 the Midi data of the song. Close when played and open the next song

An alternative would be to have a Song with just the VST editor set up an when you load it, it will take the 30 seconds to load but just once.

Now import/merge a song saved as a MIDI file.
Play the song then press undo to remove the imported midi file and the import the next song/midi file.

Or better still load the stand alone version of the editor and don't have the VST in Logic.

All the best
Royce
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Having thought about it a bit more and the fact that you have Sonar, although this would probably work in Logic, you might like to try this.
Using this method you can use the Editor VST to put in the patches, vol, pan etc without inserting this data into the Sonar tracks.

At home load your song and open the SC editor VST.
In the editor under FILE/Export SMF select the Performance and save the midi file.
Delete the SC VST track.
In Sonar
Create a new Midi track
Go to the start of the song
File/Import/Midi and load in the midi file you just created.
Grab all the tracks except the new sysex one and shift them after the end of the sysex data in that track.
Now you should be good to go.
Save as either a Sonar file or a Midi (format 1 is best) file to load into Logic at a gig.

A full Performance load to the SC takes less than 2sec on my PC

All the best
Royce
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

Royce!

You're a bloody genius...

I do have the editor in a track in Logic.

Delete this and it loads in 1 sec.

I can keep the editor in until I decide my final mix and then delete it for the live files.

Very happy.

Thanks.
miden

Post by miden »

Royce, is there a way to actually embed the SYSex data created by the VST editor within Sonar itself, rather than have to open a separate editor?

I use Sonar and I have been trying to work out which way is best - Use the Sonar Playlist and simply load CWP's (although as written above this might take a long time to load when at a gig!!)

But embedding the data as midi into the backing track file itself is cool...just wonder if the VST editor will do it from within Sonar?

Thanks

Dennis
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi Dennis,
short answer is
1) you can put any midi data into a track in Sonar.
2) you can record sysex messages
What exactly are you trying to do?
I'll see if I can supply the sysex

Royce
miden

Post by miden »

Hi Royce,

Essentially what I want to achieve is the editing of all the parts using the MFX and other functions of the VST editor, and then save all that sysex into the SMF itself, so that if it is played on anything else - eg loading from a thumbdrive - then the smf will play EXACTLY the same as how it was setup in Sonar...assuming of course it is playing into a SC :)

Dennis
miden

Post by miden »

I mean, I liked your method outlined above, but I was just wondering if I could save a step byt not having to export the Editor VST settings as a midi and then re-import back into the SMF within Sonar....

Dennis
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

The changes in the editor as a VST are stored in the Sonar song as VST parameters.
These won't be saved as Midi as far as I know.

So you have to import the saved sysex data if you want to embed it into a Midi file.