G7 & Sonar X1 Producer

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
fantomCK

Re: G7 & Sonar X1 Producer

Post by fantomCK »

your getting there......if you want to play and record part 1, click and highlite the midi track with channel part 1 in sonar,,if you want to play and record part 2, click and highlite the midi track with channel 2 in sonar and so on......so part set up is the editor.....changing the midi channels, playing and recording is Sonar...the fantom is press the keys....dude, i hope i am clear...been doing this since it was called cakewalk 5
Ghost76

Post by Ghost76 »

I think it's just all fallen into place...

It doesn't matter which patch I can hear being played for any given part because all Sonar is recording is a stream of MIDI data for any given MIDI track :)
Ghost76

Post by Ghost76 »

fantomCK wrote:got a new brian drain for ya......do you know how to sync your fantom LFO clock to sonar, making all those pulsating sound follow your sonar tempo..... if not, make new post and i will answer!! ha

HEY roland or cakewalk i want a job working your help phone lines

I suspect it has something to do with these settings in Sonar here but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing.

Do I need to set the Sync Mode to 'Master', Sync Output to 'On' & Clock Source to 'USB' in the Fantom's System\Sync&Tempo settings?
fantomCK

Post by fantomCK »

set you sonar to this
s1.png
s1.png (111.59 KiB) Viewed 10634 times
then on your fanton G, press menu, then system, then go to sync/tempo page.....there change sync mode to SLAVE-MIDI......

there ya go your sonar is now controlling your fantom G

one note......if you close sonar your fantoms tempo will not work...make sure to change the sync/mode back to MASTER.......

have fun......CK
Ghost76

Post by Ghost76 »

fantomCK wrote:set you sonar to this

there ya go your sonar is now controlling your fantom G

one note......if you close sonar your fantoms tempo will not work...make sure to change the sync/mode back to MASTER.......

have fun......CK
Ok cool, that's a great help I've got everything set, how can I set up a simple test to help me understand this configuration?

also....
fantomCK wrote:
ps if softsynth is used, set out to it intsead of setting it to fantom
When I do this I'm not hearing any audio despite observing the visual indicators that True Piano is receiving data from the G7.

If I change the softsynths output to FantomG I can hear what ever patch is loaded on the G7.

Everything else is still set up in external studio mode as per this thread and working to my expectations, recording midi, hearing audio etc.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong this time.

Apologies for all the questions & thanks for taking the time to respond.
fantomCK

Post by fantomCK »

thats the same settings i use on rapture.....and they work for me.....maybe a shut down restart.....its strange.......hope it clears up......maybe try some other soft synth......see if it works.....CK
Ghost76

Post by Ghost76 »

Problem solved, the 'input select' for the Mix In function defaults to Line in L/R when creating a new project, just need changing back to USB Audio.

All part of the learning process... doh! :)
jahrome

Post by jahrome »

Last night, I discovered that the Fantom G editor will not work with Cubase 6. So a forum member recommended Sonar X1. I downloaded the demo which I can use for 30 days. It was fairly easy to setup and use with my Fantom G...although it did crash on me initially. The problem I am having now is setting up the metronome. I am trying to use "Audio Metronome." But the drop down box doesn't display any audio to select. Does anyone have a solution?
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

the metronome box can select metronome on rec, playback, both on none.. right clicking brings up the metronome preferences.
Audio metronome is on by default and there is a dropdown box of about 100 different things that can be used as the 1, and other beats... so unless this is a restriction in the demo software (which i doubt they would bother)..then i cant help..

fyi the forums at cakewalk.com are extremely helpful..and you should get a rapid response.
jahrome wrote:Last night, I discovered that the Fantom G editor will not work with Cubase 6. So a forum member recommended Sonar X1. I downloaded the demo which I can use for 30 days. It was fairly easy to setup and use with my Fantom G...although it did crash on me initially. The problem I am having now is setting up the metronome. I am trying to use "Audio Metronome." But the drop down box doesn't display any audio to select. Does anyone have a solution?
jahrome

Post by jahrome »

Mystic38 wrote:the metronome box can select metronome on rec, playback, both on none.. right clicking brings up the metronome preferences.
Audio metronome is on by default and there is a dropdown box of about 100 different things that can be used as the 1, and other beats... so unless this is a restriction in the demo software (which i doubt they would bother)..then i cant help..

fyi the forums at cakewalk.com are extremely helpful..and you should get a rapid response.
jahrome wrote:Last night, I discovered that the Fantom G editor will not work with Cubase 6. So a forum member recommended Sonar X1. I downloaded the demo which I can use for 30 days. It was fairly easy to setup and use with my Fantom G...although it did crash on me initially. The problem I am having now is setting up the metronome. I am trying to use "Audio Metronome." But the drop down box doesn't display any audio to select. Does anyone have a solution?
Yeah that is the problem. The drop down box is empty...no samples.
Head-of-Sound

Post by Head-of-Sound »

Hey guys - Thanks for all your posts! All I had to do was read through all the issues you guys have been having and found all the answers to my issues! Thanks a lot. I am actually good with manuals but the Fantom G8 has to be one of the worst manuals I have ever come across. I am still on Sonar 8.5. Judging by what you guys are saying X1 is the biz! Nice one!
Head-of-Sound

Post by Head-of-Sound »

Just reading all your posts has solved all of my issues with the G8 and Sonar! Thanks guys. Your all legends!
MrMan

Post by MrMan »

Gents,

Slightly different topic here...

I currently run Sonar HS6 and have had a few problems with latency and bugs with MIDI, I was considering upgrading to Sonar X1 and was wondering if you had any views on how HS6 and X1 compare, have you had any midi issues with X1 or latency issues ?

I use Sonar with a G7 and V-Synth GT V2, amongst other boards...

Your experiences would be much apprechiated..
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

I actually went from HS6 to Sonar 8.5.3 and then to x1 Producer...

First of all, you will love x1.. its a massive upgrade to the UI and a far better workflow than hs6 or 8.5.3. I do not have any midi or latency issues that is not my gear, and the FG syncs no problem.

I would take a long look at the different versions of sonar as the Producer version bundles a huge amount of stuff that is worth 5x what you pay for... I actaully have since upgraded to the "expanded" version to use the prochannel strip modules..

suggest you d/l the demo and take it from there...
MrMan

Post by MrMan »

THanks Mystic thats very helpfull, I will have a look at the demo....