Korg Krome...

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
cello

Korg Krome...

Post by cello »

New 'Major announcement' from Korg is the Krome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91uwSddPO24

Looks like an M50/M3 replacement - or some might say a Kronos Lite. Somewhat under-whelming...

Not for me but probably a good middle-market keyboard depending on pricing. But as far as this season's big announcements go I think it is Roland 1-0 Korg!

What do you all think?
Jan_nl

Re: Korg Krome...

Post by Jan_nl »

Well, I look at it this way: if you play live a lot, then the Krome offers you a great light-weight stage piano and standard workstation features in one.
It's practical, useful, and it was expected to arrive sooner or later, and positioned to rival the MO series of Yamaha.

I would not really classify it as a KRONOS Lite since it does not offer any of the modeling engines of the KRONOS as far as I can tell, apart from the pianos.
louparte

Post by louparte »

I don't know if it has KARMA on-board. Probably not. It has two arpeggiators instead.

I own an M3m. So I'm definitely not interested. The Integra 7 looks better to me.
I agree with cello. In 2012, it's Roland 1 - Korg 0.
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

M3M is a 1.6k module. The 61 key model of Krome is a 1k synth, which you can probably buy for 850 if you wait for some discounts. Price-wise it's in the same range as Gi. It has a touchscreen, a sequencer and easy-to-use drum tracks. It also seems like it should sound better than M50*. This is a petty damn good proposal.

(*Disclaimer: I did not play it. No idea how it sounds, but they seem to emphasize "derived from Kronos" a lot.)
louparte

Post by louparte »

Gambler wrote:M3M is a 1.6k module. The 61 key model of Krome is a 1k synth, which you can probably buy for 850 if you wait for some discounts. Price-wise it's in the same range as Gi. It has a touchscreen, a sequencer and easy-to-use drum tracks. It also seems like it should sound better than M50*. This is a petty damn good proposal.

(*Disclaimer: I did not play it. No idea how it sounds, but they seem to emphasize "derived from Kronos" a lot.)
The two arpeggiators are worth having. i had a Triton LE w/2 arpeggiators. It was great.
My M3M has zero arpeggiators.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

louparte wrote: The two arpeggiators are worth having. i had a Triton LE w/2 arpeggiators. It was great.
My M3M has zero arpeggiators.
What about Karma ? M3M does not have karma?
Karma is much more than simply an Arpeggiator...is a SUPER Arpeggiator
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

The M3M that he is talking about is the old M1 version module from the 90's Paulo. It was kind of an odd name. You would have thought they would have called it the M1M. And then they came out with the M3 keyboard later that did have KARMA.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:
The M3M that he is talking about is the old M1 version module from the 90's Paulo. It was kind of an odd name. You would have thought they would have called it the M1M. And then they came out with the M3 keyboard later that did have KARMA.
Ah...ok ok, oppssss my mistake SW. I must confess I didn't know about that old M1 being called M3M, as there is an M3M which is the M3 Module alone, and that one has karma, so that's why I said that...

Always learning
;-)
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Easy to get confused Paulo. Remember the M1 successor was originally to be called the M10, but then they flipped it upside down to become the 01/W. And after the 2-rack unit module version 01R/W came out, they released a stripped down 1-rack unit version called...you guessed it...The 03R/W!

Using that logic the successor to the Kronos should be the Sonork, and the module version would be the Sonork 03RM.

Go figure! ;-D
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Easy to get confused Paulo. Remember the M1 successor was originally to be called the M10, but then they flipped it upside down to become the 01/W.
No my dear Soundworld, it is you that are confused. As you can see below, the keyboard was indeed named M10.

Don't you know anything about Grok?

Grok???
uh… wait a minute… I need to think about this…
M10.jpg
M10.jpg (19.28 KiB) Viewed 4498 times
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

No my dear Soundworld, it is you that are confused. As you can see below, the keyboard was indeed named M10.

Don't you know anything about Grok?

Grok???
uh… wait a minute… I need to think about this…
From your vantage point, I think it would actually be DF M\10, and I knew all about GROK since the RedRum incident up at the Koolrevo hotel in them thar hills!

Heeeeres' Johnny!! ;-D
cello

Post by cello »

tabmoW rammarG strikes again... ;)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

SW...Arghhhh, rof a tnemom uoy tog em yllaer deufnoc

LOL
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

For a moment there I was mighty flustered! I searched and searched for the word "confued" to no avail! And then it struck me...I must have deufnoc myself with a water buffalo! :-D