assign pedal to rotary slow fast so hands free ?

Forum for JUPITER-80
shaneblyth

assign pedal to rotary slow fast so hands free ?

Post by shaneblyth »

I am coming from a Kurzweil setup it sets the sustain pedal or a foot switch to the slow of fast speed switching. Any idea how to do this on a Jupiter 80?
Dany

Re: assign pedal to rotary slow fast so hands free ?

Post by Dany »

shaneblyth wrote:I am coming from a Kurzweil setup it sets the sustain pedal or a foot switch to the slow of fast speed switching. Any idea how to do this on a Jupiter 80?
In the Live Set Edit's EFFECTS Tab, after having choosen the MFX "Rotary" (No. 21) or "VK Rotary" (No.22), enter MFX edit and on the right part of the screen you will see the frame MFX CONTROL with four control sections 1-4.

Choose one section and set the MFX CONTROL "Source" parameter to CC64 (Hold-1) if you have connected a hold switch pedal to HOLD, or set it to CC11 (Expression) if you have connected a control pedal to CTRL 1 or 2.

Set the MFX CONTROL "Destination" parameter to "Speed" and the "Sens" parameter to "+63" or whatever value you need.

That's it... ;)

PS: This principle works (with any MFX) for control pedals, foot switch and of course for any other controller, included aftertouch(!), the four controller knobs, Tone Blender (which gives you the option to control the usual Tone Blender parameters and at the same time several additional effect parameters, with just one knob!), Pitch Bend lever(!), Control lever, Switch Buttons 1&2 and D-Beam...

-
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

Dany wrote:
shaneblyth wrote:I am coming from a Kurzweil setup it sets the sustain pedal or a foot switch to the slow of fast speed switching. Any idea how to do this on a Jupiter 80?
In the Live Set Edit's EFFECTS Tab, after having choosen the MFX "Rotary" (No. 21) or "VK Rotary" (No.22), enter MFX edit and on the right part of the screen you will see the frame MFX CONTROL with four control sections 1-4.

Choose one section and set the MFX CONTROL "Source" parameter to CC64 (Hold-1) if you have connected a hold switch pedal to HOLD, or set it to CC11 (Expression) if you have connected a control pedal to CTRL 1 or 2.

Set the MFX CONTROL "Destination" parameter to "Speed" and the "Sens" parameter to "+63" or whatever value you need.

That's it... ;)

PS: This principle works (with any MFX) for control pedals, foot switch and of course for any other controller, included aftertouch(!), the four controller knobs, Tone Blender (which gives you the option to control the usual Tone Blender parameters and at the same time several additional effect parameters, with just one knob!), Pitch Bend lever(!), Control lever, Switch Buttons 1&2 and D-Beam...

-
Thanks so much ill go give it a go now

shane
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

Dany this works great except I didn't realise that there is only the possibility of 1 foot switch on the J80 I thought there was 3 plugs on the back but the other 2 are controllers for expression pedals which sucks so I have to use the hold pedal

So how does one stop the hold pedal from being used as sustain yet still works with the Leslie?

You have to hold the pedal down to get the fast speed so it sustains the notes which an organ doesn't do which ruins the effect. Its a shame the Kurzweil you just tap the foot switch and it toggles fast then slow when tapped again, a much better system

thanks
Dany

Post by Dany »

You can easily deactivate the "Hold" function of the pedal individually for Solo, Lower LiveSet, Upper LiveSet and Perc part in Registration edit in the "Common/Control" tab with the menu point "Control SW", so that you can use it solely for Rotary control.

Otherwise, an expression pedal seems to be the only solution, and it will keep the parameter value with its position...

-
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

Dany wrote:You can easily deactivate the "Hold" function of the pedal individually for Solo, Lower LiveSet, Upper LiveSet and Perc part in Registration edit in the "Common/Control" tab with the menu point "Control SW", so that you can use it solely for Rotary control.

Otherwise, an expression pedal seems to be the only solution, and it will keep the parameter value with its position...

-
Thanks once again really appreciate your time and input

shane
Dany

Post by Dany »

shaneblyth wrote:
Thanks once again really appreciate your time and input

shane
Nothing at all....because I've just realized, that my tip was wrong! If you deactivate the "Hold" function in Registration edit, it completely deactivates the Hold Pedal and you can't control anything with it... :(

-
Dany

Post by Dany »

I've just found a solution: You can also deactivate the "Hold" function in LiveSet edit, individually for all four layers, in the "Layer" tab in the menu point "Rx Filter1". The Hold pedal will then still work to control the Rotary (or any other) effect, but not hold the notes ...

-
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

Dany wrote:I've just found a solution: You can also deactivate the "Hold" function in LiveSet edit, individually for all four layers, in the "Layer" tab in the menu point "Rx Filter1". The Hold pedal will then still work to control the Rotary (or any other) effect, but not hold the notes ...

-
cool awesome stuff. Off to give it a go
cheers again
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

Hmm doesnt seem to work for me. I assume you are using version 2.00?
Dany

Post by Dany »

shaneblyth wrote:Hmm doesnt seem to work for me. I assume you are using version 2.00?
I've just tested it once again, to be sure that I wasn't telling you BS again... ;)

But it really works 100%, if you deactivate the Hold function on the LiveSet Level.

(Sorry for the possibly stupid question, but are you sure that you have reactivated the Hold function on the Registration level after experimenting?)

I have System Version 2.10 installed.

Good luck!

-
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

Dany wrote:
shaneblyth wrote:Hmm doesnt seem to work for me. I assume you are using version 2.00?
I've just tested it once again, to be sure that I wasn't telling you BS again... ;)

But it really works 100%, if you deactivate the Hold function on the LiveSet Level.

(Sorry for the possibly stupid question, but are you sure that you have reactivated the Hold function on the Registration level after experimenting?)

I have System Version 2.10 installed.

Good luck!

-
its probably not a dumb question your asking at all I only bought the JP80 last Saturday and its a bit of a brain bender sometimes. so if you could tell me how exactly you are getting to both the registration area and live set area for the Hold function (pedal (64). Just incase I am getting lost but I dont think i am but I must be.
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

OK got it sorry but I re read it and I had it backwards. Registration off and Live set on swapped it and bam, awesome sorry for wasting so much of your time.
cheers

shane
sviviani

Post by sviviani »

Hi I'm a new owner of a Jupiter. I'd like to resume a four year old post because I've the same problem...
At liveset level I've filtered hold events of all the tones, but I noticed that supernatural synth and other supernatural acoustic honor the filter, but tw organ don't. My Jupiter firmware is 2.11 and is factory resetted...
Am I forgetting something?
Thanks.