JP8000 replacing battery

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
rinslvinly

Re: JP8000 replacing battery

Post by rinslvinly »

Needed to do a battery change in my jp8000. found this thread. Thank you all for providing the information. Install was quick and painless and everything is working great. best,rob
CaptainK

Post by CaptainK »

ANDY T, thank you very much for your advice about resetting the ribbon and bender controllers, after a battery replacement. I'm a little confused though.

You say "P.S don't forget you will also need to do a factory reset for the Patch mode,Performance mode and the RPS patterns."

I think you mean just ONE overall factory reset is needed, correct?

I am very surprised that Roland clearly FORGOT to include full details of how to use TEST MODE functions, which from time to time are important for troubleshooting.

CaptainK.
Andy.T

Post by Andy.T »

Hi Captain,
Your'e welcome.
I expect you're sorted by now,but yes,the one factory reset will do all you need.
Andy
teknical

Post by teknical »

A big thanks from me too Andy, I thought my JP was going to the great gig in the sky after replacing the battery.

Kevin
johnxyz

Post by johnxyz »

Thanks for the info and video. Changing the battery was easy. BUT - the memory was still intact when switched back on! All the factory programs are still there. However, it says 'memory 'damaged every time i switch on, though all is working ok.

Any ideas why this is? I've done the bender and pad reset and all fine.

Thanks.john
johnxyz

Post by johnxyz »

Sorted. Some patches were corrupt. Did the factory reset and all sorted. Error message also gone.
Bonzowolf

Post by Bonzowolf »

I have replaced the battery and init Factory preset and have got the bender and ribbon functions to work again, thanks to this forum! As I write a Performance or Patch it is also successful, but while turning of and on the JP8000 the new Performances and Patches are gone and the Factory presets appears again. On Battery check it says the battery is ok, so I wonder why The the JP8000 resets its self when shut off?
swed20000

Post by swed20000 »

Hey Andy,
Thanks for your post, you saved me a bunch of cash on this one! I saw a couple videos and read your postings; put the battery in and WOW! I must say it was not unlike digging into a tower case on a PC to replace the CMOS battery. At any rate, thanks for pointing out the fact that the unit needs to be disconnected from the wall outlet. This is very important as all it takes is a wayward discharge and it is good-bye for sure. I read about an unfortunate soul that tried the battery replacement, then could not get it to function after. Kinda makes me wonder if he/she forgot to unplug the unit and/or put on a grounding strap prior to starting the job. Guess we will never know. Thanks again for your help buddy! Cheers, Swed :)
alasaur

Post by alasaur »

Hi there!

I wondered if you can help me. I replaced the battery in my JP8000 but now I'm experiencing problems. Some of the performance patches are now undulating as if the bender is being moved or the waveform has gone trippy and a couple of the patches break up slightly.

I've performed the factory preset and the other preset Andy kindly posted up above. Can anyone help me? I'm feeling sad. No error messages have shown up. Have I done something bad?
johnxyz

Post by johnxyz »

Follow Andy T's instructions on page 1 of this thread again. Be sure to follow very closely. It might work this time.
john
htercek

Post by htercek »

Hey all, thanks for this entire thread. It really helped in replacing the battery for my recently acquired JP-8000.
However, I've noticed that now whenever I boot my JP-8000 up normally the screen turns on then dims to black and when I boot into test mode, only the top half of the screen turns on with no text displaying.
The synth works as it should, the only problem is the dead screen.

Does anybody have an idea as to what my problem might be?

Thanks!
wequendi

Post by wequendi »

HI guys i have a problem that arised recently, everytime i try to play sounds from my jp 8080 they sound out of tune, this happened after performing a factory reset, i never had that problem until now, how do you fix it?
johnxyz

Post by johnxyz »

I'd try factory reset again first.

And the post above, I think your screen is part dead, or maybe needs re-seating on the pcb.
john
Andy.T

Post by Andy.T »

I'm sorry to report that after owning my JP8000 for over 10 years, I reluctantly moved it on just before Christmas.
I delayed as long as I could but simply ran out of room. I have replaced it with the Moog sub37.
Thinking about it, if I had a pound for every time my thread had been viewed, I probably could have
got myself a huge moog modular !!
Glad to have helped so many users and appreciate the posts thanking me.
Happy new year
Andy