magikroom

Just picked up this baby - Juno 6

Post by magikroom »

Having too much fun ;)

http://i.imgur.com/s4XmPc1.jpg
johnxyz

Re: Just picked up this baby - Juno 6

Post by johnxyz »

My first polysynth back in '83. Its in good nick by the looks… Pain to keep changing the sliders without memories though.
magikroom

Post by magikroom »

johnxyz wrote:My first polysynth back in '83. Its in good nick by the looks… Pain to keep changing the sliders without memories though.
I find the fact that it doesn't have memories, really interesting and challenging. Of course, not having MIDI is a pain, but managed to figure out how to clock the Arp on it, using my iPad. Did a video yesterday for Reddit, as someone was interested how I did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTZ_k6f62dY
monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

Hi MagicRoom,

Today i join you in the world of the Juno 6 !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1367wt_722

Your's looks beautiful in the photo and with light wood sides !!

Paul
batpuppy

Post by batpuppy »

Well done, buddy!

I've been playing this baby for 30 years and still find new sounds. Although there are mods to help with the MIDI situation, I prefer to keep mine original.

Keep up the good work,

batpuppy

PS. Try this...

ARPEGGIO: OFF

LFO
Rate: 7
Delay Time: 4.5
Trig Mode: AUTO

DCO
LFO: 4
PWM: 6
LFO/MAN/ENV: ENV
OSC: PWM + TRI (No SUB)
NOISE: 0

HPF: 0

VCF

FREQ: 4
RES: 0
ENV Toggle: UP
LFO: 0
KYBD: 6.25

VCA: ENV

ENV:
A: 2.5
D: 6
S: 5.5
R: 4

...for a bit of 80's nostalgia!!!

Cheers,

Batpuppy
monsterjazzlicks

Thanks man,

That's truly awesome of you for sharing a setting. Its getting delivered this week so I am very excited.

I wanted the Juno 60 originally but people are asking stupid prices, its ridiculous !!

Do you live in the UK ??

What does MISI mean please ?? Is it to do with Midi/Sync ??

Ta,

Paul
batpuppy

Post by batpuppy »

Hi Buddy,

Sorry, I edited this since your post. I meant MIDI (key slip). BTW, I bought mine from Rushworths in Liverpool in 1984. Looks like you are close to my original haunt, or thereabouts. Live in Swindon, now.

Cheers,

batpuppy
monsterjazzlicks

Hi mate,

Rushworths is now Dawsons. That's capitalism for you !!

How much did you originally pay for you Juno 6 please ?? I would be very interested to know. The average musicians wage was about £160 per week then I think.

I paid £400 plus postage on ebay last month. That's quite good cause they sell for around £600 on average.

Ta,

Paul
batpuppy

Post by batpuppy »

Mate,

That was a bargain. I was too young to cough up for it myself. I was a piano player but the teachers were fed up of me 'playing by ear' so my parents jacked in the lessons after Grade 6. Very grateful to them but they paid £400 plus a piano which was way over the odds at the time. I cherished it ever since but with VST instruments and JV1010/1080's once I was working, I put it in the loft for safe keeping. I pulled the J6 out again recently but all that aging gave me a keyboard contact issue and a major issue with tuning that I couldn't control with the rear adjustment pot. So, with a bit of electronics in me by this stage, I managed to fix it all. It now sits proud again in a spare room studio which is why I joined today, as a big fan. Y'know, once you get the hang of the programming, it's like riding a bike. It was my main stage instrument in the 1980s and I could setup for the next song in 10 seconds: strings, piano, all that sort of thing. I'm a bit slower at the moment but it's all coming back to me. I reckon you'll love it.

Cheers,

batpuppy (also called Paul)
monsterjazzlicks

Thanks man,

That's very interesting to know.

Juno 60's sell for up to £1,500 which is just insane !!

I always dream about he Jupiter 8, but again they sell for £5,000 !! I bidded £2,000 on one last night only to find it had been removed by ebay this morning due to it being disingenuous. In any case, I will spend sometime with the Juno 6 and see how I get along.

When I turned pro in 1988 everyone was getting rid of their analogues to make way for the Korg M1 and Roland D50. So I missed out on many of the early synths.

Last year I won a MiniMoog and a DX7 but (due to a broken leg and fractured ankle !!) I have not made much progress with either. I have a couple of excellent books on FM Synthesis which I am due to start reading soon. But I just got Virgin Media Tivo Box and I am hooked on CSI New York / Miami !!! lol

Ta,

Paul
batpuppy

Post by batpuppy »

The ole' D50. I used to sell them when I worked in a music shop back in the day. Fave patch was 'Digital Native Dance'. Never heard anything like it back then. I always coveted the DX7. Got myself a S/H DX9 back then due to costs but it wasn't touch sensitive and only 4 operators and I kinda lost out. I keep looking at the DX7 on ebay, plus the DX7S and IID/IIFD but I have NI FM8 these days so rely on the old 'bat-puter' for FM sounds.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

batpuppy
monsterjazzlicks

Yes the DX9 is non touch sensitive and only 4 x operators. I do not think it was overly popular when they came out. There is an absolutely BRILLIANT video on You Tube of a lecture by a UK guy (John Bristow) talking about how he helped the Japanese develop the DX series. I can send you the link if you are interested. Everyone says FM Synthesis is very difficult to understand and that FM stands for Fear Of Maths !!

The guy I bought the Juno 6 off bought it new in the 1980's and gigged it a bit in function bands. He now runs a guitar shop in Cardiff and said it had been sat unused for 12 x years so he wanted to sell it. Somebody bid £800 on it and then pulled out. So he had to relist it and we agreed £400 for a quick sale.

From what I can gather on You Tube, it needs to be put thru some FX as it can sound a bit sterile and stark on its own (unless you are using it for bass sounds).
monsterjazzlicks

Does anyone if and what type of SUSTAIN PEDAL you can use with the JUNO 6 please ?? Would be nice to use this facility on 'pad' type sounds if possible.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Roland DP-2 (or the equivalent)

Do you have the manual?

http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/JUNO-6_OM.pdf
monsterjazzlicks

Thanks JJ,

I really appreciate that. I did not have the manual so that's helpful.

So like this one :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roland-DP-2-D ... 5d414806d7

There are tons of Preset Diagrams in the manual which is really helpful. I had no idea the manual would have so many in. Are these the Presets which come shipped with the Juno 60 and 106 ??

Ta,

Paul