Official Juno-G replacements from Roland!

Forum for JUNO-G
Stovinator

Official Juno-G replacements from Roland!

Post by Stovinator »

Hey guys,

I, like many of you, had at some point their lcd screen bust, break down or go crazy. When all attempts failed to find a replacement (even though I really didn't want to pay upwards of $150 for an old, likely-to-break screen) I called up Roland directly last fall.

The guy at the parts desk said they were sourcing out a company to make replacements. This has come true! The screens are in Vancouver, BC and mine is on it's way! I actually can't believe it. I was at terms with my Juno-G's fate and moved on. But, no more ;-)

The new screens are apparently a quite bit different and improved. Along with a different hardware installation than what would be expected, I'm told the new screens come with a software update as well (I believe from the screen manufacturer, not Roland though). The rep who called me back said that this is done at Roland, and it's not a DIY sort of thing.

Also, I'm in Ontario, Canada. Roland has an office in Mississauga that is going to handle this for me.

To all of those frustrated, disappointed and miss their Juno-G, your day has come!

Much love,
Kyle
marczellm

Re: Official Juno-G replacements from Roland!

Post by marczellm »

I have also heard from service that new screen replacements are on the way. The new screen is different and that's the reason for the software update, that's otherwise identical with Version 2.

Can you post pictures of how your new screen looks like? (If it's any different from the default.)
Stovinator

Post by Stovinator »

Will do. I'm sending it in this week, so I'll pass along any important info if anything else comes up.
akiwasaya

Post by akiwasaya »

Hi Kyle, I'm Sergio from Argentina. I own a Roland Juno G with the lcd failure problem.
I've read that you send the keyboard to Roland because "it's not a DIY sort of thing".
What if I buy a replacement LCD screen and try to install by myself?
My name is Sergio Flamminio. You can find me at Facebook so we can chat about it.
Thanks.
Stovinator

Post by Stovinator »

Hi Sergio,

If you are purchasing one of the original screens or a parts Juno-G that you will take the screen off, then it's as simple as taking the screen out and putting a new one in (from what I gather on forums and Youtube videos). But, the new screens are sourced out from a new supplier in China (I believe) and with them the new software update that, as I'm told, won't be released publicly.

I'm going to pick up my Juno-G on Monday (in a couple days), and I'll see if I can find out more information for you. Otherwise, you should contact Roland's office in Argentina. Then you will get the replacement screen for free (which is approx. $150 CAD); labour is charged though.

I'm also replacing a volume pot, which is costing $4 lol.
K
Stovinator

Post by Stovinator »

Hey guys,

Just got my juno g back. The new screens look exactly the same,... But working. All I had to pay was for the labour.

Good luck
K
stden1cm

Post by stden1cm »

Any direction on how to set this up with Roland? Thanks!
Stovinator

Post by Stovinator »

Hey, just call up Roland's parts/repairs office in your country. Tell them about the replacement screens and go from there.
stden1cm

Post by stden1cm »

Easy enough, thank you.
huggles

Post by huggles »

I am in South Africa, and have just confirmed with the official Roland guys in Capetown that they can assist me with the new fix, i.e. the screen + software update.

Its not for free, it's going to cost around $120 for the screen. I don't know what to expect for the labour cost.

The Roland guys tell me that because we are not in the USA or Japan, that Roland will not contribute to the cost of the repair, as some people in this thread have suggested they will. In the end the "Free" repair is region specific.
PresetPusher

Post by PresetPusher »

Got me one of these today. Really hope Roland has got it's act together so this new type of display doesn't brak down as well. The service technician asured me it wouldn't break. But what does he know? ;)

I acctually bought the Juno G just last week. Got it for practically free beacuase of the broken screen. So I'm very pleased :)
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

I think it would be great to see a photo of what's different on the inside of the Juno-G with regards to the new LCD connection. I'm curious if the white ribbon cable has been replaced or if the small middle PCB board was entirely removed. Also, whether a ribbon cable is glued to the LCD screen or not. I expected the newer LCD to look the same, but it's on the inside where all the problems were. That's the real meat of the story.
deodato2

Post by deodato2 »

Yes, I'm sooooo glad the new LCD replacements are here!! Mine's in the shop now getting replaced, after having been replaced once before in 2010. Not sure if someone already posted this, but in case anyone's not aware, Roland will replace it free of charge to the owner, as long as they're the original owner of the unit and can prove it with a receipt, etc. Otherwise, the cost will be $100 for the screen itself, plus whatever costs it'll be for actually installing/replacing it at your local Roland service center, music shop, wherever. If you have any questions, call Roland at 323-890-3740 x.7005 and talk to Tina, Dana or John; all three have been VERY helpful to me in this frustrating situation over the past several months, particularly Dana whom I've talked to more than the other two. I'm sooooo glad Roland finally was able to resolve this (fingers crossed, lol), as I would've basically been left with a problematic and near useless keyboard otherwise. Sure, you can access the patches via USB with a laptop at gigs, but that's a lot more hassle and offers no guarantees for being able to do so because of the screen randomly acting up. I've been a Roland user for 20+ years and almost switched to a competitor because of this problem. So glad they finally got it resolved. Keep spreading the word!!!!
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

This is great to hear and if I'd only held out, i'd still own my Juno-G all this time. But I got scared about the screen dying and sold quick. I bought the Juno-Gi and loved the bright screen on it. But I sold for another keyboard and now am back to owning a Juno-Di... I'm happy to hear that they have continued to work on a solution for all of you G owners though! Go Roland! Makes me happy to be back in the clan!
silverleo

Post by silverleo »

Hi all.

This seems to be really a good news.
My lcd screen, after months of troubles, has finally passed away! Unfortunately here in Italy I can't find any replacement part.
Italian Roland service (based in Milan) does not provide any information and I'd love to know where to find a new lcd unit + software update.
I've no problem in replacing the screen by myself: I'm really experienced in servicing these kind of devices.

Any hint? Someone to contact at Roland?

Thank you all, and long life to our Juno's :-) :-)