How to have more than 256 card patches

Forum for JUNO-G
Skijumptoes

How to have more than 256 card patches

Post by Skijumptoes »

Hi peeps,

Just took advantage of sinevibes great offer and got myself 300 patches, as I was loaded up on the user bank already, I searched the forum looking for help on how, if possible to put more on the card. (300 is over the 256 card limit).

Seen lots of ppl asking for advice but no answers, so in a bid to help out I achieved it by doing the following:

I had my current card patches stored in Roland/snd folder (junog.svd).

I simply copied that to a new folder called 'personal' then created folders for my 2 new patch libraries (called "tweakbook" and "planetx") into each of those I copied the fans.svd files and renamed them "junog.svd" so I ended up with my card looking like this:

Card:roland/snd/junog.svd (patch in use)
Card:roland/snd/personal/junog.svd (my own patches)
Card:roland/snd/planetx/junog.svd (planetx library)
Card:roland/snd/tweakbook/junog.svd (tweakbook library)

Now all I have to do to access them is:
[menu]
[file utility]
press button 3 for card view
Then navigate to the folder with the sounds I want (roland/snd/)
Go into the library I want (planetx for example)
Highlight junig.svd and Press button 7 (copy) (this is the copy from location)
Then go into Card:roland/snd/ and press EXEC option (this is the to location)
Once you power off and on (or pop memory card in and out) the new patches appear.

This means you could have literally thousands on one card, you can move them into the user section if you want to mix and match from different collections.

Just remember that if you want to save any changes to copy the Card:roland/snd/junog.svd file into it's suitable folder.
dennis elbow

Re: How to have more than 256 card patches

Post by dennis elbow »

has anyone had any luck doing this,i have tried this and you cannot copy the new folder in the juno g,you can only copy the new svd file but then it is called junog so all it does is paste over
the existing junog svd file?any more help would be much welcomed.
cheers in advance.
Stovinator

Post by Stovinator »

This would be amazing if it worked. Haven't tried. When I can, I will attempt and let you know.
Kyle
Stovinator

Post by Stovinator »

Found the right cables and had to give it a try. It works. A little bit annoying, but it's handy in the studio. For live this isn't feasible (you have to turn the board on and off), but you can always have a bank of the patches you need for live purposes.

If you need help figuring it it out, pm me. But, the instructions above are pretty straight forward and they are correct.
Kyle
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

Stovinator wrote:Found the right cables and had to give it a try. It works. A little bit annoying, but it's handy in the studio. For live this isn't feasible (you have to turn the board on and off), but you can always have a bank of the patches you need for live purposes.

If you need help figuring it it out, pm me. But, the instructions above are pretty straight forward and they are correct.
Kyle

thank you for your reply kyle,glad to know that it does work not that im saying the op is telling porkies i was just after a second opinion.if you say it works i shall crack on and try again,but unless im missing something in the process it isn't working for me at the moment.i can get the juno g to see the new patches on the card not a problem, and when i copy the new svd file it saves fine but only into the destination snd files folder which contains an juno g svd file already so, it just over writes the original juno g svd file.
i have managed to get the juno g to see one new patch at a time when i turn the juno g of and on again.
is that what it suppossed to do,i mean is that what the op is saying.or should i be able to use all the new patches from the card,or just the one i copy into the user area.i may be trying to do something unachievable here by a misunderstanding on my part.i thought a little to much into this one lol.
cheers
paul.
Stovinator

Post by Stovinator »

Hey,

You have it exactly. You have to copy one the .svd files from its folder and move it to the main folder; the turn the board on and off.

I wish we could figure out a way to have multiple card banks, that would be extremely handy. I'm going to do some searching around to see if that is possible.

Do you think we could trick the juno-g in any way to allow multiple card banks? like having multiple versions of the root folder with different .svd files? I might give it a try when I'm at the board again. Only having 256 patches in the card memory is quite lame. And i'm only using 9mb of a 1gb compact flash card. lol
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

Stovinator wrote:Hey,

You have it exactly. You have to copy one the .svd files from its folder and move it to the main folder; the turn the board on and off.

I wish we could figure out a way to have multiple card banks, that would be extremely handy. I'm going to do some searching around to see if that is possible.

Do you think we could trick the juno-g in any way to allow multiple card banks? like having multiple versions of the root folder with different .svd files? I might give it a try when I'm at the board again. Only having 256 patches in the card memory is quite lame. And i'm only using 9mb of a 1gb compact flash card. lol

hi there kyle,thanks for your reply,good to know i was doing it right,yes i shall also have a go at copying the whole roland folders multiple times then add each new patch folder into each snd folder but delete the original svd file juno only but leave one roland folder in tact,see how that goes,i have a feeling there is a way.maybe copy the whole roland folder again then load up a new patch then save(write) them one at a time onto the cf card.it is a lot of messing about but i did do this in patch mode and it took up 256 spaces on the cf card,which is the limit,so maybe you can see where im going with my thinking.
all the best and i shall report back if i have any success.
cheers kyle.
paul.
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

nothing so far has worked,i think that may be down to the fact that the juno g only shows one card entry
on board,unless roland release an update to allow for more card entry's or the number of patches per category then i can't see how it would be possible.
i have a 16 gig card and you thought your 1 gig was laughable.
t'was worth a try.
hey roland help us out were stranded here.
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

you do not have to turn off and on. just remove card out and in a turn dial wheel. you can also change user patch banks this way. see my earlier post.
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

i still have not managed to do this.pulling my hair out.

two questions,are you using the library software on your p.c to do this,and all my patches like xv collection sine vibes etc are not svd files they are jgl so im confused how you say you renamed the fans svd files to junog.svd.
thank you in advance.

paul.
marczellm

Post by marczellm »

dennis elbow wrote:two questions,are you using the library software on your p.c to do this,and all my patches like xv collection sine vibes etc are not svd files they are jgl so im confused how you say you renamed the fans svd files to junog.svd.
The way I understand it is the following. I may be mistaken.

The junog.svd file stores the whole state of the instrument or card. So if you load a set of sounds to the JUNO and then make a copy of the svd file to some folder, you can later use that file as the card state by copying it to the appropriate folder as in the OP.

Fill your JUNO with the librarian software, then switch to USB Storage mode, make a copy of the SVD file, switch to USB Card storage, and copy the SVD to the card.