Sonar X1

Forums for Windows PC computers
misuspita

Sonar X1

Post by misuspita »

Has anyone tried it? I've been thinking of switching my current DAW of choice (ACID 7) and the new X1 seems a good enough improvement for me to make the switch. In 400Euros you have a fully contained soft studio. Complete with Dimension Pro, Mastering Effects, Channel Strip Effects, TruePianos Amber, Session Drummer 3, Guitar Rig 4 LE. Sounds like good deal to me. There also is the "studio" version which is just 180euro but no instruments.

But.

How's the usability of the Sonar? Never been a fan of it before, a friend had it at his studio (don't know what version) and I did not liked the way you had to "overclick" to achieve the same things I did with the ACID with far less trouble.

I was cought by the shiny presentation on the website and wanted to find more from the users of sonar here and there.

Any input welcomed

Edit: Here-s the link tot the product page.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/X1-Producer/Defa...
Mystic38

Re: Sonar X1

Post by Mystic38 »

I have sonar 8.5.3 PE and i would thoroughly endorse buying the full version.. dimension pro, z3ta and the other instruments and effects add up to more than the cost of the package.. i am happy with it..

now sonar is very comprehensive and historically had idiosyncracies regarding different views having differing toolbar/edit layout schemes and mechanisms.. it appears that x1 has done a major cleanup in this area.. (so much so that diehards on older revisions dont like the changes..lol)
i am thinking of upgrading to x1 mostly for the cleaned up interface..
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hi guys!

As a former user ofSonar 8.5 PE and a Cakewalk user since '97, I would highly recommend the X1 PE! I must admit that it had some stability issues and quite a number of annoying bugs when it was first released, but with the introduction of the X1b updates, all of my concerns were dealt with.

The 'new' interface in Sonar is a vast improvement in my view! As Mystic implied earlier, there is far less redundency in menu views, there-by simplifying ease of use. I personally find the software to run much faster, with much lower latency settings when running audio and soft-synths. The selection of audio efffects and included soft-synths is also greatly appreciated.

Again, highly recommended!
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

damn you... i think you just cost me $100!!
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

:-)
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Just to follow up..
After buying a new pc solely for studio use and coupling it with the NI Komplete Audio 6 interface I Upgraded to x1 about four weeks ago and have just finished up my first project.. The new user interface makes a massive difference in usability and PKG was absolutely right in recommending it!
misuspita

Post by misuspita »

Folow up here also :)

I've chose Presonus Studio One over a year ago. I think it' the perfect DAW at the moment, and considering the close integration with Melodyne, it' incredible usefull... The pitch and tempo algorithms are years ahead of Acid, and There are a few tricks that eased my life on the recording front...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

misuspita wrote:Folow up here also :)

I've chose Presonus Studio One over a year ago. I think it' the perfect DAW at the moment, and considering the close integration with Melodyne, it' incredible usefull... The pitch and tempo algorithms are years ahead of Acid, and There are a few tricks that eased my life on the recording front...
+1

Coming from Sonar 8.5, X1, Garageband, Logic Express, Acid pro and more lately Reaper, Studio One 2 is actually my DAW of choice, which is the most intuitive and easier to use of them all. Being dual platform also helps on migrating all the work I've done on the other DAWs seamless and easily