Forum for Roland FA-06/08
flowerkings

Mellotron Sounds

Post by flowerkings »

Are their any Mellotron sounds in the FA
bennyseven

Re: Mellotron Sounds

Post by bennyseven »

There is one Mellotron related factory sound I found (Tape Strings).
With AXIAL EXP-02 there are some sounds, like Flute, Choir and Ens.Strings).
analogaddict

Post by analogaddict »

There are a few but they are rather crappy. :)
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

The Mellotron sounds in SRX 07 / EXP 02 (strings, flute...) are really sampled from a Mellotron IMO, much better than the usual "pseudo" Mellotron sounds which are just edited in a Mellotron-similar way, and thus probably much better than the FA factory Mellotron sounds.
progferbrains

Post by progferbrains »

Hi Flowerkings

The "Tape Strings" and other things are just normal strings patches with treble rolled off and maybe some bit smashing... but they don't work as Trons properly. Sorry but there's no tron on the FA of any instrument set. I did build a sample set for the FA but can't be bothered with the hassle and I'm still sending out to an external instrument for my trons of which I use a lot. If your user name is an indication of your music style, then I know that "Tape Strings" patch will not do!!! Sorry!

Andy Tangent
LesliesTube

Post by LesliesTube »

Sorry for awakaning a nearly one year old thread. I must point out that after fiddling with a FA-06+EXP-02 in a local store, I found out THERE ARE genuine Tron string samples.
Sadly, the ones who programmed the patches in the SRX-era were not good as the ones who sampled and mapped the waveforms.
You need to begin from scratch, from an empy tone and find the EX02 waveforms 274-276.
274 is your good ole dry mono strings, and if you want the sound to be "larger" a la King Crimson, add 275 & 276 in the way you like.
Hope it helped.
P.S. You can program some really nice Hammond sounds from scratch too. The waveforms can be really useful, and they simply fell into misprogrammed patches, like the Tron sounds.
Foia

Post by Foia »

LesliesTube wrote:You need to begin from scratch, from an empy tone and find the EX02 waveforms 274-276.
274 is your good ole dry mono strings, and if you want the sound to be "larger" a la King Crimson, add 275 & 276 in the way you like.
Thanks for the hint: very useful!
As I am quite new to sound editing, could someone please suggest some basic settings to make those sounds less "dry"? I had in mind the famous "3 Violins" sound used by Genesis in many of their records.
alargroove

Post by alargroove »

specialplant wrote:The Mellotron sounds in SRX 07 / EXP 02 (strings, flute...) are really sampled from a Mellotron IMO, much better than the usual "pseudo" Mellotron sounds which are just edited in a Mellotron-similar way, and thus probably much better than the FA factory Mellotron sounds.
Thanks for the heads up on these. The strings and the flute are pretty close.
Tiguspca

Post by Tiguspca »

I know I'm replying to an old post but for a new user of an FA08 I'm very happy to have found this post. I just worked on a string mellotron patch. Still needs some fine tuning but its pretty close to what I want for a Genesis cover.
I really like this support group I hope to contribute when I get the opportunity.

Cheers, gp
Dnomaid

Post by Dnomaid »

There are some Tron wavs on EX-02 (as mentioned above) that make a good starting point. Careful EQing, etc. will get you closer. You can try a little FXM, (in the Wavs tab) and try running two of the wavs thru Structure 3 or 4 with maybe +6 to the booster. Experiment. Takes a while to get that subtle lo-fi spooky grunge character dialed in just right, but it'll get you a lot closer than any of the stock presets. (They sound pretty dull.) You can also make two patches and run one of them thru an amp sim with the MFX to add a bit of dirt and then mix the two patches together. that can help a lot as well once you find the right amp/cab/drive and EQ settings. Lots of different ways to approach it. The VP-330 Choir patch is also a good one to tweak and stack with a Tron Choir. Takes time, but there's a lot of tools under the hood to make any of the stock patches a lot better....not just the Tron patches - all of them.
Tiguspca

Post by Tiguspca »

Agreed. Thanks for the tips.
Gp