Juno Stage Piano Sound

Forum for JUNO STAGE
joelfan

Juno Stage Piano Sound

Post by joelfan »

I'm so happy with Juno Stage. It has all the numbers we deserve. Great sounds, great keyboard playability, easy-to-use interface, outstanding live control.

The only thing that leaves me with strange taste in my mouth... is the piano sound! The piano sound is typical Roland pre-Natural. Well, not bad, but not really professional enough. It is typical Roland in the sense that it is with a strong attack part, than it vanishes quite soon and then it stays at low volume. Ahhh. What a pity Roland.

Please don't answer me that SRX cards are there, because none of them is really recent, and we do not have decent piano sound that could quite compare with supernatural ones.

Is it a lost battle? No.

If you agree, can we post our custom Piano timbres? Would you please share among us our experiences on Piano sounds? If you have decent Piano patches, please post them.
joelfan

Re: Juno Stage Piano Sound

Post by joelfan »

Ok.
Let me break the ice.

Find attached the first experiment.
It is derived from "Studio Grand" patch.
I added some "body" with a ePiano in tone 2.

Please attach yours.
Attachments
StudioJoelPiano.zip
(10.78 KiB) Downloaded 521 times
joelfan

Post by joelfan »

Another patch.
This is a Piano patch containing some "fullness" - there is a Wurly wave together with Piano waves.
Futhermore, I tried to get the longer sustain I'm looking for.

Enjoy.
Attachments
JoelStudio.zip
(10.17 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
joelfan

Post by joelfan »

It's a strange thread.

It seems like I'm talking to myself.
No post, no comment, no feedback.

And 170 views, only viewing and downloading my patches?
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Hey Joelfan, I have read this thread, but have not downloaded the patches yet. When I get the change to hook up my Juno Stage to my PC, I will give them a try! Promise! ;-) Keep up the good work.
joelfan

Post by joelfan »

Thank you Martijn.
cecchino

Post by cecchino »

Hi, joelfan, I downloaded your patch, but will not be able to test (and comment) it yet. I just got the JS and I only have a few days to set it up for a couple of gigs I have this weekend, but I will be glad to try your patch next week. Thank you for sharing!
C.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Hey Joel,
I just bought another stage and the PO had some amazing pianos (acoustic and elec) on it. I'd be happy to share with you!
cecchino

Post by cecchino »

flyingace wrote:Hey Joel,
I just bought another stage and the PO had some amazing pianos (acoustic and elec) on it. I'd be happy to share with you!
I think (according to what he wrote on an italian forum) that Joelfan has sold his Stage... but I still have mine ;)
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Cecchino, I have sat and compared the POs piano sounds with my JP80. VERY CLOSE! The JP80 is a little more expressionate and I'm pretty sure there are loops on the Stage and not on the JP80 SN piano. They sound so very close through my Yamaha HS-5s.

I'll save them out into an MID file for you later today and post here.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Here are the ones that the PO programmed. Use as you will. I thought the pianos sounded great with his tweaks, definitely cuts through the mix. Not sure what songs he has referenced here in the titles.
Attachments
JSPianos_flyingace.jel.zip
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
cecchino

Post by cecchino »

Thanks for sharing!
There is something I do not understand, btw...
I opened your file with the JS librarian, and found twelve performances and no patch.
I tried uploading the performances in some empty locations of my JS but they seem to refer to the user patches already present, and do not sound as expected... any suggestion?
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

So sorry, I've never done that before and didn't know how best to save those out. Any idea how it's done?
cecchino

Post by cecchino »

Don't worry, there is no problem and I appreciate so much your kindness in sharing your patches...
Let me say there is no "best" way to save programs, it depends on what you are dealing with.
If you only need to save a SINGLE patch (as in the case of Joelfan) you may select the patch on the JS, open the JS editor, verify the editor has read data from the JS (if not, push the "READ" button, never push the "WRITE" one ;) ) and then you may save a file or export SMF file (patch only) under the File menu. If you want to save just a couple of patches you may repeat the procedure.
If you have a performance you may do about the same, selecting the perf at first step, and then export SMF (performance + patch + rythm set) at last.
Or, when the number of things to save grows, you may use the librarian, like you did, but you should also save the patch user area in the file (at least those patches involved in the performances you want to save).
Thanks a lot!
C.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

thanks for that Cecchino! I'll dig into the editor and librarian a little further. Would be nice if Roland would have thought that through and made it easier to save a performance with all it's parts into one file. :( This is probably, as much as I love keyboards and playing them, why I continue to be primarily a guitarist. Especially acoustic guitar, my taylor is from 2007 and 20 years from now it will sound as good or better without any software issues or complications! :) ha ha