FA Editor

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
BigBANGtheory

Re: FA Editor

Post by BigBANGtheory »

so something like this panel style/theme based around the layout of the Jupiter 80

work in progress design...
(now removed as is obsolete)
Fleer

Post by Fleer »

Oh yeah :)
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

looks like a very good approach to an one-screen editor.
Who was the guy with 'knobman skills', are knobs with data box inside feasible ?
BigBANGtheory

Post by BigBANGtheory »

following the Jupiter80 layout further yields:
Willem H

Post by Willem H »

Wow ,

this can cause a big bang , at least that's my (his) theory .

keep up the good work .
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Hello,
today I started with the layout from BigBANGtheory. sysex is partially working.
But I have explored some dynamic elements,when looking on the SNS menues on the FA screen.
I.e., when selecting SP-SAW in the OSC menu, there appears a SS-Detune Item. When I select PCM the second item changes over to WAVE NUMBER.
So, it is not possible -from a logically point of view- to fully program the proposed BigBANGtheory panel. We have to think about a solution. Maybe CTRLR can help with dynamically changing items. I am still learning about that tool.
Work in progress...

At the moment, I will not work on the graphic and images. It is all CTRLR build in knobs and sliders. Would be great if someone could check how to get the FA-like knobs.

Cheers,
BennySeven

File removed, because obsolete.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Please find attached the panel (as screenshot) wich comes as close as possible to the BBT mockup.
Next step to work is to read the values and show them in the editor and multi-partial editing (maybe tabs or switching the panel items).

Next entry follows the panel file for download.
Have fun,
BennySeven
Attachments
FA editor V2
FA editor V2
V2.jpg (48.06 KiB) Viewed 3052 times
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

the panel file version 2

EDIT: please note that I have some errors observed, but will be fixed in the next days.

1) If it is not the complete panel visible, go to edit mode (Ctrl + E) and click on the black "background image" in the lower left edge, so that it stays in the back, behind all other components.

2) some component values are not showed as expected. These are behaviors, that I have to support with formulas (like PAN, which has a value interval from 54 to 74, but value must show up with -100 to +100). But they are working fine via midi together with FA. Some easy formula i.e. is the unisono size.

General CTRLR features: double click on slider or knob to set standard value. Click into the value data field to enter digits via computer keyboard.
Attachments
FA-06_1_0_Test1_2015-02-08_22-41.rar
CTRLR panel file FA-Editor version2
(48.17 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
kmtaylor

Post by kmtaylor »

If people are interested, it's quite easy to port the sysex editor that I did for the Juno-Gi over to the FA series.

It's a menu based interface, so not as fancy as the GUIs that you've been playing with, but it might be useful for managing the SysEx messages anyway, as actual SysEx handling has been put into a library.

Here's a screenshot of the menu interface. There are also other tools such as a simple SysEx reader, that will monitor the SysEx data coming from your FA and print meaningful interpretations of what is being sent.

All messages are parsed from Roland's "Midi Implementation" pdf.
Attachments
fa_sysex.png
fa_sysex.png (90.25 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Hello world,

would be great to get any Feedback reg. the "SN Synth one pager" FA Editor. Should we go further on or focus on other things that are subject to FA editing.
Cheers, BennySeven
Español

Post by Español »

kmtaylor wrote:If people are interested, it's quite easy to port the sysex editor that I did for the Juno-Gi over to the FA series.
Thanks for your great contribution and your help.
We hope that among all the contributions that users are doing here in this forum, can get a great editor for FA; as Roland has NOT deigned to produce an editors for FA and other products, such as Juno Gi.
I have the FA and a Juno Gi (and others ...).
Greetings.
Fleer

Post by Fleer »

bennyseven wrote:Hello world,

would be great to get any Feedback reg. the "SN Synth one pager" FA Editor. Should we go further on or focus on other things that are subject to FA editing.
Cheers, BennySeven
Anything that allows us to edit the FA and looks like your screenshot above would be very welcome indeed!
BigBANGtheory

Post by BigBANGtheory »

I think that is looking really good Benny, well done. I can see your point though about how wave selection can alter the need for different controls. Probably the best thing to do is if we take a look at the Jupiter-80 editor on say YouTube, see how it behaves and then think how we might present it ourselves.

Wave selection itself looks like it is done using a button to skip through the options, actually quite similar to the FA Global Settings / Sound Modify controls on the physical keyboard. So we could try that or keep the knob (which is how the option is presented in the FA Tone Edit screen).

The other popular option I think will be controlling the effects, but lets try to get the Tone edits working first imho. We can always update the knobs, buttons and sliders with a more FA look & feel later.
cello

Post by cello »

If you need screenshots of the JP-80 editor I can provide them for you - just let me know which ones you want.
BigBANGtheory

Post by BigBANGtheory »

cello wrote:If you need screenshots of the JP-80 editor I can provide them for you - just let me know which ones you want.
How does the JP-80 editor behave when you select different waves for the partial? For example Super Saw De-tune is only relevant to a Super Saw wave... Also does the JP-80 editor handle effects?