Integra 8 coming soon?

Forum for Integra 7
Monkey Man

Re: Integra 8 coming soon?

Post by Monkey Man »

Happy wrote:Retail store said they bought the last batch I7's recently and no more will be supplied from Roland.
If they've been selling well, why would Roland stop makin' 'em?

Unless... there's a new model on its way!
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

That's why I asked my dealer to ask the Roland sales agent...
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Yeah, I get you. Well done and thank you specialplant.

I can only hope that the sales agents around the world generally either:

1) Aren't in the know when it comes to R&D.
2) Haven't been informed as it could see potential buyers holding off for a new one when they could've bought the current model.

Let's face it, the task of the sales agents is to facilitate sales, not promises of the future by potential buyers.

Hey, I'm just trying to find a silver lining here; I'm seriously Jonesin' for an update...
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

I agree that the Roland sales agents are probably not well informed about what is going on deep in the R&D departments, especially Roland Germany is usually never informed about internal activities in the headquarters in Japan. So there might be something in the pipeline in the second half of 2015.
But if stocks had run out of Integras-7 NOW due to a new model being introduced in short term, the sales agents would most probably know about it (and tell the dealer or otherwise get on the dealer's bad side...).
Happy

Post by Happy »

Looking at the history of modules....

1986-1992 LA / PCM - D/U Series, MT32
1993-2000 SR - JD/JV - JV Series
2000-2008 SRX - XV series & Fantom XR (1)
2008-2016 ARX / Supernatural - Integra 7 (1)

it should justify that after 2 times a period of 8 years with each period one module representing the key based equivalents, something new should be coming. The I7 is everything of the now and the past. But since it was said that the I7 takes from physical modelling (V-Piano). sampling (R700NX) and behavior modeling. what is the big next? Something with just 32 parts, 256 voices poloyphony, V-Drums, ADAT out, 16 channel audio over USB 3.0 / Thunderbolt, An android editor, Analog synthesis, TR alike ACB, a vocoder and able to load all SN/SRX modules in memory at the same time is not evolution. Perhaps in the next years we will just see more recycling of I7's technology in other gear , or ... something really new must appear....

Bottom line, the I7 has just joined my family of gear. :-) as it sums nicely up a lot of tech since the aquisition of my aging D10.
sarkywalrus

Post by sarkywalrus »

I've only just bought the I7. Really hope it doesn't become the old model too soon.

In saying that, it doesn't matter.... there's no way I could justify buying the most up to date equivilant
Mike Vee

Post by Mike Vee »

There will not be a successor for the Integra for at least the next five years if ever. Period.
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Sounds as if you know something, Mike. Do share.

Me? I know nothing, but I'll continue to wait and hope...
lol

Post by lol »

That is simple maths, look at the bottom of this page, despite the increase in sales with the market opening to current Supernatural technology derived products (from flagship models to entry levels), Roland is still loosing big money. There are more chances Roland actually ceases making musical instruments, than there are Roland is curently developping a new set of sounds and technology for immediate release. At the moment they are just and only focused on trying to save their entire buisness, a couple of years ago they simply cut the european branch responsible for the development, relocating to China, in 2014 the historical owner decided to opt out and sold his shares to the management (read this article), which is in the middle of redefining a new development strategy. The models shown since the Integra-7 are just the tail of the previous comet, they just have nothing else to show right now, and we'd be lucky already if Roland musical instruments still existed in 5 years from now, so you'd better stop whinning and imploring, it just won't happen, end of the story.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

lol wrote: There are more chances Roland actually ceases making musical instruments, than there are Roland is curently developping a new set of sounds and technology for immediate release.
That is pretty pesimistic but Roland has developed new technology and made changes to their synthesis along with their restructuring period. Look at the AIRA line with ACB technology and the the new JD line with Roland releasing synths with analog again.

Is there really a need to release an integra follow up? I think not.

I am glad to see Roland doing the new crossover idea. Hopefully more hybrid synths will come along.

Dave Smith seems to be doing well and now Sequential is back (Thanks Yamaha!).

Perhaps Roland is taking notice. At one time, in the not so far away past, Roland refused to touch analog but now it is on the table. Thankfully the new JD synths are not just mere analog monosynths like the miniBrute, BassStation II, MS-20 mini, Mopho, little Phatty, and all the others I am missing but something different and they seem more versatile.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

lol wrote:That is simple maths, look at the bottom of this page, despite the increase in sales with the market opening to current Supernatural technology derived products (from flagship models to entry levels), Roland is still loosing big money. There are more chances Roland actually ceases making musical instruments, than there are Roland is curently developping a new set of sounds and technology for immediate release. At the moment they are just and only focused on trying to save their entire buisness, a couple of years ago they simply cut the european branch responsible for the development, relocating to China, in 2014 the historical owner decided to opt out and sold his shares to the management
Of course Roland is not yet out of its crisis, but the first link you point at shows that, at least, there was a profit in the business year ending March 2014 again after a loss the year before. BTW, the European branch was dissolved just a year ago. IMO, the 2014 management buyout you are referring to is more a positive than a negative thing, it was designed to enable the management to act more independently and not be controlled by the short-term profit interests of shareholders any more.
If you look at the number of customer reviews for the FA-06 at thomann.de, Roland is having very good success selling the FA; there are 19 (positive) reviews already, more than the MoXF6 and as many as the Korg Krome 61 although these have been in the market longer than the FA. The Integra also shows quite good sales if you project the number of reviews at Thomann. Just the BK-9 is a total zero in sales.
So I wouldn't be that pessimistic, I hope the management buyout really is an opportunity to get back on track for Roland.
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

lol wrote:... they just have nothing else to show right now, and we'd be lucky already if Roland musical instruments still existed in 5 years from now, so you'd better stop whinning and imploring, it just won't happen, end of the story.
Wow.

If there's a follow-up release, I'll "replay" this quote to you, brother.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Monkey Man wrote:
lol wrote:... they just have nothing else to show right now, and we'd be lucky already if Roland musical instruments still existed in 5 years from now, so you'd better stop whinning and imploring, it just won't happen, end of the story.
Wow.

If there's a follow-up release, I'll "replay" this quote to you, brother.

So the question is... who is doing the JD-Xi and JD-XA and other Roland stuff??? ;-)

Maybe they are just a mirage in this virtual World... lol
lol

Post by lol »

JD-Xi and JD-XA... still old technology in cheap boxes, sorry, either you're too young to know, or too naive, it's really been a poor's man winter NAMM 2015 for Roland, and the next events this year will only see more sound canvas and such Supernatural Redux models, nothing new there neither.

The fact is, if you set Aira vintage mock-ups apart, the last time Roland/Boss really showed something new, was 2010-2012 with gears such as the V-Drum TD-30, Jupiter 80, Integra-7. Since then, only redux models from these, lesser TD-series, Jupiter 50, FA series. Even the RD-800 was a slight upgrade from RD-700 series, and "upgrade" only if you think reduced industrial costs and cheap plastic design (compared to the RD-700.)

They're telling you, the market to conquer is now China, only place in the world with a strong middle class growth. Redux models, entry level gears, affordable goods, that's what they'll be designing for now.

But dream on, dream on...

Besides, I should add, if they really did have a strong R&D dept at the moment, shouldn't they be able to offer fixes and long overdue updates to their current product lines, for issues and missing options/functions people keep complaining about? Someone was asking about the possibility to edit the cc numbers on the Integra-7, that kind of fixes, do we see them coming? No we don't, and the reason to that is very crude : the development teams are gone with the wind, Roland is like an empty shell right now, plenty of old merchandise to sell, hardly enough spirit remaining to play the mere illusion of business as usual...
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Again... wow.

More "repayable-down-the-track" statements that could make you look like an ass (as in "donkey), lol. It can't be all that bad, bro', surely?

You keep talking about derivative, "redux" models, but in essence that's all we're hoping for with an INTEGRA-7 follow-up. I mean, and I'll try to include the most obvious possibilities here, the ability to load all sounds at once, more outputs / MIDI channels / polyphony, a bigger screen, updated (taken from other Roland gear) FX algorithms such as a Vocoder and better reverb, enhanced as well as "simplified" MIDI CC functionality and perhaps soft keys involve nothing new. Nothing at all. Little R&D required there. Heck, you even mentioned an update specifically, which 'though it mightn't have set the world ablaze, was an update nevertheless:
lol wrote:Even the RD-800 was a slight upgrade from RD-700 series...
lol wrote:Besides, I should add, if they really did have a strong R&D dept at the moment...
Irrelevant. It's obvious "strong" R&D isn't required for an update to this model. All I (and I assume others) are hoping for is more of the same, really. Just more crammed into the box.
lol wrote:They're telling you, the market to conquer is now China, only place in the world with a strong middle class growth. Redux models, entry level gears, affordable goods, that's what they'll be designing for now.
... and making a sweet killing from that market alone. Still you claim there'd be no capital for R&D? Ridiculous, and as stated, there's no (significant) R&D requirement for an INTEGRA update.
lol wrote:... shouldn't they be able to offer fixes and long overdue updates to their current product lines, for issues and missing options/functions people keep complaining about? Someone was asking about the possibility to edit the cc numbers on the Integra-7, that kind of fixes, do we see them coming? No we don't...
Well, if there's ever going to be a follow-up model, it's good business practice to withhold as much of that stuff as you can get away with; all the more reason to upgrade. They have been getting away with it of course; sales figures confirm this.
lol wrote:... and the reason to that is very crude : the development teams are gone with the wind, Roland is like an empty shell right now, plenty of old merchandise to sell, hardly enough spirit remaining to play the mere illusion of business as usual...
I suspect my explanation is closer to the truth. All those empty suits rocking up to work hard for Roland every day would be shocked to learn that they're merely creating an illusion for an empty shell.

Mate, your faith in Roland is underwhelming to say the least.
lol wrote:... either you're too young to know, or too naive...
Before you jump to conclusions as to our collective naivety and ages, best perhaps to think about what it is we're hoping for. We're not anticipating ground-breaking strides with a new INTEGRA. Dare I say it again, but simply more of the same. Expanded. More powerful, but still "merely" an INTEGRA. Oh, and whilst I can't speak for others, I'm certainly not too young, brother. I like to think that the many-lifetimes' worth of pain and suffering I've crammed into 50 years hasn't been for nicks... and it hasn't. I see no harm in continuing to hope for the best. Nobody's going to die if a new model doesn't come to fruition, but giving up hope only makes for a more desolate existence IMHO. I mean, if there's a possibility your favourite piece of gear will be improved, acknowledging this surely can't do any harm, right? Will you acknowledge that it's a possibility? It seems not.
lol wrote:But dream on, dream on...
Thank you for the encouragement, lol. I certainly will, and so too will some others.

I took the liberty of speaking on behalf of all those who'd like to see an updated model. I did my best to represent you folks; sorry if I've not done so accurately or fairly.