Juno Stage or Jupiter50

Forum for JUNO STAGE
oliv928

Juno Stage or Jupiter50

Post by oliv928 »

Hello all,
I actually own a XP30 which is not bad sounding , and a Fantom FA76 which is better sounding to my ear. I play in a pop orck band. I am expecting to buy a new stage synth. I like the FA76 but it is too heavy.
I really hesitate between Jupiter 50 and Juno Stage, in term of sounding first. They seem very similar, Jupiter is more recent and costs more, but does it really Worth ? With 2 good SRXs Inside ad more controllers, a second hand JS is even cheaper. It seems that EPs and Elec and B3 organs are better in JUPITER... ?
flyingace

Re: Juno Stage or Jupiter50

Post by flyingace »

I sold my Juno Stage after I bought my jupiter 50, it seemed like overkill to have 2 76 key keyboards and the jupiter 50 supernatural sounds blew me away... I then sold the Jupiter 50 to buy a Jupiter 80 due to neither having an editor or librarian (like the stage!) that I was used to using and the 80 has a bigger screen, easier editing, etc. Great sounds, built like a sherman tank!

BUT I missed many of the performance, on-the-fly features of the Stage and bought another one last year. My daughter (16) fell in love with it and traded me her Juno Di for the bigger Stage with semi weighted keys. She is really happy and is learning how to set up her own rhythm patterns for songs as well as setting up performances for songs that she enjoys playing. She loved the mic input on the Di and gets to continue using it on the Stage but she lost the ability to use the wireless adapter to record easily both keys and voice on the Roland Air Recorder iPhone app. :( If only they had upgraded the Stage with the wireless!!

I kept hoping that Roland would come out with the successor to the Stage this NAMM that had the supernatural sounds, wireless control, editable patterns and performance set up for the performing musical that wasn't wanting a workstation or a techno aira or even the jupiters that are focused on synth-y sounds and not a lot on the fly style playing. But no.

The Jupiters are incredible sounding, you won't go wrong with either. I like the built-in EPs better on the Stage. I tried the EXP12 EP card and didn't think it was any better than built-in really. roland seems to excel at Rhodes sounds but not Wurly so much. I'm still tweaking on the Stage, Di and JP80 to get them sounding right.

Thought about selling the Di to get the VR-09 but it seems like Roland made too many compromises on it and I just don't see it lasting in my rig.

So which should you buy? Both of course! :) They each satisfy an area for a performance artist. If you just want a board with great sounds for your home studio and recording, the JP50-80 won't let you down, the FA models have a lot of features but I'm not sold on them and I hate that shiny black plastic crap on the faces with almost impossible to see controls. I've also thought the RD-64 with an Integra 7 would be a great set up if I was studio only.

Hope some of this helps!
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I have a jupiter-50 but not a Juno Stage. The Juno Stage has a lot going for it. I think that with the ability to add expansion boards and the realtime controls the Juno Stage cannot be beat. Why on earth Roland did not add more controls to the new Jupiters is beyond me and I miss them. When I play live I like to tweak a few things on the fly besides the filter. I cannot really do this on the Jupiter because if I want to adjust the envelope or LFO I have to go menu diving, that stinks. The Jupiter-50 has a great sound. The Supernatural sound engine is really nice, having non looping samples, I could tell the difference in quality vs my Fantom. That being said the acoustic sounds Library on the Jupiter is a bit small. You will have more sounds and waveforms on the Juno Stage via expansion boards. Both units have 76 keys and they both feel great. If you like real time control and a more massive sound library go with the Juno Stage. If they were still sold I would pick one up. Sometimes Ebay is not a fun ordeal for buying gear.
oliv928

Post by oliv928 »

hello guys,
Thank You very very much for Your posts there. They are very usefull to me. They put light on some questions about the 2 machines. They are the best status i ever had about these synths

My decision is not yet taken, but I have better opinion.

This afternoon I will go to a shop where I can try both : Jupiter and clavia nord stage

Nord stage seems good too on these aspects : fully controlled by same buttons on the pannel, and user can store the modified sound (with these buttons) in the program. high quality sounds for EP, organs and acoustic piano. But, .. very expensive and, to my ears, sounds to much clean : I like more distorsion or saturation in EPs : this is my first impression but I will try by myself
So I will be able to compare JUPITER and CLAVIA on sounds

I like very much the concept of Juno stage
At the moment, I am not very seduced with its EP sounds, but I think they can be tweaked or better patch imported. The remaining question is : Do SRX12 or other EP, ORGAN really improve them in quality and choice quantity ? Same question with organs
Concerning type of sounds : I think Juno is more in my style : I play in pop rock band with E guitarists, bass and drUMMER; so I need basically : EPs, acoustic piano, organs, pads, strings, and some "main Stream" synths
I think JUPITER type is more on : very FAT lead multi layered sounds, with a great number on this type, but finally nothing more than Juno on classical sounds. Except for acoustic piano which I think is much better than the Juno, with supernatural feature which seems fantastic : I will try this this afternoon. The poor aspect of JUPITER is the lack of control knobs : Juno beats him on this aspect

But, for me, the remaining bad bad bad point I see on the JUNO is :
Control knob are only for live use, and the resulting sound can not be stored in the preset : THAT IS HORRIBLE FOR ME : exactly the same problem in the XP30 I own

Concerning sound quality, regarding synths generation :
I am not able to have an opinion, especially for Juno. In some review I can read that sound engine is comparable to the roland GW8, which is a very low value machine : first price for children I would say

Today I own : XP30 and fantom FA and I can say : fantom FA is better sounding than XP30. But I cant use FA anymore live or band session because it is too heavy
If JUNO stage sounds like FANTOM FA, or better, I would buy it right now, and try to find a solution on the problem of : knob controllers vs preset storing the result . If Juno sounds like XP30, it will be : not so bad but deceiving me a little, as regard synths generation comparison

Again, thank You so much,

I go to the shop and will give You feedback of JUPItER50 vs CLAVIA STAGE fight...
seeya
oliv928

Post by oliv928 »

THANK You all for Your precious advices
I will go for a Juno STAGE : I have found one second hand for 600euros and I think it is the best value stage synth. If I am not fully satisfied with presets, I will try to tweak them. If not anymore I will buy second hand SRX : probably EPs and organ, and then pad and strings which are my most used.
Impatient to have my new Keyboard
I really hope sounding will be better than older XP30 and Fantom FA : should be based on next generation.
I really hope the Keyboard itself will have good response Under my fingers : it should be because I like touch on XP30 and Fantom FA
GREAT PLAN....
cheers all
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

We love the Stage. My Daughter uses it primarily now. The sounds the previous owner did are wonderful, so I know that you can tweak to your heart's content and save some great "performances" for those sounds that include arps, tempo, rhythm preset, etc.

The keyboard is the same that's in the Jupiter 50 and Jupiter 80 (only minus the aftertouch) and it's a pleasure to play. I will keep my Jupiter 80 and just bought a Korg SV1 73 to use in the upstairs living room for parties. Perfect for that purpose but the Rolands are better keyboards all around. I think you will be very happy with your decision!
oliv928

Post by oliv928 »

Good plan !
The only lack I am afraid of is the Number of MFXs
1 only in Patch mode is few...
But I don't understand why we can have 3 in Perf mode...?
What is the interest of Patch mode then ?
We should put everything in Perf mode.
oliv928

Post by oliv928 »

Just received mine, for 600euros !
First impression : very good. Sounds seems punchy. Awawiting to check with the band
Minus : sounds not enough dynamic. I have fixed this for acoustic piano with -dB for low velocity sample and + dB for forte sample : then better
Plus ( and i did not expect that) : any modification of sound with the Sound Modify knobs is stored with the Patch : That is such an improvement compare with XP30 which does ont that, which is a shame from Roland !!
Minus : elec piano, not enough brilliant, lack of distorsion at highest velocity for rhodes and Wurly, but I will fix that : already done on my fav patch
Hammond organs : not very expressive for Hammond B3 I guess
I really Wonder if SRX07 OR SRX12 can improve elec pianos and organs
I think that sounds are better than on my Fantom FA and XP30; If I have time I will try to seriously compare them
Globaly, very happy, why spend 2500 euros for a Nord Stage ?
Thank You everybody for Your precious advice. Very very Happy ! ;-)
I think I will continue in a new specificaly JUNO Stage thread, and try to share patches with community
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Great to hear! Enjoy the stage, when my daughter is done with hers I'll have it back and not let it go again... that said, it's not the only keyboard I own or will own. I ended up buying another Korg SV1 73 for my electric piano needs. The Wurly and Rhoades on it are exemplary!
jalbert

Post by jalbert »

I consider the Rhodes EP sound and the intuitive user interface to be the strengths of the Juno Stage. Pure EP in the JS is the same as Pure EP on the SRX12 card, the flagship sound on the card. Between that and Tremolo EP, the JS met my needs for EPs. FM EP is also good. If you focus on picking one that sounds good and works well with a particular song instead of trying to match the exact sound on a classic recording (which may have been processed with all sorts of external effects you'll never replicate anyway) you'll likely find you can save your money and not need SRX cards.

The organ patches DBar01 thru DBar 20 provide adequate B3 sounds. Note that they aren't filtered by the Leslie effect by default so you'll want to turn that on and save and save as user patches. X Perc Organ is probably the best percussive B3 sound. And Rock Organ 2 quite useful as-is.

Make Favorites key mappings for the sounds you use and you customize your own stage keyboard having a small set of patches you use and pull up quickly during a performance.

Pianos are weak. Generally, pianos and woodwinds get a bit tinny in the upper registers due to limited quality D/A convertors. And output is a bit low to route directly to a PA amp expecting a +4dBu line level. You may want to use a small mixer to bring up the level or use a keyboard amp that will have higher sensitivity (reach full output with a signal not as hot).

Don't be discouraged that 95-97% of the JS patches are useless. The 3-5% that are useful make a usable, well rounded band keyboard. I used an Alesis Nano Piano with it for the piano and the Farfisa patch on a Yamaha TX81Z (get both for less than the cost of an SRX12) and had a satisfactory band keyboard, but ultimately sold the JS. I'd be more tempted to just add a Ferrofish B3 emulator to the NanoPiano and TX81Z and use a midi controller.