MV-8000 hard drive to solid state drive?

Forum for MV-8000/8800
Seccione

Re: MV-8000 hard drive to solid state drive?

Post by Seccione »

I installed KingSpec 64GB SSD drive.

Works without problems. Speed increase is notable, but it's still a bit slow (compared to a modern computer, that is)

http://www.amazon.com/KingSpec-2-5-inch ... B008RWKFYE
waxdat

Post by waxdat »

Damn I wish you would have recorded loading and saving a project before you switched drives and then used same files to load and save with the new drive. Can you give exact instructions so I don't screw this up. I'm going to give it a shot and record my results.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I wonder what drive would work directly with an MV-8000. The drive is larger than the 2.5 drives in the MV-8800.
waxdat

Post by waxdat »

I guess you could fasten it down with Velcro.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

waxdat wrote:I guess you could fasten it down with Velcro.
But are not the pins different too on hard drives of different sizes?
waxdat

Post by waxdat »

If so I believe there are adapter cables out there.
waxdat

Post by waxdat »

If so I believe there are adapter cables out there.
waxdat

Post by waxdat »

Or as per NNitred

"You can use a an IDE SSD like those from Kingspec orany early PATA models from Intel and they work fine. The main advantage is that the SSD doesn't bog down as it fills. OTOH the MV has a major bottle neck so you projects and sample won't load with any kind of blazing speed."
Seccione

Post by Seccione »

waxdat wrote:Can you give exact instructions so I don't screw this up. I'm going to give it a shot and record my results.
You mean instructions for swapping the drive?

It's dead easy, no tricks involved. Just open the machine and plug'n'play. :)
waxdat

Post by waxdat »

Seccione wrote:
waxdat wrote:Can you give exact instructions so I don't screw this up. I'm going to give it a shot and record my results.
You mean instructions for swapping the drive?

It's dead easy, no tricks involved. Just open the machine and plug'n'play. :)
Not the physical part. The file transfer part. Did you use a transfer gadget like in that video?
Seccione

Post by Seccione »

waxdat wrote:Not the physical part. The file transfer part. Did you use a transfer gadget like in that video?
Video? Gadged? Huh? :D

No I just copied stuff to PC trough USB. Slow as hell, but I had beer.
JUKE179r

Post by JUKE179r »

Just for you guys who need to know the MV harddrive and the connections (not real MV pictures but you get the idea):

MV-8000 has a 3.5" PATA/IDE 40 pin desktop harddrive:

MV-8800 has a 2.5" PATA/IDE 44 pin laptop harddrive:

To use a SATA harddrive (platter or SSD) in place of the stock MV PATA harddrives, the adapter you will need is:

For the MV8000 you need a PATA to SATA desktop adapter

For the MV8800 you need a PATA to SATA laptop adapter

*If you want to get either adapter, definitely get an adapter with a jumper connection to select Master for the internal MV harddrive.
ScottLoiselle

Post by ScottLoiselle »

waxdat wrote:Damn I wish you would have recorded loading and saving a project before you switched drives and then used same files to load and save with the new drive.
I'm with waxdat on this. A while ago (when SSDs were still really expensive), I swapped out the factory 4200RPM drive in my 8800 for a 7200RPM. When I did that exact same thing with a laptop a year earlier, it made a *big* difference in speed, so I was hoping that the MV would be a lot faster with the 7200 RPM. No such luck, it was only very slightly faster. I looked up the notes I made at the time comparing them (for each, the first time is the 4200RPM and the 2nd time is the 7200). Both the original and replacement drive were only about 5% full at the time of the tests.

Load a 39MB project: :46 - :43
Save a 39 MB project: :41 - :36
"Save As" the 39MB proj: 1:31 - 1:18

I also tested both smaller and much larger project sizes, and the time differences were right in line with the above.

I also tried exporting a 42MB sample as a WAV file, both drives took the exact same amount of time (1:14) so it's clearly gated by the processing time the MV needs to reformat the sample.

Now that SSDs are so cheap, yeah, it probably makes sense to put one in the MV but until I see some actual time measurements (comparing a HD to an SSD), I'm going to assume that any speed increase will be very slight.
Seccione

Post by Seccione »

SSD doesn't make much difference to 7200rpm drive. the PATA/IDE connector is the bottleneck here.

With SSD you get a silent drive without heat generation, and presumably no slowing down when the drive gets fragmented.

(My MV had a very fragmented drive, so after switching to SSD the difference was major!)
sedinuf

Post by sedinuf »

Wanted to know if anyone has had success installing a 128GB KingSpec SSD in their MV!? Looking to install 1 in my MV and VS-2400CD! Please let me know if this sounds like a good idea. Thanks.