Build of JDXi

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
richardbates1

Build of JDXi

Post by richardbates1 »

I have to say that the build of the JDXi is pretty bad....not sure how long it will hold up.
I have had my JDXi for only 3 weeks and handled it with kid gloves because it does not feel like it is built well.
I already have to order a new keyed because the top "E' key has broken off.
I opened up the synth to take a look at why the key has broken and if I could fix it myself and was amazed at the build quality of the way the keys are attached.......very thin plastic attachment, just curious on how many more keys will break off?

All in all the JDXi is a toy, a good sounding toy but has the build of a toy, I don't expect this synth to last very long?

I hope the JDXA will be made with more quality?
Synthtron

Re: Build of JDXi

Post by Synthtron »

Build quality is pretty bad? In comparison to what? I can assure you it will not fall apart with regular use. The JD-Xi has a build quality similar to the MicroKorg, MiniNova, Bass Station II, etc. I have been using a microKorg for many, many years now and it still holds up. If you drop the JD-Xi or any synth for that matter you could expect problems. I see no reason why the JD-Xi will not hold up unless it was abused.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synthtron wrote:Build quality is pretty bad? In comparison to what? I can assure you it will not fall apart with regular use. The JD-Xi has a build quality similar to the MicroKorg, MiniNova, Bass Station II, etc. I have been using a microKorg for many, many years now and it still holds up. If you drop the JD-Xi or any synth for that matter you could expect problems. I see no reason why the JD-Xi will not hold up unless it was abused.
Right now you can't convince me of that.
I have been really careful with this synth, it has only been in my studio, never dropped never taken out on location, ...........while playing (and I play more space music, Berlin School and ambient music) hardly music style that is tough on the hardware the top E key breaks off. Before that the E key started to feel different....less resistance when pressed.

I have ordered a new keybed , in the meant time I had to tape the key back on.
I am worried more keys will break off over time.
Out of fear I will play my JDXi with the JP80 over midi control using it's keys for playing.

When the new keybed arrives I will see how it holds up with the tyranny of soft gentle playing?
If the new keybed holds up and no keys fall off I will let people know whether it was just a fluke involving that original keybed and that it does not represent overall keybed quality.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

The high E key broke off? Also you ordered a new keybed? Did Roland take care of that under warranty? I am surprised it was not a key replacement or a section of keys, I have not taken mine apart to know how it is built.

For live performance I am integrating the JD-Xi along side my Jupiter-50 and Lucina AX-09. I am switching my heavier synths and going with light weight. My heavy synths will now be left in the studio.

I must say that I have been practicing our latest set with a new vocalist for the past month or so with the JD-Xi in my rig and I have not withheld any force from playing 3 fingered chrords, leads, and bass lines.

About synth builds, I had a miniBrute that I barely touched and it had one key that developed a problem. I noticed one day that one of the the keys was higher than the others. I opened up the unit and a plastic piece that fit in the bushing had broken. I foind out through the net some of the miniBrutes had this issue of brittle plastic parts in the keybed. I got rid of the miniBrute and have not gotten another one nor plan to.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synthtron wrote:The high E key broke off? Also you ordered a new keybed? Did Roland take care of that under warranty? I am surprised it was not a key replacement or a section of keys, I have not taken mine apart to know how it is built.

For live performance I am integrating the JD-Xi along side my Jupiter-50 and Lucina AX-09. I am switching my heavier synths and going with light weight. My heavy synths will now be left in the studio.

I must say that I have been practicing our latest set with a new vocalist for the past month or so with the JD-Xi in my rig and I have not withheld any force from playing 3 fingered chrords, leads, and bass lines.

About synth builds, I had a miniBrute that I barely touched and it had one key that developed a problem. I noticed one day that one of the the keys was higher than the others. I opened up the unit and a plastic piece that fit in the bushing had broken. I foind out through the net some of the miniBrutes had this issue of brittle plastic parts in the keybed. I got rid of the miniBrute and have not gotten another one nor plan to.
I put in my request yesterday, I haven't heard back from Roland yet. The keybed is split into 3 sections with 3 screws but I am not sure how to replace just one section, I will leave it up to Roland if they send just the top section or one key. It is easier to pull out the whole keybed though as one unit but if I have to I will figure how to replace just a section or maybe just one key? The weird thing about how the keys are connected is just a thin plastic that is one piece connected to the actual key, to me it looks like these thin connections could break fairly easy and when they do there is nothing to hold it in place. There is no way to glue the key back on once it breaks, I used a silver electrical tape but the tension on the key is never the same and it feels loose and hits the other key next to it. I have to say that this sucks. I have only had it 3 weeks.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

I have just received my JDXi, apart the good sound, the keys feel like a eggshell. The hinges of the keys are thin plastic, so it is prone to break.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

richardbates1 wrote: I put in my request yesterday, I haven't heard back from Roland yet. The keybed is split into 3 sections with 3 screws but I am not sure how to replace just one section, I will leave it up to Roland if they send just the top section or one key. It is easier to pull out the whole keybed though as one unit but if I have to I will figure how to replace just a section or maybe just one key? The weird thing about how the keys are connected is just a thin plastic that is one piece connected to the actual key, to me it looks like these thin connections could break fairly easy and when they do there is nothing to hold it in place. There is no way to glue the key back on once it breaks, I used a silver electrical tape but the tension on the key is never the same and it feels loose and hits the other key next to it. I have to say that this sucks. I have only had it 3 weeks.
That does stink, hope you get it sorted soon.
apauw

Post by apauw »

Out of interest, could you post some pictures showing the damage?

I hope you get it fixed soon (and under warranty obviously).

Albert
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

apauw wrote:Out of interest, could you post some pictures showing the damage?

I hope you get it fixed soon (and under warranty obviously).

Albert
The images of damage and temporary fix
Click on images to show full image.
image1
image1
1.jpg (313.95 KiB) Viewed 12998 times
image2
image2
2.jpg (359.83 KiB) Viewed 12998 times
Image3
Image3
5.jpg (388.06 KiB) Viewed 12998 times
First phase fix
the fix1
the fix1
3.jpg (361.22 KiB) Viewed 12998 times
The final temp fix
The final temporary fix
The final temporary fix
4.jpg (401.25 KiB) Viewed 12998 times
apauw

Post by apauw »

So the spring of the key is actually the little lever sticking out from the key and held back by the bar with the screws?

Hmm. Keep us posted on your progress with Roland.
apauw

Post by apauw »

Looking again it looks like the white bar (with the screws) and the white keys are one plastic piece.
I understand now you talking about the keys split in three parts.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Those modular keys are similar to what Yamaha has been using for their full size keyboards and their latest MX-series. I hope Roland does not implement this type of design on the JD-Xi because of its price point.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

It is so weak as I could imagine. Well, the keybed is a bonus, for the quality of sounds and the price.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

CesarsoundOne wrote:It is so weak as I could imagine. Well, the keybed is a bonus, for the quality of sounds and the price.
Maybe it is best to think of the JDXi as sound module and don't use the keys?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

richardbates1 wrote:
CesarsoundOne wrote:It is so weak as I could imagine. Well, the keybed is a bonus, for the quality of sounds and the price.
Maybe it is best to think of the JDXi as sound module and don't use the keys?
That is exactly what I would do if I had one, and I take this opportunity to ask you about how the keybed is connected to the main board.
Is it by the flat cable that is seen in a couple of your photos?
or just at the edge of the keybed (not shown) as in all other Roland synths/controllers?

P.S: That is incredible how fragile the keys look. The Spring is actually the plastic mould itself, and the key is part of it... really fragile...

Thanks
Paulo