Official Juno-G replacements from Roland!

Forum for JUNO-G
marczellm

Re: Official Juno-G replacements from Roland!

Post by marczellm »

The software is distributed through Roland company's internal service network, and that's where they order the parts too, so no ordinary human can get their hands on it :)
DHardmanJr

Post by DHardmanJr »

I followed the advice on the Roland UK forum to get a new replacement screen:

http://www.rolandforums.co.uk/forums/viewthread/6815/

I got the new screen and installed it with no problems. Roland emailed me the software that was required. The new screen seems a bit brighter/sharper than the old one and the best part is it works great! It's still the same color screen (amber-ish), but the design of the screen has been revised and those glued-on connectors (believed by many to be the source of the reliability problems with the old screens) are not present on the newly manufactured screens - it is a different design.

Just thought I'd share the good news.
toelessfoot

Post by toelessfoot »

Just got my screen replaced at the Mississauga office, only had to pay labor and turnaround was only 2 days :D
ommoran

Post by ommoran »

Thanks to this thread, I called Roland Canada last week. I copped to the fact that I bought the unit used, and they said to bring it in and they will do the repair and let me know the price.

Dropped it off last Wednesday, and was called today to let me know it was ready for pickup (I live in Vancouver, fortunately, so the facility is quite local). I have my Juno-G back, which is fantastic! The parts were free, and I had to pay $67 in labour.

Thanks Roland Canada!
SagaciousB

Post by SagaciousB »

Unfortunately, it looks like this repair isn't covered for free if you bought the keyboard used in the US as I did. So, I bought the replacement screen, but indeed, it states that I'll need to update my firmware to version 2.01.
Calling Roland US hasn't been terribly helpful, as they've just told me to go to the website to download it, which only has version 2.0.
Any suggestions on how to get 2.01?

Also, how exactly is one supposed to update the firmware without being able to see the display? Any tips?
marczellm

Post by marczellm »

AFAIK only Roland service personnel have access to software version 2.01 via intranet.
SagaciousB

Post by SagaciousB »

After several calls to Roland, and being passed between the Parts department, customer service department, product support department, whatever other department, in full circle loops with nobody seeming to want to take responsibility, I finally was able to get a .zip file and .pdf e-mailed to me from a nice employee, Craig, who wasn't quite sure it was the right thing, but I confirmed it was Boot version 1.01 and SW version 2.01 before installing - new screen now works like a charm. What a pain! I don't know why Roland doesn't just include a CD-ROM with the software with the new screen. It'd be super cheap for them, and probably cost them less than the time of their customer support staff that was wasted.
I will say this - my overall experience with the company has been very soured, and I'd be pretty unlikely to ever buy another Roland again :-(
jwerner

Post by jwerner »

Hello, SagaciousB.

Could you please send me the files for the boot and system update? johnny.werner@gmail.com

Thank you.

Johnny, from Brazil.
silverleo

Post by silverleo »

Hi SagaciousB!

I'm still searching for a new screen replacement part;
In the meanwhile, could you mail me the firmware updates? eugenio.newsgroup@gmail.com
cl

Post by cl »

RolandUS does have the new screen in stock (I think they said it was $125) HOWEVER, they asked if I was the original owner (yes), can ya prove it (yes), then get an RA, send the unit in and we will replace it for FREE (a really hard price to beat). Think it cost me $25 to fed-ex ground it to CA..... Hopefully, they can turn it around quickly.
Now... if I can just sell that worthless Gi.. I bought to replace it...................................
guitarmann65

Post by guitarmann65 »

I've replaced my new screen but need the bits. I've read about how difficult it is to get your hands on the boot and program updates. Can someone send these to me at randle.pinder@gmail.com?

Guitarmann65
etherweet

Post by etherweet »

i just got my juno back from roland service in los angeles.

to me it is a much better display. it doesnt have any of the leakage or smearing we thought we had to put up with and it seems to be sharper. there also seems to be some subtle improvements in the shapes of objects on the screen.

i think it is very well worth it.

i shipped it to them and they covered the shipping back less than 2 weeks later.

im really happy. kudos to roland for making this happen!!!!
Wagnerxp64fx

Post by Wagnerxp64fx »

Hello, SagaciousB.Could you please send me the files for the boot and system update? wagnerxp64fx@gmail.com Thank you.Johnny, from Brazil.
brantala01

Post by brantala01 »

I too am looking for the firmware update please!! Whoever has the files, can you please email them to me: brantala01@yahoo.com Thank you!!