Problem mixing midi-tracks using Roland SD-50 with Sonar

Forum for SonicCell
DinMartin

Problem mixing midi-tracks using Roland SD-50 with Sonar

Post by DinMartin »

Forgive me for posting a sd-50 sound canvas problem under SonicCell but the two seems to be very similar as regards functionality, and I did not find a sd-50 forum.

Problem mixing midi-tracks using Roland SD-50 with Sonar:

I use Roland SD-50 as a midi-synth and as an audio Interface when reccording with sonar LE (which was provided with the sd-50). I've sucessfully reccorded two audio tracks and two midi tracks and everything works and sound great when listening to the mix from the SD-50 audio analog outputs. However, when I want to mix down and export the mix to an audio file in sonar, the midi tracks is not included in the mix.

I assume this is because i have chosen the sd-50 as output to the midi-tracks. I want to keep things simple and would really prefer not to use any soft synths to play the midi tracks. This was the main motivation for purchasing the sd-50 in the first place.

Should't there besome way to get the SD-50 to send the midi converted to digital audio back to sonar over the usb connection? After all this is what the SD sucessfully does with the audio interface inputs (guitar and vocals)?

I've tried to insert a new audio track in sonar and then chosing the sd-50 as input, but the only thing I can get the SD-50 to feed into an audio track in sonar is whatever I've connected to the sd-50 audio inputs. It seems strange to me that sonar and roland sd-50 are supposed to work well together when the only thing usable application of the sd in reccording in sonar is as an audio Interface?

Please help, I've must have overlooked something..

I use Roland SD-50 as a midi-synth and as an audio Interface when reccording with sonar LE (which was provided with the sd-50). I've sucessfully reccorded two audio tracks and two midi tracks and everything works and sound great when listening to the mix from the SD-50 audio analog outputs. However, when I want to mix down and export the mix to an audio file in sonar, the midi tracks is not included in the mix.

I assume this is because i have chosen the sd-50 as output to the midi-tracks. I want to keep things simple and would really prefer not to use any soft synths to play the midi tracks. This was the main motivation for purchasing the sd-50 in the first place.

Should't there besome way to get the SD-50 to send the midi converted to digital audio back to sonar over the usb connection? After all this is what the SD sucessfully does with the audio interface inputs (guitar and vocals)?

I've tried to insert a new audio track in sonar and then chosing the sd-50 as input, but the only thing I can get the SD-50 to feed into an audio track in sonar is whatever I've connected to the sd-50 audio inputs. It seems strange to me that sonar and roland sd-50 are supposed to work well together when the only thing usable application of the sd in reccording in sonar is as an audio Interface?

Please help, I've must have overlooked something..
rcraven

Re: Problem mixing midi-tracks using Roland SD-50 with Sonar

Post by rcraven »

Hi
Page 59 of the manual might be helpful.

TG to Computer : Specifies whether the audio signal of the SD-50’s MIDI sound generator will be output to the computer.
ON: The audio signal of the SD-50’s sound generator will be output.
OFF: The audio signal of the SD-50’s sound generator will not be output.

All the best
Royce
DinMartin

Re: Problem mixing midi-tracks using Roland SD-50 with Sonar

Post by DinMartin »

Well that worked! Thanks! I now have a working studio setup. I guess you can imagine how you saved my day.