MC 909 transmit program/bank change?

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
WillyCarrot

MC 909 transmit program/bank change?

Post by WillyCarrot »

Hello all,

I've searched high and low for a solution to this but I can't find it anywhere. So I hope someone here can help me out.

Right now, I use my MC909 as a controller for a Bass Station Rack, A-Station, Ultranova and U220.
On the MC909, Transmit Program and Transmit Bank Change are set to On. But every time I start a song, I have to manually set the bank/program on each of the external sound devices themselves, instead of the MC909 selecting them externally via MIDI.

Basically, I want the MC909 to select the bank and program on the external sound devices whenever I start a pattern on the MC909.

The sounds on the sound devices do play via MIDI from the MC909, and I've tried these settings on the MC909:

System
Version 1.23

Seq Sync
Sync Mode: Master/Remote
Sync Output: On
Arpeggio Sync Mode: Off
RPS Trigger Quantize: 16th
BPM Lock: Off

MIDI Tx
Transmit Program Change: On
Transmit Bank Select: On
Transmit Active Sensing: On
Transmit Patch Edit Type: TYPE-QUICK / TYPE-CC
Transmit Edit Data: On/Off
Soft Through: On

MIDI Rx
Remote Keyboard Switch: On
Device ID: 17
Receive Program Change: On
Receive Bank Select: On
Receive Exclusive: On

Thanks for your help!
bonerton

Re: MC 909 transmit program/bank change?

Post by bonerton »

Record a program change or bank select into the beginning of your pattern
WillyCarrot

Post by WillyCarrot »

bonerton wrote:Record a program change or bank select into the beginning of your pattern
Hi bonerton,

Thanks for your reply.
Although this problem is already solved thanks to the same advice on a different forum.
bonerton

Post by bonerton »

The only problem I've encountered with this method is that when the pattern loops, the program/bank select message is resent, which creates a hiccup in playback on the external synth. Does this happen for anyone else, and if so, mind sharing any work arounds? Was thinking of trying the messages at the end of the previous pattern instead of at the beginning, or maybe creating a pattern that is meant solely for setup/switching to the next pattern. Seems like program/bank changes should be stored with the patterns Setup Parameters.