MV crashed w/midi....plus some housekeeping questions

Forum for MV-8000/8800
conecthink

MV crashed w/midi....plus some housekeeping questions

Post by conecthink »

my mv-8000 crashed while putting in some drums simultaneously triggering my bs2 for some sounds i was later gonna record as audio. no response anymore. Is there some sort of ctr-alt-del equivalent to get the MV unfrozen?

I had to shut down and when I started everthing was gone cause i didnt save. which sucks. I guess theres no way to recover that data anymore?

What could be going wrong here..the freeze happend a couple times before.. everytime when hooked up to midi.. how can I prevent this from happening?
--------------------------------------------------------

some basic stuff.

My MV is getting a bit crowded, are the samples we use in songs contained within that song? in other words can I erase some samples/drumkits from the user library without having all sort of stuff missing from my projects?

Can I erase projects working from the pc or do i have to go through the MV menus to do that properly?

When I usb connect the pc advises to scan the disk of the mv for errors.. Ive never dont that. But is that advisable? can we use pc disk utilities on the MV without fudging the whole thing up?

many thanks
hamburger_helper

Re: MV crashed w/midi....plus some housekeeping questions

Post by hamburger_helper »

i think the crash you experienced comes from a midi feedback loop. maybe, happened to me a few times with this one synth i had. sounds similar. if thats the case you either have midi in and out goin into the bs2 so the mv is receving while sending and the bs2 spits out too much midi so its an overload.
or its just bs2 sending to much midi information. or its something completely different.
unfortunately im not a black belt with midi protocol.
some synths gel very well with the mv, some dont.

to prevent this read the bs2 manual and turn off all midi info you dont need. basicly all you need is note on/off and cc automation if you use that. or just run one midi cable to the bs2 to clock it, instead of two, that will also prevent any feedback loop as it will just be receiving and not transmitting.
if that doesnt work..i dont know.

as for samples,i dont know if you xcan delete em from the user bank and et away with it.
lazy answer, is to just get a bigger harddrive.
Know1

Post by Know1 »

First I would be very very careful with having your MV hooked up to a Windows PC. Windows Media Player wants to index the drive and it will phuck it up.
That said though, you can easily make edits from your PC. It's no big deal as long as you take the proper precautions.

Now about the freezing you are getting. Are you by chance previewing a patch during the freeze? Because there is a bug with that. It will also freeze up if there's an incompatible or unsupported file type in the project. That does usually happen on import though.

I've never heard of it freezing just because of midi. Also was quick edit pressed even accidentally?
winerzzz

Post by winerzzz »

Another case study which may be useful for this thread:

After 8 years of smug MV ownership with NOT A SINGLE crash (a fact I never tire of passing on to my DAW owning friends) I had my first one the other week. It just happened to be the first time I added a MIDI router into the mix (Midisport 8x8) and I was still figuring out the MIDI filter settings, so most probably overloaded the MV.
conecthink

Post by conecthink »

Know1 wrote:Now about the freezing you are getting. Are you by chance previewing a patch during the freeze? Because there is a bug with that. It will also freeze up if there's an incompatible or unsupported file type in the project. That does usually happen on import though.

I've never heard of it freezing just because of midi. Also was quick edit pressed even accidentally?
actually the freezing didnt occur again...so I think indeed something specific mustve happened. I think it was something like being in a menu with the track playing in the background and I was twisting some buttons on the synth. ive noticed some faders on the synth sometime serve as a controller for the MV. like the release button on the synth also doing reverb in the mv mixer (it doesnt always do that, im not bothered finding out why tho) I think the mv just got twisted up with something.

what I remember it wasnt even a total freeze. some functions kept working, but I think the track wouldnt play and one menu kept in the foreground unable to close...and I couldnt do save or normal shutdown.
Soul One

Post by Soul One »

conecthink wrote:ive noticed some faders on the synth sometime serve as a controller for the MV. like the release button on the synth also doing reverb in the mv mixer
Turn off Multi Timbre Sampler Mode or change the MFX Rx Channel.