Any Roland JX-8P users here???

Forum for JUNO, JUPITER and JX synthesizers from 1980's
onemoretime

Any Roland JX-8P users here???

Post by onemoretime »

Hi friends!
I have a roland JX-8p synth that I really like. It is capable of some great sounds if you know what you are doing with it. However it has one dead voice chip. How do I go about identifing which voice chip this is out of the 6 and where can I find replacements? Is it the same chip used in juno 106?
I have fixed a juno 106 before so maybe I can restore this synthi too coz I really like the sounds I am getting editing it with sounddriver.
But I looked around the net and there is not much info so any help will be appriciated. Thanks!
DOM!

Re: Any Roland JX-8P users here???

Post by DOM! »

onemoretime-

I love my JX-8p but it hasn't had any of the issues you describe so I have not bothered into looking at the architecture. Sorry no help here but I am a user of the JX

I am in the process of refurbing 3 chips out of my 106 though..

DOM!
husband43

Post by husband43 »

Well I've just got my hands on one so yes :)
raymond

Post by raymond »

I have an 8P too, but no probs here.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

yes, have one since yesterday...!

Do you consider to selfttest the JX? Do you have the service manual (search internet)?

Cheers,
BennySeven
scottrod

Post by scottrod »

New owner, love it. Got the aftertouch working 100%. Would also advise people to do the filter resonance calibration, made a world of difference on both my JX-10 and JX-8P.

It does sound a bit different than the JX-10 or MKS-70 (I have both) even when loading the same patches.
tomkitel

Post by tomkitel »

scottrod wrote:Would also advise people to do the filter resonance calibration, made a world of difference on both my JX-10 and JX-8P.
Interesting recommendation. Is there any tutorial available how the calibration is done with the JX8P? I am loving mine a lot.
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

Hi,
I've just seen this part of the forum - I am usually looking at the Boutique and Roland Cloud section.

Have owned a JX8P for about 10 years and it's a really great warm synth. All that potential locked away unless you have a PG800 ( which I don't ).

JX8P fans should check out Martin Luders PG8X vst. It's very authentic!