Mod/Pitch Wheel Defect

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
jblongz

Mod/Pitch Wheel Defect

Post by jblongz »

This week my pitch wheel is acting up. When I add modulation or a pitch bend, it microtunes my upward. I cannot restore it unless I change the patch and go back. When recording in a DAW via midi, the microtune change records as automation. Based on midi evidence, the pitch bend will not default back to zero by itself. I don't know how to fix this...I tried a factory reset...no solution.
Firebass

Re: Mod/Pitch Wheel Defect

Post by Firebass »

Mine has been doing the same thing. I have been fighting this for months. I found that if I start over and re initialize the "studio set" which is going out of tune. Problem is that's hard to do if your in the middle of a tune! Is yours just doing this on one studio set? I am hoping that Roland will fix this bug on the next update.
Firebass

Post by Firebass »

Normally when mine acts up, the bend wheel knocks the unit out of tune corrupting only a single studio set. Usually (not always) every other studio set stays in tune. Like you say if you re-load the problem studio set it stays in tune until you bend again. Then its up about a half tone. At first I tried only initializing the "Part #" of the studio set but it didn't seem to stop the tuning problem. I found that I have to Initialize the whole Studio Set (Remember to write/save it) Another thing I do when it starts acting up is to hold the pitch bend lever to the left and restart the unit. Don't know why but it sometimes seems to keep it from going out of tune... ???? When one or more Studio Sets are acting up. I always go thru the studio sets I will be using and check that they are staying in tune. It seems once you have powered up, and checked them,, that they stay in tune. Its like a studio set is some how randomly getting corrupt during startup or power off. I play my FA a bunch and it just shy of a year old and otherwise love it.

Any input is appreciated and I'd really like to hear from Roland on this one.
Steve
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Don't touch the bender while system startup.
If the malfunctionn remains, ask your local dealer to check the hardware.

Waiting for any "updates" makes no sense.
jblongz

Post by jblongz »

Well, turns out my mod wheel is defective... I called Roland and ordered a replacement mod wheel. Cost is $28 USD. When it arrives, I will replace myself and report the result. I prefer DIY because I don't want to ship the keyboard. I already opened it and the job seems simple enough for any handy person.
Firebass

Post by Firebass »

jblongz wrote:Well, turns out my mod wheel is defective... I called Roland and ordered a replacement mod wheel. Cost is $28 USD. When it arrives, I will replace myself and report the result. I prefer DIY because I don't want to ship the keyboard. I already opened it and the job seems simple enough for any handy person.
Sounds like the same problem I'm having. I think I will call and order the same part for mine.. Thanks for posting! I look forward to your report.
0kk0p3kk4

Post by 0kk0p3kk4 »

I have noticed this pitch-bend problem too and I disassembled the whole thing.
I have tested so many scenarios that I am beginning to assume that this going-into-untune-situation is because of the circuit board moving a bit compared to to the axis https://43.img.avito.st/640x480/253436243.jpg (just for example a visual of the CB-thing :D)

I've tried to tighten the nut also ( https://www.beckettsmusic.co.uk/shop/Pr ... 55990R.jpg the thing on the left can be found) but it seems not to hold and keep it in place.

I think I'll be making something extra (add some element like metal or wood whatever) to ensure its stays in place as it should.
Firebass

Post by Firebass »

Have you tried replacing the pitch bend unit as shown?
0kk0p3kk4

Post by 0kk0p3kk4 »

Firebass wrote:Have you tried replacing the pitch bend unit as shown?
do u mean to buy a replace part?
to me nothing seems broken.
if scenario is correct, it should be fairly easy to "diy-fix" :)
Firebass

Post by Firebass »

Hi 0kk0p3kk4,

I was just wondering if you had already tried replacing the pitch bend unit. jblongs say's the factory is claiming its a defective pitch bend unit on his, and my symptoms seem to ditto both his and your problem. I'm just waiting to hear back from him before I try his fix. But if you have found the culprit you have my attention. I don't want to ship my keyboard back to the factory to have it fixed either. I'm sure more FA's will start to have the same issue with age. Again "I love my FA-06 except for this. And its sounds like a simple fix.

Thanks!
Firebass
0kk0p3kk4

Post by 0kk0p3kk4 »

after several attempts to fix it, now it would seem to be stable (I hope). This was hard to conclude after all. I had to take every part of the pitch bend (PB) unit out. First I just tried putting small pieces of wood in between the plastic container and the circuit board so it couldnt move but this didnt help since the nut was a bit loose so the cb actually could "swing" a bit.

I think that the problem have began because as I do vibrato manually and maybe the PB-nut has become loose over time -> then the parts have started to move and eat a tiny it of the container plastic.

This is not the real one but just to give an example. lets say the PB has this kind of part http://www.synth-parts.com/out/pictures ... roduct.jpg and here the smaller "rising" metal part on the left gets to move against the plastic back and forth -> when it gets to move during playing and using the PB then the untune-effect appears. ( https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... sjcPjoClPw this would seem like real one but too small to make an example)

So what I did, I put some wood between the plastic and CB and then tightened the nut like hell to the right position. it can be also tightened to wrong position because a tiny amount of the plastic has worn out.

Normally when I play, the untune happens in minutes, now after hours it has been steady.
Sorry for no actual images.
jblongz

Post by jblongz »

So, I received the new mod wheel today. It was simple to replace. After you remove the keyaboard's bottom panel, you will see the mod wheel assembly. One cable has to be detached and then 4 screws holding down the unit. It took about 10 minutes to open, replace, and close. The problem has been eliminated.
Firebass

Post by Firebass »

Nice! Thanks for posting
etherweet

Post by etherweet »

more than likely the bend pot is not at the "zero" reference when the system boots and samples the value of the pot. it does this so it knows when the bend lever is neutral. if you move it while it boots and samples the value it very well might use a wrong value for zero until it boots and looks for absolute middle again. this has rang true with a lot of volume pedals and even footswitches. a famous yamaha board would screw with a lot of people who waited to the last minute to plug the pedal in AFTER powering up and either or both sustain and volume worked backwards or at least the wrong level.

they probably use a better product for the bend pot now with a tighter tolerance both physically and electrically. if this is true the best way to get this over and done with would be get the part from roland. throwing home made parts in there is going to frustrate you and let you down at the worst moment.
Firebass

Post by Firebass »

Finally got my new pitch/mod replacement. Problem fixed. No more drifting out of key

Thank you Roland!

Firebass