Modal Electronics ~ Modulus 002

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Synth Guru

Modal Electronics ~ Modulus 002

Post by Synth Guru »

I am sure that by now most of you may have heard about the Modulus line of synthesizers from Modal Electronics. They are extremely pricey but built with very high quality components anywhere from the key bed, filters, to the large LCD display. The Modulus 002 is a hybrid synth similar to the Prophet 12 and the Roland JD-XA which utilizes both analog and digital technology. It sounds really amazing. After reading many reviews and watching lots of videos, I decided to pull the trigger and order one. The price tag is enough to leave anyone's jaw wide open but the thought of owning one just won't leave me in peace. After I parted ways with my JD-XA it left a vacuum that could only be replaced with another hybrid synth.

I read that some people felt that because of the high cost of this instrument that Modal Electronics could go out of business in the future leaving its customers high and dry. The thought ran through my mind but then I thought you only live once and why not enjoy something that screams high quality with incredible sonic potential while you are still alive. The thought of selling one or two of my other keyboards crossed my mind as a way to finance the cost of the 002 but I quickly put that thought to rest as I know that I would end up regretting it as others have done so in the past.

I'm confident that in the future more keyboard manufacturers will begin producing hybrid synthesizers and will keep this trend alive for many years to come.

One final thought, you never know that the instrument you have now or will be getting in the future just may one day become that coveted vintage synth of the past.

Cheers!
DaniH

Re: Modal Electronics ~ Modulus 002

Post by DaniH »

I would love to have a Modal synth. They sound really amazing and the build quality does look impressive. I would choose one over the JD-XA given the choice. Support for any synth is only a matter of time before it's not supported anymore. Please share some videos of it when you get it.
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

DaniH wrote:I would love to have a Modal synth. They sound really amazing and the build quality does look impressive. I would choose one over the JD-XA given the choice. Support for any synth is only a matter of time before it's not supported anymore. Please share some videos of it when you get it.
Will do. I did an un-boxing video and still need to learn how to upload it into YouTube. Once I get it done I'll post it here. It may be a little while though, going through some hard times with my brother being in the hospital :(

I'm also going to record some sounds and create a sound cloud account in the not too distant future.
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

Here's a little track made with the 002.

https://soundcloud.com/synth-guru/crystal-dreams
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

At last, the unboxing video with a little help from my cat :)

https://youtu.be/ZYdwP_vzFiA

Cheers!