Musikmesse and Jupiter 80 replacements?

Forum for JUPITER-80
Jan_nl

Re: Musikmesse and Jupiter 80 replacements?

Post by Jan_nl »

I just checked the manual, and the ensemble mode of the ARX-03 I was referring to was implemented as either 'unison' or 'stack' mode.
I can't recall if this feature found its way in any other product of Roland, and if not, it's a pity because it's really very good. As a matter of fact, Yamaha must have felt the same when they decided to implement a similar auto-divisi ensemble mode in the Tyros 5.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

It would be nice for a Jupiter reboot. A synth with 61 keys and synth engine along the lines of the JD-XA crossover idea. It would need more polyphony for the analog section, all of the sliders/controls and the flexibility of creating splits and layers from the Jupiter-80.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Jan_nl wrote:I can't recall if this feature found its way in any other product of Roland, and if not, it's a pity because it's really very good. As a matter of fact, Yamaha must have felt the same when they decided to implement a similar auto-divisi ensemble mode in the Tyros 5.
The Jupiter-80 has a divisi mode but Roland did not advertise it. The included registrations do not utilize it either. When the Tyros 5 later got it Yamaha made a big deal of it. Similar story with the Tone Blender vs the Super Knob. Yamaha get people excited about features Roland already have.
cello

Post by cello »

kimsnarf wrote:Similar story with the Tone Blender vs the Super Knob. Yamaha get people excited about features Roland already have.
Exactly how the superknob struck me! - and I prefer the expression pedal route as it keeps hands free for playing.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

cello wrote:
kimsnarf wrote:Similar story with the Tone Blender vs the Super Knob. Yamaha get people excited about features Roland already have.
Exactly how the superknob struck me! - and I prefer the expression pedal route as it keeps hands free for playing.
In my view the only department where Roland loses against the competition is the ARPs, as Korg and Yamaha are miles away, but regarding sound... Well, Roland still rules!!!
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

kimsnarf wrote:
Jan_nl wrote:I can't recall if this feature found its way in any other product of Roland, and if not, it's a pity because it's really very good. As a matter of fact, Yamaha must have felt the same when they decided to implement a similar auto-divisi ensemble mode in the Tyros 5.
The Jupiter-80 has a divisi mode but Roland did not advertise it. The included registrations do not utilize it either. When the Tyros 5 later got it Yamaha made a big deal of it. Similar story with the Tone Blender vs the Super Knob. Yamaha get people excited about features Roland already have.
Do you mean the Harmony Intelligence function?
I read the manual, and although it has the divisi mode I think it is different from what the ARX-3 features.
I'm not sure, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the Harmony Intelligence is more of a harmonizer function. It adds additional voices to the note you play, but the auto-divisi in the ARX-3 card is something different.
With the ARX-03, if you play one note, all the instruments you use are assigned to the one note.
If you play two notes, the instruments are automatically divided between the two notes, and the same is true for each consecutive note.
So if you use four instruments like 1 trumpet, 2 saxes and 1 trombone and you play one note, all four instruments will play that one note.
If you play two notes, the upper note is played by 1 trumpet and 1 sax, and the lower note is played by 1 sax and 1 trombone, and so forth.
It mimics what happens in real life and as such it is far more realistic than the traditional 'brass' patch.

Similarly the ARX-03 has a stack mode next to the unison mode.
In this mode, if you play one note, the first instrument will sound.
If you play two notes, the first instrument will continue to sound, but the second will be added on top of that. If you play three notes, a third instrument will be added for the third note, and so on.
Again this simulates what happens in real life and adds to the realism.

Four years after Roland released this card Yamaha came out with the Tyros 5 with a brand new 'ensemble' feature as a special highlight.
It's an important feature and a very good idea, and such a pity that Roland did not incorporate it in other products and did not put it more in the spotlight.
I hope they haven't forgotten it and that they will use it (as well as the Harmony Intelligence feature of the JP-80) in the future as well. I think both features are great and worthwhile additions.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Jan_nl wrote: With the ARX-03, if you play one note, all the instruments you use are assigned to the one note.
If you play two notes, the instruments are automatically divided between the two notes, and the same is true for each consecutive note.
So if you use four instruments like 1 trumpet, 2 saxes and 1 trombone and you play one note, all four instruments will play that one note.
If you play two notes, the upper note is played by 1 trumpet and 1 sax, and the lower note is played by 1 sax and 1 trombone, and so forth.
It mimics what happens in real life and as such it is far more realistic than the traditional 'brass' patch.
On the Jupiter-80 this is called a Layer Section.

From the Keyboard Magazine review:
The Jupiter-80 simulates divisi playing after a fashion, via a per-Tone toggle (in Live Sets) called “Layer Section.” Play a single note, and every Tone you’ve enabled will voice it in unison. Playing multiple notes allocates the Tone in layer 1 to the highest note, layer 2 to the next note down, and so on. To approximate a string quartet, you’d put violins in layers 1 and 2, viola in layer 3, and cello in layer 4.

This works with most SuperNatural Acoustic (but not synth) sounds. It’s not perfect, but it’s the only solution I’ve seen in a hardware synth that lets you direct divisi proceedings without deep programming.
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

kimsnarf wrote:
Jan_nl wrote: With the ARX-03, if you play one note, all the instruments you use are assigned to the one note.
On the Jupiter-80 this is called a Layer Section.

From the Keyboard Magazine review:
The Jupiter-80 simulates divisi playing after a fashion, via a per-Tone toggle (in Live Sets) called “Layer Section.” Play a single note, and every Tone you’ve enabled will voice it in unison. Playing multiple notes allocates the Tone in layer 1 to the highest note, layer 2 to the next note down, and so on. To approximate a string quartet, you’d put violins in layers 1 and 2, viola in layer 3, and cello in layer 4.

This works with most SuperNatural Acoustic (but not synth) sounds. It’s not perfect, but it’s the only solution I’ve seen in a hardware synth that lets you direct divisi proceedings without deep programming.
I did not know it existed in the JP-80, thanks for enlightening me.
cello

Post by cello »

Wow - thanks guys! I had no idea that the JP-80 could simulate divisi - I've just gone and transformed what I thought were excellent SN sounds I created into fantastic ones :)

I agree - Roland need to keep this feature in future models - and I never saw the divisi feature promoted in any of the videos I've seen.

(Just as a point to note, the FA which has SN sounds does not have the divisi - layer section - capability)
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

I found it.
It's in the parameter list of the JP-80 and activated by the Layer Section Switch, p.21+23, and it's the equivalent of the 'unison' mode in the ARX-03.
It seems the 'stack' mode is unique to the ARX-03.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Hey Cello! Can you elaborate on how to set this up? I have been looking in the parameter list of the JP-80 for the Layer Section Switch that activates this feature? Any more info would be great!

Thanks!
cello wrote:Wow - thanks guys! I had no idea that the JP-80 could simulate divisi - I've just gone and transformed what I thought were excellent SN sounds I created into fantastic ones :)

I agree - Roland need to keep this feature in future models - and I never saw the divisi feature promoted in any of the videos I've seen.

(Just as a point to note, the FA which has SN sounds does not have the divisi - layer section - capability)
cello

Post by cello »

flyingace wrote:Hey Cello! Can you elaborate on how to set this up? I have been looking in the parameter list of the JP-80 for the Layer Section Switch that activates this feature? Any more info would be great!

Thanks!
Here you go -> http://youtu.be/pyTLv6QOqcE
(A short video I made about divisi and how to set it up)
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Thanks Cello, that was great! I really appreciate you taking the time to show us that. I am definitely going to dig into my orchestral and quartet sounds and use this!
brooster

Post by brooster »

Is this Divisi feature in the Integra 7?