Studio Set / Song-Patch Sharing

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Jdoo

Studio Set / Song-Patch Sharing

Post by Jdoo »

I've searched through the various threads that talk about this, but nothing really seemed to get off the ground. I am interested in creating, sharing, and downloading shared Studio Sets for my FA06. I saw that someone on the forum created a utility for dumping stuff out of the FA, and a mechanism for loading... but I think what I am after is something a lot simpler. That is -- create Studio Set (backups) for songs, then host / share them. I've been using MainStage years, and have a boatload of the songs I use saved in MainStage "Concerts". A bunch of the songs in these concerts came from these saved MainStage / Logic presets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt_pbZcr7fc , and a couple of other sets that he sells. Anyway - these songs are layered/split based in MainStage concerts, and Logic Patches, and they're excellent. I started decomposing some of the songs earlier today, and creating Studio Sets on my FA that have these songs (comprised of FA Tones that are similar, and layers/Splits like the ones in the video). So far, I've created studio sets for six or so of these patches. I'm somewhat hampered by still being in the learning cycle of the FA.. but am making progress.

Anyone else done something similar with Studio Sets/Backups? It will take me a couple of weeks to get this together. There are 35-40 songs I'll be creating Studio sets for. My intention, is to create a backup of these, then make em available to trade / give away. I am very interested in getting sharing / learning from other folks studio sets too.

Am planning on initially, sticking to FA built-in sounds, and not relying on any Axial Libraries, or EXP bits. Being a nOOb to the FA, I am not sure how I could even share altered/downloaded tones.

Blind alley? Dumb idea? Anyone interested in starting to share? Again - I've got to keep it simple, and not rely on homegrown FA utility programs, or complicated schemes. Backup/Studio Sets seems to be easy to harness, common ground. At least that's the picture that Ed Diaz painted in his "How to share Studio Sets" vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo7ih7J ... e=youtu.be
Jdoo

Re: Studio Set / Song-Patch Sharing

Post by Jdoo »

70 Hits. Maybe there's interest in FA Studio Set / Patch sharing? Maybe it was the catchy thread title? In any case.. I'm done with the Tone Selection / Mapping for a few tunes. Thinking Out Loud (Ed Sheeran), Take Me On (a-ha), Jump ( Van Halen), Africa ( Toto ), Love Walks In ( Van Halen), Don't Stop Believing ( Journey), Separate Ways ( Journey ), Shape Of My Heart (Sting), Head Over Heels (Tears For Fears), Bette Davis Eyes ( Kim Carnes), Babe ( Styx), Orinoco Flow (Enya ). I have another six or so completed, that need mapping / balancing. I have somewhere north of 30 in the queue. This is a good way for me to learn sound setup on the FA, and I'm doing it anyway . I won't be charging for these.. but hope to see others post their patches, update what is posted (admittedly, I am still learning what's available in the FAs provided patches, so I know there will likely be better / more appropriate tones to use).

As an example... Orinoco Flow is a studio set with four stock tones, mapped across the full keyboard.
1 SN-S PRST 0256 : HyperVentChr - Level: 90
(VOX) Vox/Choir - under VOCAL/CHOIR
2 PCMS PRST 0587 : Marcato Str - Level: 100
(STR) Ens.Strings - under STRINGS/ORCHESTRA
3 SN-S PRST 0005 : JP8 Strings5 - Level: 100
(SYN) Synth Pad/Str - under SYNTH/PAD
4 SN-A PRST 0001 : Full Grand 1 - Level: 90
(PNO) Ac.Piano - under A.PIANO/E.PIANO

I've mapped the pads to KBD SW,, and will dink around with adding other instruments that might add to the chorus/strings part (i think Orinoco Flow could use more strings/richer than what i have). Since I play my FA through my Axiom Pro - it's taking me some time to map tunes for both... but it's coming along. Is this a perfect recreation of Enya's setup? Not so much. But it's close, and a start. I posted the above. . to give a sense of what I'm doing. Like i mentioned earlier - am not altering the tones / just using stock tones.

Anyway - thought I would post progress.. mention what I'm doing. I am doing these anyway - and will be sharing a backup with the Studio Sets in it.
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Jdoo,

I think it's great you are doing this, I would contribute but I'm not that good at it and my needs are sort of specialized and constantly changing. For instance from Doors Tribute to Pink Floyd show to Allman Brothers....

I know my drummer wants to do Africa, not sure our singer can pull that off, though. Same for the Journey tunes!

Regards,
Joe
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Thanks Joe. Nice thing about the FAs... is transposing is available right on the front, not buried in a menu. Pitch the tunes into your singer's range (it doesnt change up the layers/splits I am doing). I'll try to have a backup ready for download by the end of this next weekend. I should have 10-15 songs done.

Joe (too)
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Am done with Rev. 0 of the first batch (FA Backup) of 16 Studio Sets. Each studio set has patches for a song. This a work in progress, and I still have a lot to learn (including best tones to use for the different songs). Some of these play better with my Axiom Pro (midi-out from the Axiom to my FA-06) - especially AP / EP , and guitar tones, but that may just be my ignorance in setting up better velocity setting on the FA.

I plan on creating either MIDI songs which show how these can be used, or simply recording a live session (samples) using them.

I'll share these studio sets via backup. Copy the backup onto your SD Card, and using Utility/Import Studio Set/Tone, Select the Studio Set/Song(s) and pick a free location on the FA to install it. The link I posted earlier from Ed Diaz covers this.

These are free, with no intention to sell. As a new FA user, I am still learning - so these may not be setup to everyone's liking. But.. free is free - so there's that. :)

Here is what's in the 16 studio sets (tones selected, keyboard mapped, some minor Studio Set tweaks): Jump, Take Me On, Africa, Final Countdown, Don't Stop Believing, Separate Ways, Shape of My Heart, Head Over Heels, Bette Davis Eyes, Babe, Orinoco, Like a Virgin, Ride Like The Wind, Thinking Out Loud, Love Walks In, and Walking On Sunshine. I have another batch in the works.

If you are interested in helping me test out this initial version... please PM me.

Joe
cda

Post by cda »

Jdoo - it's great you are doing this. Good luck. I can't contribute, however, as all my Studio Sets are for my stuff and no use to anyone else.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

cda wrote:Jdoo - it's great you are doing this. Good luck. I can't contribute, however, as all my Studio Sets are for my stuff and no use to anyone else.
Thanks cda. No worries. Since I am using unmodified (basically stock) tones, these are probably going to be mostly useful as starter Studio Sets for someone to tweak to their needs. I began making one-take sequences for each of the patches yesterday, but with the holiday, and an ever growing honey-do list from she who must be obeyed (swmbo), it's taking longer than expected. Still hoping to be done with these in the next couple of days.
orion1971

Post by orion1971 »

I don't know if this is of interest to you or anyone else but just today I have made a Facebook Group for the purpose of owners of the Roland FA06/08 sharing Studio Sets and Patches. As of now there is not anything on there but people are joining (Only opened the group a few hours ago).. I will be adding patches and sets soon....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1202238383121490/
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Sorry for the delay. Have several Studio Sets in the first backup, ready to go. Each studio set represents a 'song' with two or more parts layered / split to make up bits of the song. Many thanks to the folks who have either volunteered song/sets, or helped test. I've learned quite a bit in putting these together. I am doing some last minute checking that custom tones are in the backup, and available. Then I'll post the file.

I have concern (however unfounded), that folks need to use care in loading these. :) Specifically, a backup is the easiest way to distribute multiple Studio Sets. The backup is meant to be used, for someone to select UTILITY from the Menu, then IMPORT STUDIO SET/TONE . This will allow you to pick/choose what Song (Studio Set) you load from the backup, and designate a location on your FA where it will go. It is safe, if you follow the manual. NOTE: Doing a full Restore from the backup... could be a disaster. Especially if you don't have a backup of your existing setup. In any case... the usual disclaimers will apply. Don't use the file if you are uncomfortable with Backup / Restores on your FA. Use at your own risk. No warranty. No lifeguard on duty, etc..

Anyway - should have the backup hosted in the next couple of days.

Orion1971 - interesting idea. What format will you use for sharing studio sets?
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

======== ======= ======== ======= ======== =======
First 5 (of at least 40)

Here is a demo:
FA80sJDoo.mp3
A.D. 1928
Don’t Stop Believing
Bette Davis Eyes
Orinoco Flow
Love Walks In
Take Me On
(4.33 MiB) Downloaded 2029 times
Demo was a 1-take affair. Sorry for the quality. :) Recorded from FA-> Logic Pro.. bounced. Didn't apply effects, or bother with multiple takes. It's only to give an idea of the dry (no external effects) sounds straight from my FA-06.

Caveat. I mentioned in the previous post. Use this at your own risk. If you are not familiar with restoring a Studio Set from a backup.. don't use the file. It is NOT meant to be used to Restore on your FA. This backup is meant to be used as described by Ed Diaz in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo7ih7JkRvA . Specifically, it is meant to be used to IMPORT the studio sets on the disk.

You will need to download the attached backup, and copy it onto an SD Card. You should put it under Roland / FA / Backup / along with your other backups. Don't proceed if you don't have a backup. Do a backup first, then mutz around with this backup.

Check from around the 3 minute mark on.. as Ed Imports Studio Sets. Note: NOT A RESTORE... but an IMPORT Studio Set. ( there.. I've said it again :) ). I think this point, may be the reason there isn't a lot of sharing going on with Studio Sets. Folks are afraid that someone will take a backup (like I have posted below), and overwrite their FA accidentally / in effect - deleting what they had. So -- If you are not familiar with Restoring a Studio Set (or five :) ) - don't use this backup.

======== ======= ======== ======= ======== ======= ======== ======= ======== =======
The Studio Sets.
Are in the backup below. Please read / understand and follow, the Roland help files, and Ed Diaz video on Importing Studio Sets.

Note: Please do not redistribute, or host these Studio Sets elsewhere, without getting permission from me first. I have a boatload more to share, and will do it from this thread, or host them myself. Thank you for respecting this request!

Lastly - These Studio Sets are meant to be tweaked / changed / altered. I purposely stuck to the Tones included in with a Roland FA. These are stock tones, with custom settings and keyboard layouts. They are part of larger sets that I have developed, that have custom settings for my own setup. I have If you have a recommendation or change/addition - please PM me, or post your updates here. I can help via PM, if you want to do a 'clean' backup, that only has the Studio Sets you want shared. I am hoping this thread will gain traction, and see posted Studio Sets from others over time. There are five Studio Sets in this backup. I have roughly 40 more, which I will post. Enjoy, and feedback is welcome and encouraged.
80sPlusJDoo_1.SVD.zip
Unzip me first
(11.18 KiB) Downloaded 1139 times
Joe
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Next 5 Coming Shortly

Here is a demo:
FA80sJDoo2.mp3
(5.21 MiB) Downloaded 1365 times
Poker Face (a better version will be uploaded, this was my lamo shot)
Not In Love (technically a 70's song.. not 80s :D )
Africa
Head Over Heels
Babe

Demo was another 1-take affair. Apologies again for the quality. I should take the time, and not record the parts at the same time, or cull the mistakes - but it's more about what sounds are in the Studio Sets.. not my hammering out a quick demo. :)

Same caveats will apply to these Studio Sets, and subsequent ones. Load if you're comfortable with Importing Studio Sets from the Menus. These are meant to be starter yeast for better versions. Please feel free to change the tones, add / delete / modify the sets. Am really hoping that there is some collaboration on this thread. Please.. change these! Am hoping to learn from others, as they get modified, or folks post their own Studio Sets. I have a couple of studio sets from other Clan members (Including a better Poker Face) that I'll be posting soon.

It will be a couple of days before this batch of Studio Sets is posted. Please post up your own, if you have em!

Cheers

Joe
cello

Post by cello »

Great that you're sharing your sounds Jdoo - many thanks for that :) Would be fab if this kick starts a new community. It would also be fab if Roland gave as a V2 OS so that individual sounds can be exported as opposed to the bulk backup the FA uses now.

I recall that with the Jupiter 80 it initially couldn't export individual sounds, but an OS upgrade from Roland introduced that feature - so they have done it in the past!

I run a site - http://www.jp-80.com - which is a free sound sharing source for several Roland keyboards. It needs a design refresh but I'm wanting to introduce the FA and the JD-XA when I get the chance to get round to it.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

very good, Joe. I appreciate your effort on this. Maybe Cello's site could host all our stuff. I think it is better than in this forum (which is not a database...).
Don't forget to keep the originator.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Thanks cello. You have a PM.

Aloha bennyseven. Absolutely - we need to keep the originator! :) I have mixed feelings about sharing off a private site. While forums are not databases, I have some experience with sharing music stuff on forums. The Logic Pro Help Forums has a 10+ year old thread on sharing Logic Audio Instrument settings, that I have been active with for several years. There are literally 100s of folks who use the settings, and dozens of us who post to the thread. There are thousands of indexed Logic Patches (these allow 3rd party patches to show up in Logic's GUI). Along with the share-files, in the forum thread - are tidbits on usage, best practices, etc. It is great having the dialogue on how to create and use AU Instrumement, along side of the files themselves. OTOH... It can be a challenge for someone new to the Logic Pro Help site/forum to find what they're looking for. Like I said, I have mixed feelings. At the end of the day.. I want to share what I have, see them improved, get what others have created, help those improve. It would be great if it didnt take 5-6 steps to create a dump (backup) of one or more Studio Sets.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

yes, agreed 100%