Fast and furious patch changes

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
MusicAnne

Fast and furious patch changes

Post by MusicAnne »

Hi, I am a new Juno DS88 user, and am due to be playing in a musical which requires numerous and very fast patch changes. Please can anyone help and tell me the best way to program them in, and then the fastest way to change patches during performance?
Thanks in advance!
MusicAnne

Re: Fast and furious patch changes

Post by MusicAnne »

I need to clarify... In an ideal world, I would like to use one button to bring up the patches in the order of performance, as in "next... next... next" so there would be no need to choose banks and numbers, less margin for error.

Please please please, has anybody any advice? I would so appreciate it!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

MusicAnne wrote:I need to clarify... In an ideal world, I would like to use one button to bring up the patches in the order of performance, as in "next... next... next" so there would be no need to choose banks and numbers, less margin for error.

Please please please, has anybody any advice? I would so appreciate it!
Hi MusicAnne,
It seems that the ideal World (sometimes) exists :)

By carefully configuring your Performances in the desired sequence, you can just use the CONTROL PEDAL by configuring it to PROG-UP (or PROG-DOWN), which in the case of a Performance would be equivalent to PERFORMANCE UP.

Please read the attached image (part of the Parameter Guide, page 33)

I hope this works for you

Cheers,
PauloF
Attachments
CONTROL PEDAL-DS-88.jpg
CONTROL PEDAL-DS-88.jpg (134.74 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
MusicAnne

Post by MusicAnne »

Thank you so much, PauloF. I will get one. There are also Favourites up and down, which would also work! Yay!

One question: I started inputting Performances yesterday (which is why I am so pleased your reply is so relevant), which were automatic for Split or Layered sounds. When I wanted a single sound, it reverted to Patch mode, so I pretended it was Layered, to keep it in Performance mode. Is that what you would do?

Thanks again!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

MusicAnne wrote:Thank you so much, PauloF. I will get one. There are also Favourites up and down, which would also work! Yay!

One question: I started inputting Performances yesterday (which is why I am so pleased your reply is so relevant), which were automatic for Split or Layered sounds. When I wanted a single sound, it reverted to Patch mode, so I pretended it was Layered, to keep it in Performance mode. Is that what you would do?

Thanks again!
Absolutely.

In my case (if I had a Juno DS, of course), I would have the lower part of the keyboard (C1 to B2) always configured for a Bass Part, as I Play Bass with my left hand while playing Chords/Solo with my right hand as default.
MusicAnne

Post by MusicAnne »

Thanks PauloF, good idea, I'll do that.
pgreco

Post by pgreco »

This worked for me as well - tremendously helpful suggestion!

One problem I encountered was that if you must step through the presets in one direction only, you end up with a bunch of duplicates, and the number of required performances for the entire show ended up exceeding the available slots (128).

I solved this by splitting the performances into Act I and Act II (the PC software was very helpful for doing that), and saving each to a USB drive.

I "restored" Act I before the show, then "restore' Act II during intermission. It does require you to turn the power off and back on again after each restore, but the whole process is very fast (under 1 minute). The speed may depend on the speed of your USB drive.

Not sure why this is so much faster than backing up to a PC via USB cable.