Studio Set / Song-Patch Sharing

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Jdoo

Re: Studio Set / Song-Patch Sharing

Post by Jdoo »

This is Michael Jackson’s ’79 (almost 80s) She’s Out Of My Life.

Notes on this Studio Set. It's a fairly generic set of sounds, as the song if pretty simple. ePiano and Strings. These are layered across the keyboard. I used this Studio Set for a couple of other slow songs.. with ePiano / Strings.

Please do not post/distribute off this site without permission.

The zip here is called 80SOTLF1.zip and contains a backup with the single FA Studio Set "80sOutOfMyLife.SVD". Unzip it first, copy to your SD card - then like the others.. do a backup first, then follow the Roland guide for "Import Studio Set/Tone". This will add this Studio Set to whatever else you have on your FA, without clobbering anything (if you select an empty spot to drop it).

Joe
80SOTLF1.zip
(25.38 KiB) Downloaded 1358 times
PS. posted a list on the Facebook page, along with this crappy demo of me banging out a minute of Toto's Africa. Was inspired by something I saw on Synthtopia. I may stop posting FA Patches for a bit and put together a real demo, just to show how I use these Studio Sets.
http://joedoolittle.com/myfiles/africas.mov
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

This is Eurythmics’ ’83 Sweet Dreams.

Notes on this Studio Set. This another pretty simple layered keys Studio Set. There is healthy delay applied to all four layers. If you mess with loading the Axial libraries (highly recommend) - you might want to download and install EXP-02 Keys Collection. There are a few notable tones that play very well with this Studio Set. Especially “0256 Dream Saw”. I didn’t add it here, because I’ve tried to not force external sets onto these.. but in this case, thought EXP-02 worth the mention. BTW - there is a boatload of great keys on the collection.. highly recommend exploring it

The zip here is called 80sSweet.zip and contains a backup with the single FA Studio Set "80sSweetDreams.SVD". Unzip it first, copy to your SD card - then like the others.. do a backup first, then follow the Roland guide for "Import Studio Set/Tone". This will add this Studio Set to whatever else you have on your FA, without clobbering anything (if you select an empty spot to drop it).
80sSweet.zip
(25.59 KiB) Downloaded 808 times
Joe
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

This is the keys to the Vangelis ’ ’81 Theme of the movie Chariots Of Fire.

Notes on this Studio Set. There is a somewhat muted echo bass on this, which can be cranked higher.. (I just like it muted) :) . The top half of the keyboard is layered pianos, pads and 80’s style strings. The bottom portion is the bass, and a one of the (Juno) string parts.

The zip here is called 80sCHAR1.zip and contains a backup with the single FA Studio Set "80sChariotsOFire.SVD". Unzip it first, copy to your SD card - then like the others.. do a backup first, then follow the Roland guide for "Import Studio Set/Tone". This will add this Studio Set to whatever else you have on your FA, without clobbering anything (if you select an empty spot to drop it).

Enjoy,
80sCHAR1.zip
(25.51 KiB) Downloaded 732 times
Joe ( comments...suggestions welcome )
cello

Post by cello »

Great that you're sharing all of these popular sounds Jdoo! Many thanks :)

We can get these up onto JP-80.com soon (don't need to wait for a redesign for that)
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

cello wrote:Great that you're sharing all of these popular sounds Jdoo! Many thanks :)

We can get these up onto JP-80.com soon (don't need to wait for a redesign for that)
Thanks Cello -

Joe
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

This zip has a Studio Set with the keyboard sounds for Asia's '82 Only Time Will Tell.

The top octave is set aside for the lead, with the bottom keys layered ePianos and other keys. I spread the splits and layers across two keyboards, but for this set - crammed everything into the FA-06 5 octaves. It's tight, but works. This is a good Studio Set/Song, to select Pad Utility, and set Pad Mode to 7 KBD SW. This will allow you to turn off/on the synth strings at the break. Actually… every one of the posted Studio Sets, makes use of the Keyboard Switch, for turning on/off the parts. They don’t all need you to enable/disable parts… but this one does.

The zip here is called 80sTIMEWT1.zip and contains a backup with the single FA Studio Set "80sOnlyTime1.SVD". Unzip it first, copy to your SD card - then like the others.. do a backup first, then follow the Roland guide for "Import Studio Set/Tone". This will add this Studio Set to whatever else you have on your FA, without clobbering anything (if you select an empty spot to drop it).
80sTIMEWT1.zip
(25.56 KiB) Downloaded 1275 times
Enjoy,

Joe ( comments...suggestions welcome )
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

This is the keys for Madonna’s ’84 - Like A Virgin. Layered Brass (top of spit) and Synth Bass/Brass (lower) make up this Studio Set.

Note: This layer/split/tone combination works for other songs. It easily does double-duty for Matthew Wilder’s “Break My Stride” without change.

The zip here is called 80sVIRGN1.zip and contains a backup with the single FA Studio Set "80sLikeAVirgin.SVD". Unzip it first, copy to your SD card - then like the others.. do a backup first, then follow the Roland guide for "Import Studio Set/Tone". This will add this Studio Set to whatever else you have on your FA, without clobbering anything (if you select an empty spot to drop it).

Enjoy,

Joe
80sVIRGN1.zip
(25.46 KiB) Downloaded 1278 times
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Cello has hosted the backup with the Studio Sets. Follow the FA-06/08 link on this page: http://www.jp-80.com . Many thanks to Cello for getting these hosted!

Joe
cello

Post by cello »

Happy to support, Jdoo :)

ALL - It would be great if anyone who downloads and uses these sounds leaves feedback/comments/thoughts in this thread as I know Jdoo wants to make the sounds the best they can be - feedback helps enormously; thanks!
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Great job, Jdoo and Cello.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

bennyseven wrote:Great job, Jdoo and Cello.
I learned a lot from looking at your Studio Sets. Thanks bennyseven for sharing.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

I picked up Roland’s JD-XA, and have been spending time trying to learn it, and have begun constructing Programs (Studio Set equivalents). I created a Subdivisions patch, and it occurred to me, that I should be able to easily replicate it for the FA. The FA version is attached to the zip below. The other Song in this set is Steely Dan's "Hey 19". As with several of these studio sets… these can be re-purposed rather easily for other songs. E.G. The Hey 19 set, i also use for Steely Dan’s Josie. (play a little lighter… add string layer for the chorus).
80s19sub.zip
(25.91 KiB) Downloaded 1242 times

Enjoy... and comments welcome,

Joe
frank123

Post by frank123 »

Hi,

I found several descriptions how to create a tone inspired from "Won't get fooled again" by The Who. So I tried to create one using my FA. Attached you will find a mp3 and a bulk dump created with epostmiba's great tool.

I tried to improve the tone further, but my synth knowledge is limited . The tempo is a little slower (had to play it myself :-) ), this can be fixed with the tempo knob. The sound lacks brilliance, but I am not sure what to do next.

Any comments helping to improve the sound are appreciated.

Thanks

Frank
Attachments
wgfa.zip
(766.23 KiB) Downloaded 644 times
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

Hello everyone! New guy here. Purchased the 08 about a month ago and it sure is fun. You guys are amazing with sharing the knowledge and sounds.
I recently took a stab at creating the "Jump" tone and wound up selecting 844:Saw Lead 33, split it at c4 so I could play the bass without stepping on the high notes. I did a little tweaking in the tone editor and it sounds decent. I will be downloading the patchfrom Cello's site to compare and see how I did. Thanks for all for your contributions and if I can come up with some decent ones I'll post too.

John
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Am too lazy to do this right... so I'm just going to post these. Here is a quick sample of 20 of the studio sets I have shared. I use (too) heavy reverb, and this is riddled with mistakes, and hurried play. It's mostly about sharing an idea of what is on these Studio Sets. This is one-take.. and in retrospect, I should have made a couple of passes.. but these are for live play. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDdhYPs8_CY

I have another 5 or so ready to go. Hoping to get them posted up this week.

Joe