Change Live sets via MIDI remotely help?

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
boomish

Change Live sets via MIDI remotely help?

Post by boomish »

I can't seem to get the RD-800 to change live sets remotely, I want to change sounds durign a show using Logic, but it doesn't seem to respond to program or bank change at all, I've tried ch 16 but nothing, any clues?
Been searching for the last hour or so & can't find out how to get it working.

Got a show tonight and this would be mega helpful if anyone has a simple setup I could follow
sixfootpianist

Re: Change Live sets via MIDI remotely help?

Post by sixfootpianist »

Hi there

Did you ever find a solution? I am having almost exactly the same issue (I'm sending the program and bank change messages from MainStage rather than Logic, but it's basically the same) and it is driving me crazy.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I think you have to send msb and lsb in addition to PC as set out in this post on the RD700.
sixfootpianist

Post by sixfootpianist »

It only seems to work for me when changing tones, but not for changing Live Sets.

I am sending the MIDI messages from Apple MainStage. I can send a message to select an individual tone. For example, if I send a message on channel 1 with MSB 84, LSB 2, PC 84 (numbers detailed in the RD-800 Sound List manual), I hear tone 0340 Slow FullStrings on the RD-800. The display doesn't change to reflect that this is the selected tone (I'm not sure why), but the tone is selected nonetheless.

However, if I try the same process to select a Live Set rather than an individual tone, nothing happens – the display still doesn't change and there is no sound at all. For example, if I want Live Set B-01, the Sound List states I should send MSB 84, LSB 64 and PC 21. I try sending the message on channel 16, and on the RD-800 I have set System->Live Set Control Channel to 16, but still nothing happens.

The RD-800 is connected via USB, I am using the driver downloaded from Roland's website and the USB Driver setting on the RD-800 is set to "Original".

I must be missing something simple, but I don't know what.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I haven't tried it but I see from the link on that thread I shared that you first have to select bank msb 085 and bank lsb 0. Have you done that as well? I know the midi implementation for me requires a lot of trial and error.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Oh, I just checked the patch selection from the RD800 and it does seem that you are using the correct msb and lsb numbers. Hmmm...sorry.
hervshahn

Post by hervshahn »

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone found a solution for changing live sets remotely? I need to do this as well, using the RD800 live in combination with a Motif XF and controlling the setups for each song from the Motif masters. I know the msb, lsb and pc codes from the sound list, but it seems as if the RD800 does not respond to it. Which midi channel do I have to use to transmit the midi data for this, and what else do I have to consider to make it work?

Thanks a lot and kind regards

Georg

Post by 2323232323232323 »

Hi all,

Has anyone figured this out? I've been trying for several hours and find myself stuck in the same place as everyone else in the thread. I just sent an email to Roland.

Thanks!

Post by 2323232323232323 »

As it turns out, you can change live sets remotely by MIDI, I just figured it out! Not sure if the OP of this thread is still wondering, but I feel as though it's worth putting the info out there in case anyone else with the same question stumbles across this thread.

First, on the RD-800 go to the Settings, and look for Live Set Channel. By default I believe it's set to 1-16, or something similar. I had no luck with that setting, but once I changed the channel to 1 (the same MIDI channel I was sending from my DAW), it worked!

Additionally, all the Patch Change numbers in the manual are 1 digit too high. So, if the Sound List states MSB 84, LSB 64, and PC 21, for B-01, you have to enter MSB 84, LSB 64, and PC 20.

Hope this is helpful!
Dean Watson

Post by Dean Watson »

I have my settings set exactly as you have stated above. My DAW is Reaper, I still cannot get this to work. I’m starting to think this is not possible on the RD800.
Burch2001

Post by Burch2001 »

The same issue with Roland RD-700NX and Logic Pro X. Still no solution. I looked into all threads here and elsewhere. Nothing helps. Unable not just to change Live sets but Tones to boot. Any help is welcomed.