the next AX keytar

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
sixfeetunder

the next AX keytar

Post by sixfeetunder »

If you're listening, Roland manufacturer...
Take what you've learned on the previous models, what works, what doesn't, what people like:
a) 4 octaves minimum, 5 would bring the instrument respect, anything less puts it in "novelty" or "toy" or "right hand solo only" category.
b) use more keyboard/synth sounds onboard and fewer guitar sounds. most of us have guitar players in our bands, and guitar sounds from a keytar are rarely as good as the real thing. The world is full of eager guitar players.
c) like on the Lucina, put the controls in front of the music keys, its faster and easier to see.
d) should look more like AX-Synth and less like Lucina. The "handle" on Lucina is just an ugly design. move the pitch bender out on a neck.
e) tilt the keys slightly toward the user, so we don't have to lean over when looking for a note. let us stay upright and cool.
f) when you do the above, the body becomes slightly wedge shape with the fat side toward the floor. stuff all the guts under there to minimize the width from front to back of keys. skinny keytars always look cooler, fat keytars look like something hung around your neck as an afterthought.
g) put real strap locks on it. many of us have launched our keyboards during our on-stage moves.
h) Don't let another manufacturer steal your lead in Keytars. Bring this to market ASAP.

I have my wallet open for this next great Roland keytar....
gerry535

Re: the next AX keytar

Post by gerry535 »

I totally agreed!
Roland please make it happen!
sixfeetunder

Post by sixfeetunder »

Looking at Roland release history (Junos, Fantoms, Jupiters...), Models seem to get a refresh every 3 to 7 years. Does this mean a new AX Keytar by 2017?
sixfeetunder

Post by sixfeetunder »

They could even trim off 4 lbs, and one octave from the JunoDS 61, and re-package that as the next keytar...
Come on, Roland. It can't be that difficult... :-)
sixfeetunder

Post by sixfeetunder »

Well, we got some good synth engine and control improvements with the AX-Edge. But Roland still fell short on designing an ergonomic and comfortable keyboard. Someday, when its well depreciated, i may cut mine up and rebuild it the way I envision it.
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

All I want right now is something Roland can deliver without changing a bit of firmware or hardware: A PC-based editor for the AX-Edge. By far its weakest point.
sixfeetunder

Post by sixfeetunder »

Yes, I'm pleased to see that the AX-EDGE accomplished items a, b, d, e, and f from my list above. Thank You Roland!
sixfeetunder

Post by sixfeetunder »

Tom Williams wrote:All I want right now is something Roland can deliver without changing a bit of firmware or hardware: A PC-based editor for the AX-Edge. By far its weakest point.
Tom, did they ever release a PC based editor?
sixfeetunder

Post by sixfeetunder »

sixfeetunder wrote:Well, we got some good synth engine and control improvements with the AX-Edge. But Roland still fell short on designing an ergonomic and comfortable keyboard. Someday, when its well depreciated, i may cut mine up and rebuild it the way I envision it.
Here's my first simple conversion of a keyboard into a keytar by adding strap-posts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7YHznSAEYY
RickyDee

Post by RickyDee »

Just to counter sixfeetunder's request for a bigger, heavier, longer instrument by adding another octave, I'd like to see an easier to handle and carry smaller, lighter, shorter version of the AX with only 39 keys (yes, for right hand only play). If the Korg had full-sized keys, it would have made a great choice for me but it doesn't so it isn't. Your other keyboards have 60, 76, and 88 key versions. Why can't the AX have a 37, 49, and 61 key version? I understand that some of the control layout would need to be altered for the shorter version.