Mac/V Synth issues

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
willo

Mac/V Synth issues

Post by willo »

Hi,

Just hooked up my V2 V Synth to my MBPro, (running 10.10.5) and having some problems.
I have downloaded and installed the MIDI driver (from the Roland site link) and installed it, yet despite going through the manual and repeatedly tried to set up USB as a MIDI connection, I had no luck.

Furthermore, when I'm using Logic Pro X, with a MIDI cable from the V Synth, I can't seem to trigger anything in Logic, and when I play any key on the V Synth, the windows in Logic just flash endlessly...

Confusing.

Any help would be appreciated.

William
danielwolk

Re: Mac/V Synth issues

Post by danielwolk »

Sorry, Drivers works only with OS 10.8 and earler... Roland forgot about V-Synth users. :(
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

danielwolk wrote:Sorry, Drivers works only with OS 10.8 and earler... Roland forgot about V-Synth users. :(
Unfortunately, you will have to run your V-Synth via a separate MIDI/Usb interface and this also applies for the AUDIO interface, as there are no Drivers for it any more.

In fact I had my XT working with 10.9, but as soon as I yosemite my iMac, I lost MIDI and AUDIO.
willo

Post by willo »

ouch!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

willo wrote:ouch!
Yes... unfortunately those are the bad news...

The good news are that MIDI wise, a MIDI to USB interface that does not require specialized drivers needs to be used for you to be able to connect your V2 to Logic X running under Yosemite. In fact that will be the best to do as it will be independent from the Operating System.

I'm having a big moment of truth as I can't upgrade my Mac Mini to 10.11, as there are no Drivers for the UM-550 MIDI patcher that for me is a MUST to interconnect all my devices...
dysamoria

Post by dysamoria »

PauloF wrote:

The good news are that MIDI wise, a MIDI to USB interface that does not require specialized drivers needs to be used for you to be able to connect your V2 to Logic X running under Yosemite. In fact that will be the best to do as it will be independent from the Operating System.

I'm having a big moment of truth as I can't upgrade my Mac Mini to 10.11, as there are no Drivers for the UM-550 MIDI patcher that for me is a MUST to interconnect all my devices...
My Edirol UM880 supports class compliant drivers in the OS, but first requires the user to set the device to generic mode. Seems the UM550 is the same: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/315040 ... ml?page=49
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

dysamoria wrote:
PauloF wrote:

My Edirol UM880 supports class compliant drivers in the OS, but first requires the user to set the device to generic mode. Seems the UM550 is the same: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/315040 ... ml?page=49
Wow dysamoria!

Those are is the best news today!!

Yes, both UM-880 and 550 can work in Generic Mode so the problem I got should be soved, however let's see how that affects the MIDI processing speed, as I'm using intensive merging, which is very penalizing for performance.

I'll try it and will let you know

Many thanks for the tip
stevo427

Post by stevo427 »

dysamoria wrote:
PauloF wrote:

Do you know where I can get one of these MIDI wise adapters you mention? I could only find a dodgy cheap one on Amazon that lots of people have had problems with polyphony and not sending all data etc.
Thanks!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

stevo427 wrote:
Do you know where I can get one of these MIDI wise adapters you mention? I could only find a dodgy cheap one on Amazon that lots of people have had problems with polyphony and not sending all data etc.
Thanks!
When I referred to MIDI wise, I should have written... MIDIWise, meaning ref to MIDI... sorry for the English jargon.

This is also something that I'm looking after, as my UM-550 has not enough ports for the Synths I have and all the variations/merging I need to do.
Of course I can do all that with the computer but I prefer to do it with hardware only, and not to be dependent on the computer to connect and merge all MIDI in my rig.
dysamoria

Post by dysamoria »

PauloF wrote:
stevo427 wrote:
Thanks!
When I referred to MIDI wise, I should have written... MIDIWise, meaning ref to MIDI... sorry for the English jargon.

This is also something that I'm looking after, as my UM-550 has not enough ports for the Synths I have and all the variations/merging I need to do.
Of course I can do all that with the computer but I prefer to do it with hardware only, and not to be dependent on the computer to connect and merge all MIDI in my rig.
Sorry for not replying months ago. i don't come here often. Only when i need help ;-)

There are a lot of Class Compliant MIDI to USB cable/adapters out there these days. The easiest way to make sure a MIDI to USB adapter will work is to look for adapters for iOS devices (iPad/iPhone) since those require Class Compliance to work.

Example from Roland: https://www.roland.com/us/products/um-one_mk2/
jazzyjoepass

Post by jazzyjoepass »

Hacked the USB driver to work on Mac OSX 10.12.4 Sierra. Audio and Midi works now !!!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=54366