Roland 909 day new products

Talk about anything here
richardbates1

Re: Roland 909 day new products

Post by richardbates1 »

Yea, I am not really into workstations, so I am not waiting for any new one coming out nor do I care.
I like where Roland is going right now, I really love the JDXA , for me it is a sound designers dream (it could use a more expanded sequencer) but that's just me.
I still love the Jupiter 80 and love the sound of the JP08, so for me I excited about what Roland will come out with next!
Once again don't really care if Roland comes out with a new super duper workstation.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

kday wrote:
Devnor wrote:
kday wrote: I think people here have a long history of Roland re-hashing the Accordion, Digital Piano, low budget synths, Drum Pads, Guitar Tuners and big useless website countdowns long enough to know to not get too excited about new Roland product announcements. After the Fantom X, it all went downhill for Roland consumers.
See, you are already whining. All downhill for Roland customers? Not this customer and I'm not alone in that thinking. I'm actually excited. I'm looking for another synth and I'd rather not pay $4000.00.
If that's the case most everybody have whined. Roland have made a bunch of shitty products since the Fantom X. I hope Roland make some new great products too, and I'm waiting eagerly to support them. But from pass history of Roland dealings, and having bought their expensive VS-700 system with audio interface and console, and then a few years after buying this expensive set of equipment they wouldn't even update the drivers to work with windows 10.

So from those perspectives I considered Roland a shitty company that only made more shitty products since the Fantom X. With the exception of the Roland VS-700, which was a great product, but they abandoning it only after a few years made many many customers including myself give Roland the middle finger.

I have a Kronos and a Motif, and was hoping they would at least pick up from the Fantom X/G in their synth dept, or again they may get your money, but not mine until they make something worth buying to me. If they build a useful product to me, I'll buy it. if not, then that's you are here for.

I don't think you are being fair bashing all Roland products after Fantom X, but that is your opinion and I'll respect that, however don't agree at all.

All depends in what you are looking for/need and perspective...

I think that Kronos is maybe the last "workstation" that we would see in the music market, as the industry tendencies are going other way. Some examples:
- Roland's last workstation was the Fantom G (FA-06/08 are not really workstations but more performance synths with some workstation features)
- Yamaha's last "workstation" was the Motif XF, as the Montage is a Performance Synth

There were days that I was looking for a mighty workstation that could do it all and then I bought one that I could afford - a Fantom X's little brother (Fantom Xa), not so powerful as the big brother, but nevertheless enough power for me together with an old RD-170 Piano and a SonicCell.
After many selling selling selling / and (some) buying activity over the years, I ended up trying other approaches, like having synths from different Brands (Roland, Yamaha, Novation, Arturia) and a decent Multi-Input Audio interface and DAW, and I can tell you that I'm not expecting to buy a workstation that can-do-it-all again even if that will exist in the future (and besides that they never do-it-all anyway...)

Cheers,
PauloF
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

"Shitty" products since Fantom X, let's see.....

MV-8800
V-Piano
Jupiter-80
Integra-7
Whole AIRA line
System 500
RD-800
JD-XA
.... in about 11 years.

Before that, including 1997 it was:
XP-80
JP-8000
XV-5080
Handsonic HPD-15 (oh yeah, let's not mention the whole V-Drum line, ahem....)
MC-909
V-Synth

.... in about 6 years.

Yeah, a whole lotta crap there, huh.

Roland has released, and continues to release, music-defining instruments. Let's not even go to the top end of their piano line-up, or organ line-up, which along with V-Drum are whole other lines of amazing craftsmanship.

Guess they're not all built with CEM chips and cast iron cases so, crap, right? :)
TheSlopingCompanion

Post by TheSlopingCompanion »

A new sampler!!!! Fingers crossed...
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

I'd like to see a new RACK mount guitar synth (à la GR-50) with current FULL synth caps (à la Integra7) and fully "super"multitimbral:

16 externally MIDI controlled parts AND 16 "internal' (the six string hex PUP input which allows for each string to control 2 parts/patches - with 4 left over!) and 256 voice polyphony (if doubling from 16 to 32 parts may as well double polyphony)

(not just two parts + drums for external inputs plus the six inputs from hex PUP like GR-50)

You'd think a guitar player would want floor controls, I DO - but their units are TOO LARGE so I want the SYNTH itself in a rack, and I will use my EXISTING and MUCH SMALLER MIDI foot contollers and GK controls to run it.

and since I'm dreaming: what kind of "synth" do I want my guitar to drive: at LEAST I7 like (PCM & SN but with FM, VA, and physical modeling added - like the under appreciated and now defunct Alesis Fusion) with SAMPLING (a la XV-5080 and Fusion - so we can use our own material)

But since WHATEVER Roland is announcing in September is already in the works and/or in manufacturing - it's too late to whine about whatever it is they do, or do not have.

The time to influence THESE products, this go around, has passed
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

On Gearslutz this pic is shown of a supposed System-8.
System-8.jpg
System-8.jpg (74.14 KiB) Viewed 4161 times
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

New images of the System 8 and other leaked product images, taken from MATRIXSYNTH

Rumored price $1,499.00 for the system 8, it will be interesting what plug-outs they make for the System 8?

System 8
System8-xlarge.jpg
System8-xlarge.jpg (134.85 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
System8_2.jpg
System8_2.jpg (130.62 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
VP-03 Vocoder
vocoder.jpg
vocoder.jpg (125.52 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
TR09
TR09.jpg
TR09.jpg (139.43 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Found this image over at Synthtopia

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Jupiter 8 plug-out for the System 8. Arturia have changed the look of their Jupiter 8 softsynth, (it looks a bit like a Juno 106 colour-wise, but with the JP8 layout) and have called it the "Jup-8" now, maybe because Roland have their own one in the pipeline....

That System 8 looks a beast though, reminds me of a JP-8000 a bit.
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

I like the System-8. Looks so much like the JP-8000 I possesed. But since the Deepmind 12 comes out this year I wonder if this is just not enough from Roland. 16 voices should be minimum for that price tag.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Very interesting products. The System-8 controller looks amazing, but again I have two reservations - 4-octave keyboard and USB drivers non-compliant so I'd worry about loading plugouts once Roland drops driver support.

The VP03 looks fabulous - it will be very interesting to see what job they have done emulating the strings and Human Chorus sound on this, both of which are iconic of course. Another question here concerns polyphony - the VP330 is based on divide down technology so although only one drive circuit exists, you still got 48 note polyphony - so the question is - will this be a 4 note poly, or a 48 note poly divide down emulation. Of course the VP330's Chorus was equally iconic - so over all this will be a real test of Roland's new VA technology (whihc to date has been very strong in terms of the 'sound emulations' of past classics.).
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

System 8 looks very interesting and it's affordable. Friday won't come soon enough!
cello

Post by cello »

timbo4000 wrote:Perhaps roland leaked info on the system 8 and the new boutiques to take attention away from something even more spectacular. roll on Fri.
The self same thought occurred to me too...
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

No..please!
The year gets expensive enough as it is. ;-)
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

If Roland comes out with a Jupiter8 plugin/plugout on the same caliber as the JP08,
I might sell my 2 JP08s and buy the System8 then load in the plug-in? Not needing my JP08's?

Will Roland come out with a quality Jupiter8 plugin?????? I hope.
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

i just want to see one thing on 9.9:

a proper OS for the JD-XA to make it useable live and standalone
(transpose, pattern switching without stopping, choose different midi CNTRL settings per patch,
longer max. bars, individual track length)

instead of 30 new products (also with unfinished OS?)