Not detected in Yosemite

Forum for SH-201
Adrian7724

Not detected in Yosemite

Post by Adrian7724 »

So I think this synth wasn't supported in 10.9 either, but the 10.8 driver worked, however now after upgrading to Yosemite it is no longer detected.

Do I have any alternatives to make this work? Some sort of USB bridge device that is supported by Yosemite that I can hook the keyboard to?

I really need this keyboard to work in the Editor so I hope there is some sort of alternative out there.

Thanks!!
-Adrian
DaniH

Re: Not detected in Yosemite

Post by DaniH »

Why not just use a midi to USB adapter?? The editor will still pick up on it and the vst as well.
DaniH

Post by DaniH »

Just hook up the sh-201 with traditional midi hook ups to the USB to midi adapter. Or are you talking about the editor not working with Yosemite??
Adrian7724

Post by Adrian7724 »

No yeah didn't know, its my friends keyboard so wasn't sure what our options are... ok I'll let him know.

Editor seems to run fine in Yosemite.
Jackypants92

Post by Jackypants92 »

I'm having a similar problem.

I want to use my synth as a midi controller/keyboard in Logic X but a signal isn't being registered.

Looked online for a driver comparable with Yosemite but there doesn't seem to be one yet.
PrestoColumbus

Post by PrestoColumbus »

Same problem here. I'm running MAC OS X 10.10.1. I downloaded the driver it seemed to install ok. Rebooted and installed the Editor. At the end of installation I see an install error "run post flight for SH-201 script". The Editor shows up in the Launcher, but when I run it, it doesn't see the synth attached.

Here is the doc "Compatibility with OS X Yosemite (10.10)". I don't even see the SH-201 listed in the doc, unless my old eyes just missed it.
http://www.roland.com/support/article/? ... d=63195833
fiyarburst

Post by fiyarburst »

I emailed support about this. Their response:
The last version of OSX supported by a driver for the SH-201 was 10.8 (Mountain Lion). No further drivers have been developed for this model.

If you need to use the SH-201 with a newer version of OSX (such as Yosemite), you will need to connect using a separate MIDI or Audio/MIDI interface. This will provide the same functionality as the direct USB connection. Here are links to two interfaces from Roland that would work well for this application:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/um-one_mk2/ (MIDI)

http://www.rolandus.com/products/duo-capture_ex/ (Audio and MIDI)

Best Regards,

Product Support
Roland Corp. U.S.
I take it that we can guess that to mean that no further device drivers are currently planned for this synth either. FWIW, it still works through as an audio + midi device in Windows virtual machines (so, if you wanted to Boot Camp + VMWare or parallels, then you could use it as an audio device. not very useful for much else).
swwan

Post by swwan »

ok, guys, hello from Russian. Sorry for my bad English. I installed sh-201 10.8 driver on yosemite os x 10.10. In Yosemite apple made check old, modify, and etc *kext. Signature of driver for 10.8 os x - is too old, and thats problem. This code put in terminal :

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :'Kernel Flags' 'kext-dev-mode=1'" /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist 
Now download sh-201 driver for 10.8 os x, and install with Pacifist (search google) free program may unzip 10.8 os x driver and install it)

reboot and sh-201 works fine with yosemite, midi and audio works.

Ps: i think after update, story repeat.
soundtekoma

Post by soundtekoma »

swwan you are a genius! Thankyou so much.

спасибо!! (google translated thankyou in Russian.... lol)

+1 solved. Back to work!!
bronk4

Post by bronk4 »

swwan wrote:ok, guys, hello from Russian. Sorry for my bad English. I installed sh-201 10.8 driver on yosemite os x 10.10. In Yosemite apple made check old, modify, and etc *kext. Signature of driver for 10.8 os x - is too old, and thats problem. This code put in terminal :

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :'Kernel Flags' 'kext-dev-mode=1'" /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist 
Swwan, thanks for the support! Any chance something like this would work with JUNO-Stage's OS X 10.8 driver? The issue I have here is that the drivers won't even install due to not being compatible with my OS. I'm running 10.11.1 on a MacBook Pro here.
mdj2

Post by mdj2 »

After upgrading to El Capitan procedure is different, first cmd-R boot than you need to open terminal and enter this command "csrutil disable". After that restart and install driver with Pacifist.
Soyalee

Post by Soyalee »

thx mdj2, the soundcard works, but the Midi Setup via USB still not works in my setup. It only works via DIN connectors.

Maybe you know also how to deal with sh201- AU or VSTi ? I use El Capitan and my Daw (ableton live) can't detect them in the plugins folder , although they are all there. I tried plugins conversion (32bit - 64 bit) but it also didn't help.

I'm reminding myself that on Yosemite I was using sh201 AU plugin for sure. The thing is that the sh201 arpeggiator is always out of sync in Daw when using without the AU or Vsti.