Windows 10: How I got Fantom X USB Drivers to work...

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
bluesplayer

Re: Windows 10: How I got Fantom X USB Drivers to work...

Post by bluesplayer »

Credo wrote:OK, I took a closer look and here is everything in the dirverstore that Windows eventually accepted here.
rdif1045.inf_amd64_99fd7609b1056ea0.zip
Note, this is on a Windows 10 64bit installation...

In the archive above, you can see the exact rdif1045.inf file that Windows finally took for me.

Boot into the mode that allows unsigned drivers to be installed.

Unzip the package above and try installing the drivers from there with the "Windows Device Manager".

Here is my site of reference: http://superuser.com/questions/262012/h ... stallation
Thanks Credo
that "got 'er done"
MountainSide

Post by MountainSide »

You guys are great! Its because of guys like you that we are able to keep alive great hardware synths like the Fantom XR. Credo's procedure worked great...but you have to be really careful and read the topic he posts at the top about changing how Win 10 handles driver signing. Without following this step carefully, I spent hours trying to get my XR to run in USB mode. After I went back and followed each of his steps and the all important first step about installing unsigned drivers in Win 10 everything worked out great...and in less than 10 minutes...I really need to work on my reading and comprehension a bit!

By the way, my system worked great until last night when Microsoft decided to push an unwanted Win 10 update down my throat! Reset everything back to default Win 10 options, including this all important Fantom XR driver.

Mountainside
Credo

Post by Credo »

MountainSide wrote:You guys are great! Its because of guys like you that we are able to keep alive great hardware synths like the Fantom XR. Credo's procedure worked great...but you have to be really careful and read the topic he posts at the top about changing how Win 10 handles driver signing. Without following this step carefully, I spent hours trying to get my XR to run in USB mode. After I went back and followed each of his steps and the all important first step about installing unsigned drivers in Win 10 everything worked out great...and in less than 10 minutes...I really need to work on my reading and comprehension a bit!

By the way, my system worked great until last night when Microsoft decided to push an unwanted Win 10 update down my throat! Reset everything back to default Win 10 options, including this all important Fantom XR driver.

Mountainside
Same here. Some forced update wiped out a bunch of drivers for me! It also forced all my custom default apps to the the Edge browser, and blew away a year's worth of tweaking and optimizations! It restarted all the stupid cloud services that I went to great lengths to DISABLE for a reason :(

My nice lean 250meg in 20 seconds boot is now back up to 4 gig 10 minute boot process....and now my darn screen blacks out at random times, cpu spikes all over the place, etc. What a bloody mess!

I was able to reinstall the Fantom X drivers by simply downloading my driverstore zip earlier in this thread, and booting windows in Advanced mode (7. Allow unsigned drivers).

What ever gave Microsoft the idea to remove drivers during an 'update' without at least ASKING if you want to do this? So WRONG Microsoft!

The Fantom is working again, but I still have to reinstall all my elicencer stuff! This last Windows 10 update broke all my Dongleware! So....I can't run 80% of my DAW setup without spending all day redoing all this mess. Sigh....
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Please don't take offense, but I don't understand the need to run at the 'bleeding edge' when you have music to write and perform.

Can't you turn off automatic updates in Win10?

After spending so much time getting Win7 64 to run well I am loathed to update when I see the constant stream of problems others are having.
I know a new PC comes with this thing installed, but it shouldn't take much to drop it back to an older version and turn off the updates.
It seems that over the past 35 years as the PC speeds up, MS does their best to slow it down.
Have you ever run one of the better older Win versions on a modern fast computer? It works pretty well.

I swore I wouldn't ever waste so much time on an OS again unless there is a good reason.
Is there an advantage that I don't understand?

All the best
Royce
Credo

Post by Credo »

rcraven wrote:Please don't take offense, but I don't understand the need to run at the 'bleeding edge' when you have music to write and perform.

Can't you turn off automatic updates in Win10?

After spending so much time getting Win7 64 to run well I am loathed to update when I see the constant stream of problems others are having.
I know a new PC comes with this thing installed, but it shouldn't take much to drop it back to an older version and turn off the updates.
It seems that over the past 35 years as the PC speeds up, MS does their best to slow it down.
Have you ever run one of the better older Win versions on a modern fast computer? It works pretty well.

I swore I wouldn't ever waste so much time on an OS again unless there is a good reason.
Is there an advantage that I don't understand?

All the best
Royce
Been using Windows since 3.1, and I've NEVER endured an 'update' this 'intrusive'. In the past we always got information on updates before implementing them, and had control over when and if they got applied. One could easily lock down or delay updates. We could read what was coming down the pipe-line and 'prepare' for whatever changes might be in order. We could easily make and maintain multiple system drive images in case one needed to 'roll back' a week or so to avoid missing a work deadline. In the past, MS also did a much better job of 'importing' user settings from previous versions (or at least letting us know up front what might need to be 'redone' manually before accepting the update). We did NOT get any of this for this so called 'Anniversary' update. It simply went out and got whatever it needed in the background, and decided to install it on its own...at Microsoft's soul discretion.

With the 'Home' version...user control of updates doesn't seem to be an option any longer (at least not by default, without sordid and undocumented registry hacks, or potentially dangerous undocumented suspension of OS services)! Things were working fine on last Friday. This Monday morning I turned on the PC, and it went through an hour long grinding and rebooting process that just took over and pretty much did a fresh Windows installation that wiped drivers, system and network settings, and the list goes on! Even had I rolled back to an earlier image of Windows 10 via Dual Booting...it would have also begun to 'update itself'...thus corrupting my 'backup system drive image'.

Windows 10 Home edition doesn't have many advanced switches for getting control of the update process. Things may be a little different for the Professional version. In the past we didn't need the Pro version for an isolated DAW workstation in a home studio. I suppose things are different now.

I've Windows 10 Home here. I tried the free upgrade from Windows 7 for months on a fresh disk and things went really well! While there were a few things I missed from Windows 7, Windows 10 was more efficient and offered enough changes to the desktop to make me want to keep it (very nice multiple desktop management). Just when I was really getting comfortable with it, and had gained a pretty solid 'trust' in MS to manage it's update system (up to this point small updates had been coming in monthly, and they were always 'security patches' for the better [Fortunately I have AMD graphics so I didn't suffer the problem of broken NVIDIA drivers that kept being forced on folks with multiple screens]) this happened. I'm sure the updates are for the better in the long run, and once I reinstall every app, and get 'my settings' back in order performance and security will most likely be much better. Yes, I do still have a Windows 7 image, but it's at least a year old now (hasn't been used in all this time)....that old Windows 7 image goes way back to Cubase 7, Finale 2012, Sibelius 7.5, etc. I probably would not be able to open the projects I need NOW on it even if I tried.

I'm just a bit upset that I couldn't control and prepare for it all! It was jammed down my throat at a very inconvenient time! It took down system drivers without asking me! It overwrote network and firewall settings without asking me! It broke the registration process of nearly every Music app I have (especially those that use a hardware dongle)!
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

That's appalling.
It broke all your installations-
Did you post something to MS?
Any response?

They are bragging that 10 has had the biggest uptake of all the versions on Windows, but forgot to mention it was forced on most people.
I had to take over my brother's laptop in Perth (I'm in Melbourne) running Win7 as it was forcing an upgrade from Win7.

What is it with all these giant companies that they want to completely contol our lives.
I think I'll stay with 7 and flip over to Linux when I need multiple desktops.

Hope you can get it under control.

All the best
Royce
Credo

Post by Credo »

rcraven wrote:That's appalling.
It broke all your installations-
Did you post something to MS?
Any response?

They are bragging that 10 has had the biggest uptake of all the versions on Windows, but forgot to mention it was forced on most people.
I had to take over my brother's laptop in Perth (I'm in Melbourne) running Win7 as it was forcing an upgrade from Win7.

What is it with all these giant companies that they want to completely contol our lives.
I think I'll stay with 7 and flip over to Linux when I need multiple desktops.

Hope you can get it under control.

All the best
Royce
The main thing I miss from Windows 7 is support for the old 'Stereo Mixer' for my onboard audio. My motherboard is pretty old, and while the audio chip-set on it does have some reference drivers for Windows 10...they no longer support that aggregated mixer portion of the audio matrix. It's not a deal breaker since my more pro level audio cards have multiple options for Mixing/Monitoring and easily take up the slack.

I loathed Windows 8 and 8.1. I used it on a few systems but avoided putting it on my DAW machine. Windows 8/8.1 were OK for a rig that's built around a touch interface, but down right horrible for a nice desk-top with high resolution monitors. Windows 10 got it right in terms of marrying the best of both worlds (touch screens, and high resolution desk-tops with pointing devices).

Other than losing the 'Stereo Mixer' on my cheap audio chipset, having to hack in a few drivers (such as this Fantom X thing) and this one particular 'Anniversary Update', I've had no problems. I've really found plenty to like about Windows 10. Namely the multiple desktop support.

I've read some complaints similar to my own over this particular update.....

I suppose I need to put things in perspective....
Windows 10 Home is really inexpensive compared to what XP, Vista, and Windows 7 Home sold for back during their prime. The 'Professional' version is priced about where 'XP/VISTA/7 Home' used to be, so I guess I should just spring for the 'Professional Version' or get used to the possibility of this sort of 'pushed update' happening again someday.

My understanding is that the Professional variant provides more options to analyze/control/rollback updates. I could gripe to Microsoft, but I'd imagine they'll just tell me to 'Buy the Professional version'.
Steve5000

Post by Steve5000 »

Just as an additional data point, I used the steps outlined by mpcrabtree in his Oct 2015 post which summarized some of the guidance provided by Credo. I installed on Windows 10 on a Lenovo T460 laptop with my Fantom X7 and it worked perfectly. The only part I wasn't clear on is whether I can switch the OS back to checking for unsigned drivers now that I've installed this one (i.e. does Windows 10 re-check whether drivers are unsigned when for example you reboot).

Thanks to Credo, mpcrabtree and others on this thread for their help!! As an aside, I play in two different cover bands - one doing a combination of 80's/90's/00's dance tunes and one that's a David Bowie tribute band. The PC card reader on my X7 is no longer functional for some reason so the only way I can store and load the performance sets I need is using the Fantom Librarian.
Steve5000

Post by Steve5000 »

I should also mention that I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise on a work-provided laptop (hope my employer doesn't spend time on this forum :-) I'm hoping I won't run into issues when our IT department pushes upgrades, etc.
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

Shout out to Credo! Thanks Man! Also mpcrabtree you laid it out in a clear way to follow.

Finally got it working after over a year, at first I was to frustrated to make it work, but finally got the patience.

Bout to make a beat!
simon@stenners.co.uk

Post by simon@stenners.co.uk »

Hi everyone. I've just upgraded my PC and installed Windows 10 and had the same issue as everyone else trying to install the Fantom X midi driver. The solution I found is at this link:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2aSb4q2Kvw

On the link page is another link to the Roland driver patch that is referred to in the video:-

https://mega.nz/#!YNMBGIrT!hPDxGRQ6-VoS ... vqsFBrko0M

Key points for me:
Booting up into the 'unsigned drivers allowed' mode is fine if you follow the instructions, but if you restart (e.g. having to uninstall the Roland driver after a failed attempt) then you must set the unsigned drivers mode all over again at each reboot.
The patch worked for me on the Roland windows 8 drivers for the Fantom X called "fanx_win8d_v100.zip"
After patching, run the Roland installer (setup.exe) then turn on the Fantom and cconnect is, and hey presto!
Smiffy99

Post by Smiffy99 »

I've also finally got around to upgrading to Windows 10 and, without this thread I would be removing what little hair I have left. Many thanks to all posters but especially to Credo. Without you my Fantom would be appearing on Ebay just about now.
chuck1212

Post by chuck1212 »

This worked for me for my Fantom XR -Win10 Pro 64bit- thanks to Credo for the modified driver files!

Definitely will only work by booting into unsigned drivers test mode on Win10.
Seanzilla

Post by Seanzilla »

I couldn't get the driver to work per the O.P., but I did try this method which seemed to work for me. Hope it helps someone out there!

Setting up Roland Fantom-XR in Windows 10
• First, download the Roland XR driver from Roland’s website – Select: “Windows 7 64-bit”
• Once downloaded, click “Extract All” in a directory on your computer.
• Using NOTEPAD, open the file “RDIF1045.INF”
• Overwrite existing and insert the following under [Manufacturer] at start of Roland.NTamd64.6.1

(you can copy and paste this)

[Roland.NTamd64.6.1]
;; Windows7
%RDID0045DeviceDesc%=RDID0045Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_006D ; FANTOM-X

[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]
;; Windows8

[Roland.NTamd64.6.3]
;; Windows8.1

[Roland.NTamd64.6.4]
;; Windows10

• Once edited, click “Save” and exit Notepad. Now we have to get it to run.
• Plug in the USB cord from the Roland XR unit, making sure the unit is set to “USB MODE – MIDI” under “System USB” in Settings.
• Windows 10 should recognize the unit, and then give a message that it has been installed
(but it hasn’t, really).
***NOW – WE HAVE TO RESET THE COMPUTER TO ACCEPT THE DRIVER***
• In Windows Search, type: "Reset This PC" and click on the icon.
• Under “Advanced Startup” click the “Restart Now” button.
• The next screen will say “Choose and Option.”
• Select “Troubleshoot,” then…
• Select “Advanced Options,” then…
• Select “Startup Settings,” then…
• Click the RESTART box.
It will then take you to a blue screen that says “Startup Settings.” There will be a list of various features. Look for the one that says “Disable Driver Signature Enforcement.” This should be #7. To select that, press the “F7” button at the top of your keyboard. The computer will now restart. [Sign-in as usual.]

• Now, RIGHT-CLICK on the Windows Button in the LEFT lower task bar and select “Device Manager.”
• You will see the “FANTOM-X” device under your “Sound, video and game controllers.” It will have a little yellow warning triangle on it.
• Right-click on “FANTOM-X,” and select “Update Driver.”
• Select “Browse my computer for driver software,” and go to the file folder with RDIF1045.INF that you previously worked on. Make sure the “search subfolders” box is ticked.
• Click “Next.”
• A red warning box will pop up saying the device driver is “unsigned.” This is okay, and click next to proceed.
• The device driver should install at this point. Once it has, reboot your computer. You should be good to go!!
DrChelliah

Post by DrChelliah »

I followed Credo's original method and I was able to get Fantom XR driver installed. But I have another problem, perhaps some one who is also running Sonar can help me out with. If I load just one song at a time, there is no problem. But If I create a play list ... even just two songs, Sonar X3 Professional crashes every time. It says something like "run time error" when it crashes. This did not happen when I used an earlier version of Win 10. I kept the internet off to prevent automatic updates but some one accidentally turned on the internet and of course MS automatically updated my Win 10 and even since then, Sonar crashes. Can any one can help me here? I have Sonar X1 running on another Win 7 computer without any problems.