More plug-out synths coming?

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
mangepange

More plug-out synths coming?

Post by mangepange »

Have Roland confirmed that they will make more plug-out synths? Or is the third slot for the existing mono plug-outs?
PauloF

Re: More plug-out synths coming?

Post by PauloF »

mangepange wrote:Have Roland confirmed that they will make more plug-out synths? Or is the third slot for the existing mono plug-outs?
According to Roland the 3rd slot is to be used for the existing plug outs and any new one that they will produce in the future
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

The existing plug-outs are not compatible with the System-8. The only ones we can play with is the System-8 native engine and the Jupiter 8 engine. The Juno-106 engine will hopefully be released in the beginning of 2017.

If you need the SH-2, the SH-101, System 100 or the Promars, you need to use System-1 or use them within your DAW. They might later be converted to work with System-8, and possibly also something new, but I am not holding my breath.

/// Tom
bluemike

Post by bluemike »

I read somewhere that the existing plugouts will be made compatible with system 8 in a future update. Not sure where I read that
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

bluemike wrote:I read somewhere that the existing plugouts will be made compatible with system 8 in a future update. Not sure where I read that
Maybe here?

https://www.roland.com/global/products/system-8/
"Support for SYSTEM-8 on previously released plug-out synths to be available soon."

What "soon" means is unspecified. I don't know if it's the System-8 firmware that needs to be updated, or if it's the plug-outs that need to be rewritten. I just hope I am not expected to repurchase the plugouts once more.

/// Tom
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

It'll be a shame if they don't at least make a JX-3P plugout available.

I know I am in the minority, but I don't really care much about the Jupiter-8 plugout. I really want the Juno-106 and JX-3P, however. An SH-2 would be icing on the cake, as I could retire my System-1 in that case.

An Alpha-Juno/MKS-50 plugout would be a welcome addition.

If Roland would ever get over their "not invented here" nonsense, models of other classic 'boards - even if they had to be named creatively for copyright purposes - would hit it out of the park. Korg seems to get no grief for calling things "MG", "P5" or "OB", for instance.

The ultimate would be licensing the plug-out format to third party developers.
Jupiter468

Post by Jupiter468 »

Hi,
my wish list plug-out for System 8:

JX-3P
Juno-60
JX-8P
Alpha Juno
Jupiter-4/6

Thanks Roland :-)
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I like to add the D-50 (unlikely I suppose) and a VP-330.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Tom_1970 wrote:I like to add the D-50 (unlikely I suppose) and a VP-330.
I'll also vote for those two + a V-Synth!
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Want to buy - Alpha Juno 2 plug out
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

zombietactics wrote:It'll be a shame if they don't at least make a JX-3P plugout available.

I know I am in the minority, but I don't really care much about the Jupiter-8 plugout. I really want the Juno-106 and JX-3P, however. An SH-2 would be icing on the cake, as I could retire my System-1 in that case.

An Alpha-Juno/MKS-50 plugout would be a welcome addition.

If Roland would ever get over their "not invented here" nonsense, models of other classic 'boards - even if they had to be named creatively for copyright purposes - would hit it out of the park. Korg seems to get no grief for calling things "MG", "P5" or "OB", for instance.

The ultimate would be licensing the plug-out format to third party developers.
Given that the S8 has an analogue input (which you can run the vocoder on.....)..... and that it and the System 1 both have MIDI I/O..... well, I can think of interesting ways to combine the two, giving you more voices, with interesting results, that may lead you to want to rethink giving up your S1. :)
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

realtrance wrote: ... may lead you to want to rethink giving up your S1. :)
Current plan-of-the-week (I can be fickle, lol) is to not buy an S-8. I've really had it with manufacturers not including aftertouch on instruments.

Currently looking at Prophet-6, OB-6 and awaiting the Behringer Deep Mind 12 ... we shall see.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

would love it if they chained the S8 & S1 for more voices....!!! Please :)

I'm over the DeepMind12 now. Sounds ok but I'll limiting my Menu diving these days.
OB6 Desktop could be next on hit list
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

DaveJ wrote:... I'm over the DeepMind12 now....
Does this mean:

1) You have one and are dissatisfied, or ....
2) You are no longer interested in getting one?