What to choose: FA-06 or FA-08?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
aliaksej

What to choose: FA-06 or FA-08?

Post by aliaksej »

I have digital piano Roland F-20 and looking for workstation.

I want to play with good synth sounds, loops, SuperNatural acoustic instruments are also welcome.

As I know, weighted keys are good for piano and not good for all other instruments.

Is FA-06 a good choice? Is it reliable device? I like it's simplicity and synth sounds and absence of sensor display.

What about FA-06 build quality?
LivingEdge

Re: What to choose: FA-06 or FA-08?

Post by LivingEdge »

aliaksej wrote: What to choose: FA-06 or FA-08?
I own the FA-08... but your question seems to be FA-06 or nothing.

Good synth sounds: yes
Supernatural Ac Instr: yes
Simple/reliable: yes
Build quality: ok

Loops -- that's where it ends, sort of! Sure, you have 4 banks of 16 pads to trigger 4x16 samples, but only 4 pads can be triggered and active at one time. A fifth pad trigger will drop out first pad triggered, etc.
aliaksej

Post by aliaksej »

How many loops at the same time can be played? Are loops managed via sequencer or via pads?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

FA-06 is great, and almost perfect when paired with an 88 key weighted keyboard - that's what i run too. I really wanted the FA-08 but found it slow when wanting to play drum parts in, and synth stabs felt odd with the weight.

Build quality, no issues for me, it's light too which is quite handy if you move around. I mean, it's plasticky, but so much is nowadays.

One thing, is the glossy finish on the panel, scratches very easily - for both FA-06 and FA-08.

Loops/samples - 4 at a time, and you can sequence them or play them in real time on the pads - they literally are just start/stop samples though, no time stretching/pitching etc.

It sounds SOOO good though, i love 80s synth sounds and it feels like you could cut the FA with a blade and Rolands history bleeds out over your hands - it's packed full of what feels like a grand collection of sound from across the years!
LivingEdge

Post by LivingEdge »

aliaksej wrote:How many loops at the same time can be played? Are loops managed via sequencer or via pads?
Loops are controlled by the sequencer. Pad triggering can also be controlled by the sequencer. If you don't use any samples while looping (or up to 4) it shouldn't be a problem. I wanted to have a song loop during different parts that had 10 different tracks of 'real live' individually recorded instruments and hence have more than 4 samples playing at a time and control the mix on top of that. It can't be done on the FA-08. During any part of the song (or while looping) you can only have up to 4 samples playing at a time.
aliaksej

Post by aliaksej »

Looking for FA-08 as FA-06 keys are toy and piano sound is also tiny. I really like Supernatural piano and don't want to loose it. Possibly I can add midi-keyboard on top of FA-08 for synth leads, drums, etc. I'm home-player and don't need to move piano outdoors.

Am I on the right direction?
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Ali,

All of the sounds on the 06 and the 08 are the same. The light action on the 06 may make the pianos sound different (not sure if you meant "tiny" or "tinny") since you are more likely to strike the keys with high velocity. Have you tried adjusting the action on the 06 to its heaviest setting? The action on the 08 pairs well with the pianos. Between the action adjustments, the piano selections and the piano sound editing, I'm sure you could find something you like in the 08. Maybe the action adjustment in the 06 alone will make it acceptable to you?

Good luck!

Joe
R.U.Doin

Post by R.U.Doin »

I'm very happy with the action of my 06, and was less pleased with the keybed of the 08. But I've never had weighted keys I alway chose for synth action. But the choice is allways very personal.
stevel

Post by stevel »

aliaksej wrote:Looking for FA-08 as FA-06 keys are toy and piano sound is also tiny. I really like Supernatural piano and don't want to loose it. Possibly I can add midi-keyboard on top of FA-08 for synth leads, drums, etc. I'm home-player and don't need to move piano outdoors.

Am I on the right direction?
You might want to look at the Roland A-800 Pro Controller. It's 61 keys (though they are quite similar to the FA-06) and you could run it via MIDI In into the FA-08 and trigger sounds. You can also use the software to set up 16 or so control maps where you can use the pads/buttons to select sounds on the FA-08. You could use the "synth action" of the A-800 for organ, synth, string, wind, etc. sounds, and use the 08's own keys for Piano, Electric Piano, etc.

But there are many controllers out there. I chose the A-800 becuase it was the cheapest one with a physical MIDI port that would allow me to assign MSB, LSB, and PC messages to a single button push to select sounds. But if you really don't like the keybed you'll have to hunt around for something with the features you want and keybed you like.

If you want SOUNDS out of the additional keyboard, there are crazy amounts of options out there. Depends on your budget and your needs.
aliaksej

Post by aliaksej »

Thanks for the answers. Looks like FA-08 + moxf 6 is great combination )

Or any midi keyboard on top of FA-08.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I compared the -06 and -08 side-by-side in a shop before i made my decision, and in that scenario the difference felt massive, however, i think when you get them back home you just get used to whatever keys you have and it's not such an issue.

For example, the -06 felt so incredibly cheap and toy like when i was comparing to the -08. The only reason i got it was portability and it was quicker for playing up tempo 1/16th beat drums on the keys (Oh, and the money difference would buy a little analog synth lol). Other than that, i was head over heels in love with the -08. And it was a tough choice.

However, now i've owned the -06 for some time, the keys no longer feel toy like, i really like them, and i'm sure the same relates to the -08, if i opted for that, i'm sure i would've got used to how the keys react when playing quickly.

So, i don't know if i'd jump straight away for two keybeds, because the -08 is a great all-rounder, it's not silly heavy keys, they just take a bit longer to rise again (If you've not managed to try one yourself), however, for the majority of playing the keys and build quality on the -08 really is a step up. (So is the weight of course).
aliaksej

Post by aliaksej »

I choose device for home playing through good speakers and don't plan to gather it anywhere )

Looks like FA-08 is my choice.