Don't Update to v1.5 if you use the shift button extensively

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
funktree

Don't Update to v1.5 if you use the shift button extensively

Post by funktree »

So Roland decided to fck with us, live performers/tweakers (me) with the new 1.5 update. The new "shift + key" on keyboard activates the transpose function.
if you tweak sounds or move the presets by 10 using the great shortcut "shift+(+ or -)" and play keyboard at the same time then your keyboard will transpose.

Do not play when you need fast scrolling ... really... roland

I need to go back to v1.1... hopefully I can do it...
funktree

Re: Do NOT Update to v 1.5 if you use shift key extensively.

Post by funktree »

Update ... I was able to downgrade to 1.1 thanks god!
caicheng

Re: Do NOT Update to v 1.5 if you use shift key extensively.

Post by caicheng »

yes, this is a problem.
brakjoller

Re: Don't Update to v1.5 if you use the shift button extensi

Post by brakjoller »

funktree wrote:So Roland decided to fck with us, live performers/tweakers (me) with the new 1.5 update. The new "shift + key" on keyboard activates the transpose function.
if you tweak sounds or move the presets by 10 using the great shortcut "shift+(+ or -)" and play keyboard at the same time then your keyboard will transpose.

Do not play when you need fast scrolling ... really... roland

I need to go back to v1.1... hopefully I can do it...
Sad to hear things have broken when people have waited so long for some new good stuff... :( Gets me thinking about the whole closed vs open source situation, where open source has actually won on many areas. Imagine if we, the community, the users and buyers of their hardware, could control the software ("firmware") in it, as we see fit. Imagine all the kinds of insane and wonderful mods we would see...

Does anyone know how much "protection" they put into a synth like the JD-Xi, to stop it from being updated by the community? Also, are there any popular/mainstream synths that uses open source firmware and which users can customize?
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

I am happy with the new firmware V1.50
funktree

Post by funktree »

CesarsoundOne wrote:I am happy with the new firmware V1.50
I understand ... this is a workflow issue. I tweak sounds while playing the keyboard all the time.
while doing that I use SHIFT+(+/-) a lot and that is when Transpose invokes.

If you play patterns without tweaking live you don’t hit this issue. I’m glad some people enjoy this update.
The most sought for feature for me was the start-up preset. I’m sick and tired to turn the unit on the A01 pattern (that stinky A01 preset/pattern rings in my ears).
miskhak

Post by miskhak »

I'm new here, so I'll just throw in my two cents. I agree there needs to be a setting that lets us deactivate the transpose-via-shift-key option, that is clearly an oversight.

However, two of your problems seem minor to me: If A01 stinks that much (ok, it does), why not just overwrite it with something you like better? Plus: use the favorites buttons! You have 16 (x16) of them, so organize the patterns you'd like to chain up in one of the banks, and forget about fiddling with shift & +/- during a performance for good.
funktree

Post by funktree »

it is not just a performance issue... when you tweak a sound and you want to hear how the sound react to a parameter tweak then that is problem. SO while playing keybed you can only go +1 or -1 with a parameter change or painfully wait when it goes from o-64 for 10 seconds. GGGG 10 years old roland gear and other’s music/button gear react to shift+arrow shift+arrow by speeding the change of parameters.

What is sad here is that there are not may people who really tweak the sounds while playing. Or I guess they have a cool editor / midi controller that they use to tweak sounds.

Roland I’m not a monkey to increment 127 values by 127 clicks.... ... or perhaps your message is
don’t play and tweak at the same time !!!!!

Release the 1.51 firmware with an option to turn this stupid “feature” off
darkstar679

Post by darkstar679 »

I do a lot of tweaking sounds while I'm playing but never accidentally transposed the synth.

Maybe I use more the favorite function to my workflow.
mixe

Post by mixe »

I confirm this is a problem for me.

I just need to mute/unmute a track while playing to trigger a Shift+note combination, and thus accidentally transpose.

(muting/unmuting single tracks is a basic feature, I've been using it with all my machines, I can't really see myself replacing it with Favorites or other workarounds)
klar_kinelis

Post by klar_kinelis »

...that's why we need an external MIDI controller for all parameters. I am thinking about Beatstep or 60knobs.