Arpeggiator - No "normal" mode

Forum for the JD-XA.
DWareham02

Re: Arpeggiator - No "normal" mode

Post by DWareham02 »

I haven't tried this. I'm watching the BiG TEN Championship game right now. But in the manual on Page 9, it tells how to edit an arpeggio. Could one edit one of the motifs and save it off as a new one... i.e. Normal Mode as you called it? It says you can save and edited arpeggio file.
Redrain68

Post by Redrain68 »

DWareham02 wrote:I haven't tried this. I'm watching the BiG TEN Championship game right now. But in the manual on Page 9, it tells how to edit an arpeggio. Could one edit one of the motifs and save it off as a new one... i.e. Normal Mode as you called it? It says you can save and edited arpeggio file.

normal arpeggio don't have/need motif but only up, down, random and octave setting,

The strange behavior is from me documented and verified by other members if u, after the big ten game of course, will try you will find the same bug.

I have read all and edited the pattern.... There is no way to get normal arpeggio but only a kind of motif sequencer
DWareham02

Post by DWareham02 »

Redrain68 wrote:
DWareham02 wrote:I haven't tried this. I'm watching the BiG TEN Championship game right now. But in the manual on Page 9, it tells how to edit an arpeggio. Could one edit one of the motifs and save it off as a new one... i.e. Normal Mode as you called it? It says you can save and edited arpeggio file.

normal arpeggio don't have/need motif but only up, down, random and octave setting,

The strange behavior is from me documented and verified by other members if u, after the big ten game of course, will try you will find the same bug.

I have read all and edited the pattern.... There is no way to get normal arpeggio but only a kind of motif sequencer
------------------
I tried this on my XA and I think what is requested is that it is the UP(_ ) Motif. I tried this and it plays for example A-C-E-G and then repeats from the A again, only going up the scale. If you try the arpeggiator, also slow down the tempo to 60 or lower really hear the notes.

To get to the Motif's; turn on the Arpeggerator; then hold down the shift key and depress Arpeggerator again. It'll likely read "OFF". Press the > button 3 times to get to the Motifs. Then us the + or- button to get to other settings. It might read whatever the current setting is, but cycle up with the + - buttons and one will find that UP (_ ) setting.

The settings with the L and H seem to hang up on the last note and just keep repeating that note over and over again.

Down (_ ) is okay. Plays down the keys pressed and repeats from the highest note back down to the lowest and repeats.

U/D (_ ) goes up the scale of the pressed keys and back down; then keeps repeating.

I didn't get a chance today to try and edit a motif or see if I could create a new one. I'll have to play with that later.

I don't know if this is the info you're looking for, but I tried.
Redrain68

Post by Redrain68 »

With octave range set to zero the arp is OK, try to set octave range to +1 or +2 and the "strangeness" will appear!
DWareham02

Post by DWareham02 »

Redrain68 wrote:With octave range set to zero the arp is OK, try to set octave range to +1 or +2 and the "strangeness" will appear!
I tried this today, but I did not see any strangeness with the Octave at other settings past zero. Either way.. even -3 , it acted normal for me. It acts the same way as I described in my earlier writing here.

L and H act like the just bottom out and keep playing the same note.

Up (_ 0 and Down (_ ) work the same as zero setting. U/D (_ ) works good too.

Not sure what the normal mode is that was referred to earlier.
Redrain68

Post by Redrain68 »

Are you using single note or chord ?
Redrain68

Post by Redrain68 »

this are standard arpeggio soundings

roland V-Synth XT
https://soundcloud.com/redrain-2/v-synth

Nord Lead A1
https://soundcloud.com/redrain-2/nord-lead-a1

Roland JDXA ( tested with all the motif)
https://soundcloud.com/redrain-2/jdxa

the JDXA arepeggio is not standard like the A1 and the V-Synth...you can hear the differences ?
DWareham02

Post by DWareham02 »

Redrain68 wrote:Are you using single note or chord ?
Both..... chord gets a better test than just one note.
DWareham02

Post by DWareham02 »

Redrain68 wrote:this are standard arpeggio soundings

roland V-Synth XT
https://soundcloud.com/redrain-2/v-synth

Nord Lead A1
https://soundcloud.com/redrain-2/nord-lead-a1

Roland JDXA ( tested with all the motif)
https://soundcloud.com/redrain-2/jdxa

the JDXA arepeggio is not standard like the A1 and the V-Synth...you can hear the differences ?

I can hear the difference in your examples. I do not get the JDXA example you have here. I get a correct version of up the scale without the shifting back and forth of the notes.

Mine seems to be normal as you've desired.

I'm wondering if you did a backup of your system and then a factory reset, if that might fix the problem. You guys are much more sophisticated users than me; so maybe along the way something got reset in the system level that affects and produces the problem. Just thinking out loud.
Redrain68

Post by Redrain68 »

I have still the problem , os updated 1.5

cheers
MartinE

Post by MartinE »

Hi,

I'm *not* an expert on this, so I may be completely off. But here goes...

The default template is #1. That template only contains one step with one note. This is important because the param guide p. 60 at the top says: "... how notes are sounded if you hold down MORE KEYS THAN THE NUMBER OF NOTES SPECIFIED BY THE ARPEGGIO" (my bold, sorry...)

So when you press C - E - G it will actually play template #1 three times over to get all three notes out - while also applying the motif AND the octave shift. I think that's what's causing the confusion.

I could replicate the pattern from the V-synth etc. by creating a Pattern with three steps, and pressing three consecutive keys, like this:

1. Go to ARP menu, go to the end to get to Pattern Edit. Press Enter.
2. Press ">" twice, then "+" until you get "End Step 3"
3. Press "<" to get back, then press Step REC
4. Now press C, D, E (i.e. "first key pressed", "next higher key pressed" and "highest key pressed" when you only play a three-note chord)
5. Press Exit to get out
6. Set Octave shift to +1
7. Play the C chord

I don't think the Motif matters, since we're playing the same number of notes as the arp pattern. It's only when we press more, e.g. a C - E - G - B, that the motif starts "interfering". Try it with octave shift +3 and you'll see.

But as usual, the manuals aren't really clear on these matters...
sbardy

Post by sbardy »

It's a bug , Roland jd xi is affected too viewtopic.php?f=58&t=53524 I hope Roland can fix it asap