Fantom X sequencer, MSB, LSB & Prog Change

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
gcoudert67

Fantom X sequencer, MSB, LSB & Prog Change

Post by gcoudert67 »

Quick question: in the Fantom X sequencer, how do I manually enter the MSB, LSB and Prog Change numbers? I am not talking about the intial settings undert the External tab of the related Performance. I am talking about inserting programme changes in the middle of a song.
I tried inserting CC controllers 99 (MSB), 100 (LSB) and the dedicated Program Change message but it doesn't work. Can this be done without having to resort to entering whole sysex strings?
Thanks!
LA Keys

Re: Fantom X sequencer, MSB, LSB & Prog Change

Post by LA Keys »

Load a song then:
Song edit -> Micro Edit -> Create -> Program Change

Make sure you are in the correct line position when you click 'create', which will insert a PC into the song at this position.

This should work. Sorry, not much time to explain as I have to go real soon.

LA
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

... But...

I personally prefer just to layout all the instruments in the performance tab (as well as the effect) an then just change the channel within the song. This work very well unless your song require more than 16 instruments (parts)

LA
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

Thanks but how do you enter the MSB and LSB for the various banks?
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

For the MSB/LSB you do just about the same

Song edit -> Micro Edit -> Create -> Control Change
- For the MSB you use control cange CC00
- For the LSB you use control change CC32

For the MSB and LSB parameters values you will need this document: http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pd ... s_0707.pdf

For example, say you want to select a patch of "Preset A" bank
- CC00 (MSB) = 87
- CC32 (LSB) = 64
This will select "Preset A" bank
Then you use program change as I wrote previously to select the patch you want on this bank.

There's many tables in the document providing the required values for MSB/LSB to access all the banks.

LA
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Also, I wanted to add that if you want to do really fancy I have a look at the Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7739

LA
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much! So it's CC00 and CC32 then. I'll try that out later.
LA Keys wrote:There's many tables in the document providing the required values for MSB/LSB to access all the banks.
Thanks. That info is also displayed on the screen for each patch (to the left of the instrument 'photo') in Patch List view, which is a very neat feature. I only noticed it yesterday and I've had the X8 for over two years! Thanks again!
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

gcoudert67 wrote:Thanks. That info is also displayed on the screen for each patch (to the left of the instrument 'photo') in Patch List view, which is a very neat feature. I only noticed it yesterday and I've had the X8 for over two years!
Wow! Can you believe that I've had my X7 for over 6 years and never noticed that either!!! I've bought and sold many other keyboards since that but I'll never sell the X7. It's just still such a great instrument.

Btw, CC99 and CC100 are for NRPN and RPN message, which I believe is not of much use with the fantom X. In contrast you will need use NRPN to set the full range of some parameters values for most Dave Smith instruments.

LA
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

LA Keys wrote:I've bought and sold many other keyboards since that but I'll never sell the X7. It's just still such a great instrument.
Tell me about it. I like my X8 so much I've just bought an X7 to keep it company!
robertkoa

Post by robertkoa »

Another thing I used to do is just record
Sys Ex on XP 60 into a short Pattern and the sequencer would automatically change the XP 60 and the Mophatt Turbo
Soundbanks at that point..

Fantom X has super MRC sequencer also....so should work.

So you can record program changes or entire soundbanks as sysex into a Pattern
and when it's played back by sequencer- instant change..requires only a few measures and does not need blank space
on other patterns etc.