JDXi Manager - Patch Editor for the Roland JD-Xi Synthesizer

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
baz55

Re: JDXi Manager - Patch Editor for the Roland JD-Xi Synthes

Post by baz55 »

A new development release of the JDXI Manager (version 0.0.10 alpha) is available now.

You can download it at the usual link:
http://jdxi-manager.linuxtech.net/

The main addition is editors for the two SuperNatural Synth parts.

If you encounter any bugs please don't hesitate to report them here.

Have fun!
funktree

Post by funktree »

baz55 wrote: BTW, I really like your youtube tracks you did with the JD-Xi, IMHO they are among the best I've seen on youtube.
Thanks ,, I really appreciate !
naught101

Post by naught101 »

A native Linux version will also be available soon.
Great! Looking forward to this.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

naught101 wrote:
A native Linux version will also be available soon.
Great! Looking forward to this.
Ok, I have put together a quick page with instructions for Linux, see here:
http://jdxi-manager.linuxtech.net/linux.html
baz55

Post by baz55 »

I have set up a Twitter account where I'll post tweets about new releases of the 'JDXi Manager' and occasional other tweets related to the 'JDXi Manager':
https://twitter.com/LinuxTECH_NET
loransan

Post by loransan »

Hi,
I just downloaded and tried your patch manager. It's great and works fine (I'm using Win7 Pro).
This little JdXi needed an editor, it's so much easier to tweak the sounds !!

Many thanks for your time and work, i'll be following this thread. If I find any bug, i'll tell you.

Laurent From France
baz55

Post by baz55 »

Thanks for the kind words Laurent!
savagedog

Post by savagedog »

HI
First of all I would like to thank you for making the effort and especially for sharing this program with us. It also works very well!

Since you want to hear any bugs, I would like to draw attention to two bugs.
1) Unfortunately, the Connection does not work with direct MIDI interfaces yet (miditech 4x4)
2) Group edit does not work any way yet.

Everything else works very well so far!
baz55

Post by baz55 »

Thanks for providing feedback, this is very much appreciated.
savagedog wrote:1) Unfortunately, the Connection does not work with direct MIDI interfaces yet (miditech 4x4)
Using a different MIDI interface than the one built into the JD-Xi is supported by the JDXi Manager, I do a lot of testing with a M-Audio MidiSport 2x2 and have never experienced any problems. I don't have a miditech 4x4 so I can't test that one but since it's class compliant I assume it uses the generic Windows MIDI drivers and therefore should work.

In order to try to find why the miditech 4x4 doesn't work with the editor, can you please describe more precisely what doesn't work?

Are you able to select the 'miditech 4x4' in the pulldown menus for MIDI In and OUT?

Do you hear a sound coming from the JD-XI when you press the 'Test' button on the editor after selecting the 'miditech 4x4' as MIDI OUT?

Do you have any other application running at the same time that uses your MIDI interface (if yes, then please try with no other application running)?

Also can you please tell me what Windows version you are using?
2) Group edit does not work any way yet.
I assume you mean editing more than one partial at the same time from the editor?
If that's what you mean then yes, you are correct, that isn't implemented yet.

Please note that the 'Edit Select' buttons in the 'Digital Synth Editor' windows are simply for enabling/disabling which partials are affected by knob movements on the JD-XI itself, they are the equivalent of the '01', '02', '03' buttons on the JD-Xi when in Digital Synth 'Tone Edit' mode, not a way to edit multiple partials from the Editor itself.

Also there is a bug in the JD-Xi firmware that means that status changes via sysex (from any editor) of the '01', '02', '03' buttons (and also of the '05', '06', '07' buttons and of the 'Tone Category' and the 'Tone Name') are only visible on the JD-Xi front panel once you press the 'Shift' button on the JD-Xi. This bug only affects visibilty on the JD-Xi front panel (status of the LEDs), the changes themselves have actually been applied to the JD-Xi.
savagedog

Post by savagedog »

baz55 wrote:

In order to try to find why the miditech 4x4 doesn't work with the editor, can you please describe more precisely what doesn't work?
It tells me that sysex coulnt be received . Check connections.

I tried it out on Miditec on 4 Ports. With the Delta1010 it has worked well.
baz55 wrote:
Do you hear a sound coming from the JD-XI when you press the 'Test' button on the editor after selecting the 'miditech 4x4' as MIDI OUT?
Only the "Microsoft GS" sounds
baz55 wrote: U

Do you have any other application running at the same time that uses your MIDI interface (if yes, then please try with no other application running)?

Also can you please tell me what Windows version you are using?
no other application and i use Win7 64bit.

Just ask if you have more questions :-)

Thanx Mate
savagedog

Post by savagedog »

*double*
baz55

Post by baz55 »

savagedog wrote:With the Delta1010 it has worked well.
That's useful to know, that confirms that the problem is specific to the "miditech 4x4".
savagedog wrote:Only the "Microsoft GS" sounds
If you hear the "Microsoft GS" sounds when you press the Test button then that means that the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" was selected as output device, not the "miditech 4x4".
Can you try the Test button again after you explicitly select the "miditech 4x4" (even if it looks like it's already selected) as input and output device?
savagedog wrote:Just ask if you have more questions :-)
I think the only way to solve this is to provide you with a debug version of the JDXi Manager that will output some debug information which you then would need to send to me. If this is ok for you then I'll try to get you a debug version in the next few days, as soon as I have time for it.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation with this.
savagedog

Post by savagedog »

baz55 wrote:
savagedog wrote:Only the "Microsoft GS" sounds
If you hear the "Microsoft GS" sounds when you press the Test button then that means that the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" was selected as output device, not the "miditech 4x4".
Can you try the Test button again after you explicitly select the "miditech 4x4" (even if it looks like it's already selected) as input and output device?

It was selected. In the box it was also indicated that the 4x4 is selected. However, only the strange sound from Microsoft was played. At the weekend I will try some more attempts to locate the source of the error.
naught101

Post by naught101 »

Working really nicely on Linux. Thank you!

Some feedback:
  • It'd be nice to have a quick way to reset a particular parameter to the default value. Double clicking or right clicking might be good.
  • The program doesn't read MIDI on the fly - I have to press the read button to get updates from knob changes.
  • It'd be really cool to have a global edit - so if "Global edit" is on, then the digital panel for the active partial affects all partials (perhaps relatively?)
baz55

Post by baz55 »

naught101 wrote:Working really nicely on Linux. Thank you!
Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear from somebody using it on Linux, too!
It'd be nice to have a quick way to reset a particular parameter to the default value. Double clicking or right clicking might be good.
What do you mean by default value? Zero?
You can already reset the whole tone to the 'Init Tone' (as found in the preset tones of the JD-Xi) by clicking on 'File > New', but I guess that's not what you meant.
The program doesn't read MIDI on the fly - I have to press the read button to get updates from knob changes.
I have thought of that and it's something that I might add in future, but it's not trivial to implement and right now I'm focusing first on completing the editor (Drums Part, Program, Effects, Vocoder and so on).
It'd be really cool to have a global edit - so if "Global edit" is on, then the digital panel for the active partial affects all partials (perhaps relatively?)
I have planned to add something similar, a button to clone one partial onto another partial and maybe even the possibility to save individual partials as files to disk (so you can easily mix and match different partials). But a "Global edit" could be useful to, I'll put it on the list of things that I might add in future.