Loading Fantom X data onto Fantom S

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
twaitest

Loading Fantom X data onto Fantom S

Post by twaitest »

I read through the page that talks about compatibility, changing file names, etc. but I am quite a caveman!

Is there a simple way I can just put the flash card into my PC (Windows machine), pull up my sounds and change the file name that way so that I can put my "X" sounds into the "S"? I realize some sounds won't transfer because of the B bank in the X, but most will.

Found a great deal on an S so am using as a backup (if I can get the sounds transferred!)

Thanks all
rcraven

Re: Loading Fantom X data onto Fantom S

Post by rcraven »

As the two are so similar you can go from FanS to FanX and FanX to FanS.

Start the the FanX version of librarian program and let it connect to your FanX.
Transfer your sounds from the FanX to the library program and export a SMF (Standard Midi File)
If you load from a file instead, you will have to select and cut and paste from the new file window to the Main window and then you can Export to SMF.

Start the FanS version of the Library program and let it connect to your FanS.
Import the SMF off your disk and it will load it straight into the Main window of the FanS Library program so you can transfer it to the synth by clicking WRITE button.

Job done !

The patches that have waves in one and not the other just won't sound.
This is also true of any patch that has a wave from a SRX card that is in one synth, but missing in the other.
The extra waves in the FanX are in a separate 'Bank' with its own bank number, which is exactly like the SRX waves.

All the best
Royce
twaitest

Post by twaitest »

Royce,

Thank you so much for your instructions. I've been messing with it but am so frustrated I want to throw it out the window!!! No matter what I do, I get the error message about the Fantom X not being connected or connected correctly. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

I have midi cables (out to in, in to out), and a usb cable from the keyboard to the audio/midi interface. the "setup midi devices" has the audio/midi interface selected. Device ID says 17, and so does the Fantom. Are there settings or connections I am missing?

Thanks!!
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

Did you switch the USB mode from Storage to MIDI?
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Don't use the USB if you have a MIDI adapter connected to your PC.
Just use the Midi cables (in to out - out to in. As you said).

Don't use a Midi adapter if it is one of those useless cheap Ebay ones.
The adapter needs to have come with a CD with drivers (or the drivers are downloadable).
Roland, Yamaha, M-Audio (Midisport), Korg, Behringer etc.
Any Midi interface that just loads the Microsoft drivers may not work (there is a design bug in the MS driver)

Page 215 of the manual
Exclusive messages are not received.
Check the following points.
• Is the instrument set to receive Exclusive messages?
Set the Rx Exclusive parameter to “ON” (p. 193).
• Does the Device ID number of the transmitting device match the Device ID number of the Fantom-S?
Check the Device ID parameter (p. 192).
• Are you attempting to write to the User area? Data can be written to the User area only in Librarian mode.

The factory setting for device ID is 17and you set the matching value in the Lib program in the Setup / Setup Midi Devices... area.

Page 199 of the manual
Using Fantom-S Librarian
Fantom-S Librarian is software that lets you manage libraries of Fantom-S parameter data on your computer. It provides an efficient way to manage patch, rhythm set, and performance data.
In order to use the librarian included on the “Fantom-S Editor CD-ROM,” you will need to put the Fantom-S in Librarian mode.
* The same is true when you want to use a separately sold librarian.
1. Press [MENU].
2. Use ^ or v to select “Librarian” and then press [ENTER]. Librarian mode will be selected.
In Librarian mode, system exclusive messages sent from an external MIDI device can overwrite the settings in user memory. You will be unable to operate the panel of the Fantom-S.
3. Press [EXIT] to exit Librarian mode and return to the normal state.

All the best
Royce
twaitest

Post by twaitest »

UGH!!!!!!!

Everything is set the correct parameters, I have it all hooked up correctly and it recognizes the device in the dropdowns (the librarian software recognizes the midi adapter by name...Tascam US122MKII) but still just gives me the error message.

I'm just not sure what to do :(
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

You are using the Fantom-S Librarian NOT the FanX Librarian ????

OK different tack.

Start the FanX librarian -
FanX Lib
load in your patches, performances etc
File /Export SMF All Data - FanStoX.MID

Start the FanS librarian -
FanS Lib
File /Import SMF All Data - FanStoX.MID
Setup Midi Devices and make sure it is Device 17
File /Export SMF All Data - FanStoX_17.MID

Start your DAW and load in FanStoX_17.MID (I assume you know how to get your DAW to direct the sysex to the Midi output connected to your FanS.)

OR
If you have PC - start MidiOx
Actions / Play Midi
On the MidiBar click the Midi plug button (second on the left) and set it to the Midi interface that is connected to your FanS
Load FanStoX_17.MID (button 3rd from left)

On The FanS -
Use the Menu button to make sure it is set to Device 17
Make sure receive sysex is on.
set it to library mode

Play the FanStoX_17.MID by pressing play on your DAW OR on MidiBar (button 4th from left)

Let me know how you get on.
All the best
Royce
twaitest

Post by twaitest »

Thank you Royce I will try this. You are awesome for taking the time to help me out.

To answer your question...yes, using FanX librarian, not FanS just yet, because I can't get the files out of the X. I've never tried Midiox...just downloaded it and will cross my fingers!

I wonder if my issue that I'm on Windows 10? The FanX librarian downloaded and launches just fine.
twaitest

Post by twaitest »

So...when I go to "play midi", and I click the folder (3rd from left) it cannot seem to locate the file that it needs (FanStoX_17.mid). It recognizes the midi interface, but cannot get to the file. Any thoughts?

Is there anything I can do with the memory card to get the backed up files right off the card, into the PC, and then out to the Fantom S?
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

1) You need to use the FanS librarian for the FanS and the FanX Librarian for the FanX !!

2) You need to be able to run the FanX and the FanS Librarians.

2a)"FanStoX.mid" (I should have called FanXToS - sorry) is the first file you created with the FanX Librarian.
2b)"FanStoX_17.mid" is the second file you just created with the FanS Librarian so you should know where you put it.
Start the FanS Librarian and goto File / Export SMF /All Data.. and see if that takes you to where the file is. The directory you need will be written at the top banner of the Save dialog.
Note it down and use it in MidiOX (Midi Bar) to find the midi file to play.

3) My FanS isn't here at the moment so I can't check exactly how this works, but I have a CompactFlash (CF) to PCMCIA card in my FanX and and a SmartMedia to XD adapter in my FanS and so I will assume you have something similar as memory Cards in your synths.

You will need a card reader for your computer to read/write to both of the card memories.

Take the FanX CF memory and create a new folder FanSTrans on it using the PC.

Put it back in the FanX
FanX - copy your User patches
Press the MENU button and go to File Utility
F1 for the USER area - USER\ROLAND\SND and Mark Set the internal FANS svd and svs files
Press Copy and then F2 to go to CARD\FanSTrans, right cursor to go into the empty folder and EXEC to save the svd and svs files to the card.
Exit back to the normal preset area and remove the card

Put the FanX CF card and the FanS XD card into the PC
Copy the CF \FanSTrans\fans.svd and the svs files to.. FanS XD card \ROLAND\SND

I should think that when you put the XD-SmartMedia back in the FanS the patches should appear in the CARD presets.

Let me know how you get on.

All the best
Royce
twaitest

Post by twaitest »

Thanks Royce!

Yes...I realize that the Librarian software needs to be used with the matching keyboard. But the BIG challenge is that I've not been able at all to use the Fantom X Librarian because it just will not grab the files out of the keyboard. "FanStoX.mid" is not a file I was able to create because of this. So frustrating!!

But...what you are saying about the cards in each keyboard...can I bypass trying to use the Librarian software completely this way? That would be GREAT!!
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

I hope so.
I try to check everything I write here, so I don't look like the idiot that many suspect I am.
Unfortunately I don't have the FanS here and I am unlikely to get it for while due to current commitments.

Give the cards a a shot and if it doesn't quite work out perhaps we can work it out together.

You can still get both the XD to SmartMedia and the CF to PC card adapters on eBay. Then you just need a reader that can cope with the two memory cards.
I see there is a XD to Smartmedia adapter with a 1G XD card currently on offer from China on eBay - search for this number 252018046925

I have a feeling I had to 'adjust' the FanS adapter when I got it to make it fit - I could be wrong as it was a few years ago. Works perfectly though.

I am a bit confused. Is the FanX or the FanS librarian or both not working?
Does the FanX librarian see the FanX?
On the FanX - Menu button the System then Midi.
The top entry in General is Midi ID - make it 17
On the page go down to the Receive section and change Receive Exclusive to ON and press F8 for 'System Write'

Connect the both Midi In to Interface Out and Midi Out to Interface In
Start the FanX Library program
Menu options Setup / Set Up MIDI Devices...
On this new dialog select the Fantom X input and output to your Midi Interface and make the Device ID 17.
Press OK
On the 'Main' window change the 'Mode' to Patch
Press the All button in the Read box.

All the best
Royce
twaitest

Post by twaitest »

Still working on this...stay tuned for success level :)