RD700NX vs. RD800: which is better for trills/fast runs?

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
kudzu69

RD700NX vs. RD800: which is better for trills/fast runs?

Post by kudzu69 »

Finding my 700nx hard to play for "fast stuff", and it doesn't have the bounce feel of my old SX. Would the 800 give me the NX quality with a more spry keybed?
Arno

Re: RD700NX vs. RD800: which is better for trills/fast runs?

Post by Arno »

Hi,

well, I bought an RD-800 just few weeks ago after testing it intensively at a music store nearby.
It's definitely "faster" than I am, as I'm able to play the 3rd part of the Moonlight Sonata not as presto agitato as it is required (160 bpm) but reaching around 130-140bpm. I think the 160bpm would be no problem for the RD-800, it's definitely a problem for my fingers ;-)

Alberti arpeggios, chromatic scales and trills are definitely possible. The PH4 keybed is extremely fast due to the 3-sensor technology allowing repetition even if the key is not completely lifted. The resolution is noticeably high, which requires a little more sensitivity in your fingers as you can hear even small velocity variations.

I have no comparison to an RD700. I used an AKAI MPK88 master keyboard before. The faster I got, the more spongy the feeling at my fingertips was. Starting at around 110-120 bpm it became nearly impossible to play a clearly definite Alberti-Arpeggio as it was required in the Sonata.

The Ebony-Ivory-Feel is definitely something you should get used into it. During the first few days I tended to slip from the keys, but now I love this feeling of nearly "flying" over the keys.

Cheers
Arno
kudzu69

Re: RD700NX vs. RD800: which is better for trills/fast runs?

Post by kudzu69 »

Thanks - your answer sounds encouraging! I guess it's all up to the difference between the PHA3 and PHA4. Unfortunately, no RD800 nearby to try out - I'll have to order one and hope that it's at least no worse than my 700NX, and then try to sell the one I don't want to keep.