Excessive background noise on some factory patches ?

Forum for the JD-XA.
KeplerFinn

Excessive background noise on some factory patches ?

Post by KeplerFinn »

Anyone else experiencing very noticeable background noise on the factory patches B07 (Mystic Bass) and B08 on a pre-v1.50 system?
Even when no notes are playing or all parts are muted.

The same can be heard on a v1.50 system for patch D13 (Comp Bass), especially when you turn up the master volume halfway.
Practically none of the other patches expose this behavior.

I did some investigation and it seems the noise comes from the FX section (hence why it remains there even when all parts are muted), more specifically the compressor. When I turn off the compressor, the noise is gone.
Is this normal?
KeplerFinn

Re: Excessive background noise on some factory patches ?

Post by KeplerFinn »

Tough question?

I mean, I know compressors can add some noise because they not only lower the peaks but also increase the general volume of the signal. (to compensate for perceived decrease in loudness)

However, in this case it seems so right in the face. I can't believe they would include presets where the background noise is so obvious.
analogharmony

Post by analogharmony »

I just noticed some pretty damn bad background noise (clicks, pops, bad distortion) when I run the digital oscillator through the analog filter...it's unlistenable, and I fear it is a defect. Unfortunately I got my board used and so am most likely screwed from what I hear...
KeplerFinn

Post by KeplerFinn »

I don't hear clicks and pops on mine. And as far as I can tell, the digital to analog routing seems to work just fine. Didn't use it extensively yet.
Just a noisy compressor. When not cranked up too much it's usable.

However, those factory presets I was talking about do have an higher amount of compression which causes very noticeable background noise. Right in the face. Quite an odd decision.