XV-5080 encoder replacement

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
genesis92

XV-5080 encoder replacement

Post by genesis92 »

Hi Guys.
I've bought a second hand 5080 with faulty encoder.
I've successfully replaced the special roland part encoder by a standard one (Bourns) from Farnell (3€) with little hardware modifications on the encoder PCB (wiring).
if some are interrested I will post the replacement details.
Modal

Re: XV-5080 encoder replacement

Post by Modal »

I have been looking for a replacement encoder for the XV5080, but I cannot find any cross reference. Roland does not carry them in stock any longer. Did you find the correct replacement?
I know it's an AlPS part,but I cant find the one listed in the service manual by number. Do you have a manufacturer and a part number. I would greatly appreciate any information you would share.

THank You.
genesis92

Post by genesis92 »

the original part is not a standard one, but unlike the JD-990 it's a standard quadrature output. so a regular one from Bourns works well but you must do some PCB modifications and little wiring (2 wires).
I've found the origin of the crackling noises on the 5080 too if your unit have this trouble.
Modal

Post by Modal »

I thank you for your reply. Do you have the Bourne part number by any chance?
genesis92

Post by genesis92 »

so you are interested for details of the replacement as described in the first post.
I will make a public album on my facebook and post the link with the details when finished
Modal

Post by Modal »

Thanks. Let me know when it's on your FB page.
genesis92

Post by genesis92 »

hello Modal.
check if the link works
https://www.facebook.com/franck.morisse ... 528&type=3
Modal

Post by Modal »

genesis92 - Thanks for the link. It seems a bit of work involved but thats ok. Im wondering what the dimension of the original casing is? It apears to be about 20mm on all sides? I wonder if there is a larger one made by Bourns. Can you tell me the outside dimensions? Your instructions are very clear and informative .
Thanks .
genesis92

Post by genesis92 »

yes there's the 16mm from tyco and EC16B (ALPS) but they are not easily available with push button and metal shaft, this is why I've used the 11mm from bourns. and even with 16mm model the wiring will be different from the original part.
but if you find another encoder you can adapt the wiring to it.
original encoder size is 16 x 18mm
Modal

Post by Modal »

THanks. I was looking for the ALPS EC16B for weeks now. It seems it was a specific build for Roland exclusively for the 5080. Impossible to find. Rolands parts dept. has NO parts for the 5080 in stock, anymore. You did a nice retro with the Bourns. That seems to be a good solution. I proably will order a few from Digi-Key or Mouser. DO you notice any difference with the 24 detents on the Bourns rather than the ALPS with 36 detents? Does it access slower with the Bourns?

Thanks.
genesis92

Post by genesis92 »

no for me it's not a problem the new encoder uses 24 detents instead of 36 but for me it's not an issue.
if you can find an EC16B with push function you can use the wiring to connect it if you want :)
the problem of the EC16B is the plastic shaft instead of metal.
Modal

Post by Modal »

Thanks for your help genesis92. I certainly have enough info to go by!
Modal

Post by Modal »

genesis92
I want to back up the whole machine. Does it have a bulk dump or sysex dump feature? I cant find it. I was only able to backup the User memory bank to a Smart Card, Do I backup each back seperately one at a time?

Modal
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

EDIT

YES GENEIS92, my apologies to both of you

You are fast becoming the 5080 HW GURU and as this modules get even older these may be some go to "how to's"

I appreciate your work and I'd like to see the coder "how to" but I am not, and never will be, a FB or even twitter member/user so is it possible to publish the info as PDF here??

If not thanks for you effort anyway and keep at it
Modal

Post by Modal »

Bluesplayer
The "How to" for the Encoder belongs to genesis92. You would need to ask him for a copy of the encoder installation. Sorry, I cant help you
Modal