Overlay / Graphic panel for FA-06 and FA-08

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
tomkitel

Re: Overlay / Graphic panel for FA-06 and FA-08

Post by tomkitel »

Myrk- wrote:Hey does anyone know a good online ordering platform (preferably one that doesn't charge a % otherwise I have to add it on to the total cost)? If I can set up an online shop it's going to be much easier to track it all! :)
Wouldn't Paypal help to keep track with the orders? Maybe Amazon or simply ebay would also be an option. But not sure how much they charge to vendors?

Tom
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Yer I'll probably do it via ebay, despite the charges... Allows me to keep a good log of all the addresses and payments etc for the 1st run. I'll also do direct as well for people on this forum.
Wmacky

Post by Wmacky »

Is it not possible to do the adhesive only on the corners like on the JD-XA. See the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1IAZTPXOrE
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

You can just cut away some of the 3M protective backing to make it have just a few edges of stickyness! I don't want to detriment others for those who assume the overlay will be temporary (I'm pretty certain people won't want to remove it, and that your FA will be more valuable 2nd hand with it on!) :D
Wmacky

Post by Wmacky »

I understand. Please put me down for a set.
Wmacky

Post by Wmacky »

Any updates?
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Soon... I've sent over my cash for setting up the machine at the factory, and the company I'm using is currently altering the drawings for their systems - I reviewed the latest set this morning and only had 2 minor errors to correct, so I imagine by the end of the week the prototype will be sent out to me. This being said I prefer to work like id software and refrain from an exact date - it's done when it's done, and properly! :)

What I can confirm is that the first batch will have 40 red/black, and 10 b&W overlays. I will keep 1 of each for myself, but those wanting B&W it's a first come first served basis for first batch of just 9!
Wmacky

Post by Wmacky »

Thanks
michaeldanny

Post by michaeldanny »

Myrk I love the work that you've done! I hope you don't mind communicating via facebook. I'm 100% I'm buying one of those. If u don't mind pls add me On fb. I'm Michael Danny Dwi Rendrahadi
jhhccs

Post by jhhccs »

I'm interested as well. The current panel looks like they had intended to back light it and then for some reason didn't. Anyway, I need a set.
Wmacky

Post by Wmacky »

How about the shiny left panel that is labeled "FA-06", and "FA-08"? Are you including that panel with the set, and if so, how are you handling that? Having a run of each?
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Update:

Got the prototype from the factory today - all fits really well, super snug (it should do - spent weeks doing the alignment to get it dead on)! I should have the printed prototype in the next week, and selling shortly. The only last delay in the process will be Chinese New Year (it's like China's equivalent of Christmas break, they all shut down for a week or 2). Not long now, appreciate people waiting! :)

The null-coloured mockup from factory (click image to make the scroll bars disappear):
DSC_0278 (Small).JPG
DSC_0278 (Small).JPG (80.41 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
(For those curious about the picture, yes, the synth is light enough that you can happily mount it on a snare stand or other drum hardware!)

As for the 06 / 08 panel section you just let me know which one you need in the ordering stage later on. As the panel is the same size on 06 and 08 I have made sure to do an excess number of just those parts to cover in case 40 people in the first batch all want it for 06. I can, for a small fee (US$5 or so I'd guess), sell additional 06 or 08 panels if users want to write on it (gold/silver pen signature style, or whatever people wanna do to personally pimp their synth).
Wmacky

Post by Wmacky »

That good news.

Quick question. Your center panel has the clear plastic center for the display right?

I bought my FA-08 used, and my LCD display plastic is badly scratched. I wonder if it would be possible to lift off the entire original center panel and replace "completely" with the new panel? I wonder if it will pry up?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I think that overlay is constructed from a single material and will be inked with a different colour, so the display will be a cut out, not a clear plastic covering.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

No it has clear panels! These are over the main screen, the tempo screen, and the 4 triangles used to choose the rotary function (as that is 1 cutout rectangular area rather then 4 triangular cuts). It is a double layer system, printed on the bottom of the top layer (a matt finish look), the bottom layer is the glossy see-through material, so that way there is also a nice slight lip where theres a change of height between the 2 materials (of the material thickness)... if that makes sense? When I get the finals through I'll take all the promo pics etc so you'll see what I mean.

As for the screen scratches, my understanding is that you can polish out scratches on plastic screens (I've heard of this before, but need to do some good reading as to what materials can be buffed out, then ask Roland what the material is to see if it's possible)... I will also look into doing this as I scratched my FA up a bit when doing all the measuring and creation of these faceplates! Oh the irony...