Setup Help:Roland XV-5080, Studiologic 1100SL, Korg iS40

Talk about anything here
cbauwens

Setup Help:Roland XV-5080, Studiologic 1100SL, Korg iS40

Post by cbauwens »

Hi,

I recently acquired a Roland XV-5080. I need help hooking up my components. Please bear with me and help -this is all still fairly new to me.

So here it goes. I have:
-Roland XV-5080 rack synth, 4 expansion cards on board, max memory. Fantastic machine!
Has Midi THRU, OUT, IN1, IN2

-Studiologic 1100SL midi controller keyboard (no sound on board, a true controller with a wonderful Fatar keyboard 88 keys)
Has Midi OUT1, OUT2, IN

-Korg iS40 arranger keyboard synth (again older, but I like to keep some of the stuff I did on it)
Has Midi THRU, OUT, IN

As far as connectivity goes I should be OK.
I can perfectly hook up the Korg and the Studiologic, but adding in the Roland is a big curve ball.

My purpose is to get sounds from the Roland through the Studiologic controller, while at the same time being able to use all the Korg stuff such as all rythm patters, auto arrangements, banked voices etc.

I can make all three units to go but it does not do what I want. Also the Korg drum and arrangement section is way overpowering, even with controls down.

Question 1: How do I physically hook all these together using general midi?
Question 2: Do I need a mixer to control the volume before going into an amp with studio monitors?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Rodan

Re: Setup Help:Roland XV-5080, Studiologic 1100SL, Korg iS40

Post by Rodan »

Hi Bauwens,

Starting with question 2, yes the way to do this is to get a mixer. The mixer is for more than just setting volumes, it is the gear that combines the audio signals so they can be sent as a single signal to the amp and speakers.

What you have is the Korg which provides one audio out signal to the mixer. Your second audio source is the XV-5080 which should also go to the mixer. All of these connections are stereo audio, no MIDI involved. You use MIDI to connect the Studio Logic keyboard to the XV-5080. You now have two keyboard, two tone sources and all audio going to your speakers.

There is another configuration that you might try if you want to play the same notes with both the Roland and the Korg. That would be, to connect the MIDI out from the Korg to the Roland. In this case you don't use the Studio Logic controller at all. There may also be some more complicated configurations, but once you get a mixer, you'll be too busy making music to worry about them for a while. Oh, and one bit of advice, when you go looking for a mixer, pick one with more inputs that you currently need. You never know when you are going to find another piece of gear that is just irresistible. Have fun!
cbauwens

Re: Setup Help:Roland XV-5080, Studiologic 1100SL, Korg iS40

Post by cbauwens »

Thank you for the reply! All making much more sense to me now.