Aluminum sides for System 8

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
richardbates1

Re: Aluminum sides for System 8

Post by richardbates1 »

Synthtron wrote:
richardbates1 wrote:The aluminum sides are really cool, I pre-ordered mine with my System8 pre-order.
I was told they will be shipping in early October.
Very cool. I have not decided when I will jump on board and snag one. When I decide I'll get the Aluminum sides too. I have not decided if my next Roland synth will be the System-8 or the JD-XA. I like the cross over idea but I kind of feel like I have exhausted all of the Roland tech from the past four years at the moment with Boutiques, JD-Xi, System-1, TR-8, Jupiter-80 and 50. Not to mention all of my other older Roland synths from the V-Synth going back to the Juno-60.
I do love the direction Roland has been going in none the less.
I have the JDXA and I love it, it is a keeper, what I love from a sound designing aspect is the analog and the digital layered together, no matter what kind of patch I create I always use the analog to warm and enrich the digital side. There also menu diving which gives the JDXA a deeper programing level. But what I like about the System 8 is everything is on the top panel knob and slider control no menu diving, very simple and straight forward programming like synths in the 80's which I grew up on and for me that was when synths were great fun. I also had 2 JP08's which I thought sounded great but awkward with the poly chaining, I sold them. With the System 8 I will have that great sound of the JP08's inside a very functional keyboard (that for me is a selling point) plus a great sequencer....plus the System 8 itself sounds great, the ACB technology really does sound good. For me it looks like it is good to have both the JDXA and System8, they are different synths but they will really compliment each other.
Acidizer

Post by Acidizer »

HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

Must buy NOW
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

"The RSP-8A’s can be ordered as a special item. SSP is around $70. They will be available in the new year."

I'll be going Aluminium, something different to my other systs with wood... also like the black/silver
QmusicRAZZ

Post by QmusicRAZZ »

I am sure this has been answered. But how do we buy them? Straight from the Roland website or call?
rcmusic35

Post by rcmusic35 »

QmusicRAZZ wrote:I am sure this has been answered. But how do we buy them? Straight from the Roland website or call?
you can order from retailers.

rsp-8w (wood)
rsp-8a (aluminium)
QmusicRAZZ

Post by QmusicRAZZ »

I saw that as well. I just wanted to make sure this was the best way.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

I was told that there was a slight delay, and they'd be available in the USA in March. I think some parts of Europe already got some stock of both.
len73

Post by len73 »

Seems impossible to buy either version...
Stil no stock anywhere... Both products are delayed from month to month...
Don't know what the problem is...
rcmusic35

Post by rcmusic35 »

i got alu ones from music gear 2 month ago. they look cool. would have prefer them to be more ajusted
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

My wood panels just shipped from Sweetwater, should have them today or Monday
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Just a quick update (some of you probably saw my posts about this on FB), but just be aware that the stain of the wood on the RSP-8W is nothing like what you see in Roland's pictures. I was expecting "cherry", but in reality they're almost ebony. In addition, in my case, they are too thick for the screws, making it nearly impossible to truly secure them to the sides of the S8. I tried to get longer screws, but it appears that the metric vs standard issue also comes into play, and what I bought at the hardware store is just a bit too thick in the shaft. Rather than risk damaging the S8 or the panels or my sanity, I gave up and just put the aluminum ones on. They look better anyway.

Here's a pic summarizing: indoor shot of panels on my wood floor, outdoor shot in full sunlight of the panels (which almost shows the stain and grain), and indoor short of the panels on my S8, with the Moog Sub 37 above it (I thought they were going to be a closer match).

--

The picture on the Sweetwater product listing is much more accurate.

--
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

rsaintjohn wrote: I gave up and just put the aluminum ones on. They look better anyway.
Agree with you. You saved me some money, I nearly went for the wood. Cheers.
mitcho

Post by mitcho »

Dear System 8 Owners. I want to make my own sides for the System 8, got some piece of old cherry wood - can someone please measure the sides that Roland offers, length of the sides, angles, position of the holes to drill
Maybe someone can just put on side on a scanner?

Cheers
Mitch
len73

Post by len73 »

rsaintjohn wrote:Just a quick update (some of you probably saw my posts about this on FB), but just be aware that the stain of the wood on the RSP-8W is nothing like what you see in Roland's pictures. I was expecting "cherry", but in reality they're almost ebony. In addition, in my case, they are too thick for the screws, making it nearly impossible to truly secure them to the sides of the S8.
Have to confirm that as well. I received a pair yesterday and was very disappointed. Not only is the color absolutely ebony, but my pair was damaged on a side (wood was damaged before packing as package was undamaged...

Furthermore the holes where not deep enough on one side to screw anything... Had to use my workbench and dig a bigger hole to be able to screw it.

Nevertheless I will return the 8W, looks nicer without woodsides...
Will maybe change them for the alu version.

Still waiting for the feedback of my reseller to return them...

Forget about the 8W, not worth it in my opinion !!