Roland RD-800 & Classic Rock Band

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
Paul K

Roland RD-800 & Classic Rock Band

Post by Paul K »

Our four piece classic rock band (drums, bass, guitar, acoustic rhythm) just added a keyboard player. We are a fairly loud band with lots of low end (probably too much)... Our guitar player, who has a backline company has a Roland RD-800 which our new keyboard player uses. We have only used it twice. It is a great keyboard and our new band mate is a good player, however it is her first time in a band... The only setting that we have used is the Grand Piano. The first practice we found that is wasn't cutting through... Next practice, we rolled off a bit of the low end and it was an improvement. My question is, are there some settings/patches/tones that would be better suited for us? Any/all suggestions/tips are welcome. Thank you in advance.
Paul K

Re: Roland RD-800 & Classic Rock Band

Post by Paul K »

No one? Not a single member has anything to offer?
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

From my experience you're heading in the right direction, depending on the song. I keep my RD800 fairly bright in rock bands. Percussive and bright, though that would sound horrible in a piano driven ballad. The "Classic Rock" description covers a wide range, so that really doesn't say much for keys. The RD800 is a great stage piano, and a decent overall sound module, but if you need some strong synth or organ parts it tends to be so-so in those departments.
QmusicRAZZ

Post by QmusicRAZZ »

All I can say is that is a lot of piano for band just getting started with keys.
torhus

Post by torhus »

There are some piano sounds that start with "Bright", you could try those.