JP80 great sound - compare Integra

Forum for JUPITER-80
Lasseman

JP80 great sound - compare Integra

Post by Lasseman »

Hi, I'am a new JP80 owner, great sound & powerful.

In my ear JP80 has warmer and more natural sound then Korg and Virus that I also had earlier.

The Supernatural Acoustic is impressive, possibility to play Flamenco Guitar so it sound like guitar and the synth capabilities is good.

Since I already had Fantom G6, I chose between Integra and JP80, but it is more problematic to manage sound on JP80 then I thought because of lack of Librarian, but on Roland support page it seems they only have a Integra Librarian for Mac, is it really so they do not have it for PC ?

What is your opinion JP80 compared to Integra, sound quality, effects, editing and Librarian ?
kimsnarf

Re: JP80 great sound - compare Integra

Post by kimsnarf »

The sound quality is quite similar, so it is really down to workflow. The Jupiter-80 is perfect for performing, playing and enjoying the instrument. The Integra-7 is perfect for scoring, composing and controlling it from a sequencer. It also works great as a sound expansion (and multi-timbral expansion) to the Jupiter-80. :)
moogmaniac

Post by moogmaniac »

The ideal companion for the JP-80 is the Korg Kronos. The JP sounds are detailed and often closer to single instruments. The Kronos is much bigger and it is like the Kronos gives you the orchestra, the JP the individual section or soloist.

A good example is Brass. The JPs brass is mostly monophonic, the Kronos polyphonic.

They are both excellent instruments.
Dewdman42

Post by Dewdman42 »

I'm thinking about trading in my JP-80 for an integra... Does the integra cover all the analog synth sounds as the JP-80 does? Everything in terms of layering?
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

The layering is exactly what you will lose with the Integra. An Integra "analog" sound is just one of the four layers in a Jupiter lower/upper part. Sure you have 16 parts, but on the Integra they are not tightly integrated (despite the name). The Jupiter is a lot more fun (to me) and more hands-on.

If a great analog sound is what you are after, there is a lot to choose from these days. But as a sound source, the Integra covers a lot of territory without the hassle of computer software.
Dewdman42

Post by Dewdman42 »

you think if you used an external keyboard controller to layer up Integra-7 sounds you could get close to the JP80 sound, minus arp?
scottrod

Post by scottrod »

Dewdman42 wrote:you think if you used an external keyboard controller to layer up Integra-7 sounds you could get close to the JP80 sound, minus arp?
You probably could, but it would be a lot of work. They're two totally different instruments
in my mind, and not what I expected when I bought the Integra 7 after owning the Jupiter 80.

The JP 80 is a performance instrument, the I7 is multi-channel midi studio workhorse. They have some of the same sounds in them, but they have dIfferent missions, so different workflows. They just happened to come out at the same time. The Integra 7 is not a rack mounted JP-80.

FWIW, I like the JP-80 better, even if the I7 is more versatile.